Cobb stronger than he looks?

H

HardRightEdge

Here's a fun fact you won't read anywhere else.

Among the top 30 receivers in yards, Cobb has the highest ratio of 1st. downs to targets in the league. Second place isn't even close.

54 first downs/94 targets = 57.4% while being 12th. in league in yards with 980.

The next closest is DeAndre Hopkins at 51.0%. Nobody else breaks 50%.

That's some third down money.

He's caught 73.4% of the balls thrown to him, which is not terribly unusual for backs, TEs and possession receivers who are targeted on a lot of short and safe throws who average single or low double digit yard per catch. However, when you put Cobbs catch % together with his 14.2 yd. per catch it's pretty remarkable.

Throw in the 10 TDs and a 12th. ranking in YAC and it adds up to a rare combination of efficiency and productivity, the quality of the quarterbacking notwithstanding.

If they had an award for Possession Receiver of the Year, this would be the guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Lets ask the Falcons safety........ After he gets up off the field, I mean:)
I think it was last week I saw a shot of Cobb with his helmet off. He's got a lineman's neck that's as wide as his head which I don't recall noting in past seasons.

He also looks a bit more barrel chested and stocky to me than in the past. He's taken the possession role seriously in tuning his body for it, a role which is generally underrated in importance given the emphasis on fantasy stats and highlight reels.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope, you're right. Top receivers have an instinctual move ready for the moment after they catch the ball. Cobb ducked his head perfectly in time.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I think it was last week I saw a shot of Cobb with his helmet off. He's got a lineman's neck that's as wide as his head which I don't recall noting in past seasons.

He also looks a bit more barrel chested and stocky to me than in the past. He's taken the possession role seriously in tuning his body for it, a role which is generally underrated in importance given the emphasis on fantasy stats and highlight reels.
Cobb has a bench press of 380lbs

Members online

Latest posts