Cobb-Hester

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking this today because of all the hype Hester is getting. How great he is and don't get me wrong in the past that was true.But I don't feel that is the case anymore I think Cobb is better when on the line as a w.r. and in the run game two areas Hester fails on any Sunday I wouldnow worry about Cobb over Hester.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is a much better WR. As far as any "hype" surrounding Hester, it's well earned. He likely will be the 2nd Special Teams player to go to the HOF.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is a much better WR. As far as any "hype" surrounding Hester, it's well earned. He likely will be the 2nd Special Teams player to go to the HOF.

I agree. Hester is probably the best return man of all time...that's it.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb (almost) = Percy Harvin. As far as return skills go, I'd still give the edge to Hester. And I know that special teams are supposed to be just as important as offense and defense, but I still just can't buy that. Give me Cobb over Hester, every time.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb (almost) = Percy Harvin.
Yes, and that is a great thing! Having our own "Percy Harvin" has really helped this year when injuries took their toll. Hester can return kicks and punts, but after that his value isn't all that special. And since the kickoffs have been moved up, kickoff returns are less a factor. Punts can always be directionally kicked out of bounds - when I was a kid, every team seemed to do these directional kicks OB a lot. Now, few directional kicks are done, and I am not sure why, especially if a guy like Hester is returning the punt.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
All this just my opinion: Hester is a HOF returner but from the first moment Cobb walked on the Packers' practice field he was the better WR. Hester began his NFL career as a DB/returner and I honestly don't remember how good or bad he was as a DB. But he has been miscast as a WR for as long as he's been put on that side of the ball.

H

HardRightEdge

He got moved to WR because he is such a threat every time he touches the ball. I too cannot remember how good of a corner he was. Seems like he is only a ST demon.
Hester was included in the WR rotation because he insisted on it. When his first contract was up, he threatened to go FA to somebody who would give him that chance. So the Bears gave him a contract heavy with incentives on his receiving stats, and kept good on the promise to play him some. Most of the incentives have gone unearned.

As a WR, Hester is pretty bad; Cobb was better the first day he walked on the field than Hester ever was or will be.

Hester is probably the best kick returner in the modern game; Sayers might have been better but lacked longevity. Based on 2 Bears games I've watched this year, his effort in the kicking game has been indifferent at best. He has the look of a guy who doesn't care all that much about it any more.

The whole issue of where Cobb is going as a kick returner is likely moot. As his snaps increase, the Pack will be looking for new KR...maybe as soon as this coming draft. There is no more dangerous role to play on the football field than returning kicks. Hester is still out there doing it because he's got no other value.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's only because Percy does not do punt returns.

I do like Harvin but i think Hester would still have a slight edge over him in the return game. I also take health into consideration. Harvin will miss games because of his chronic migrane problem where Hester has a chance to play every Sunday.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to compare players in their prime to really do any kind of a comparison. Hester is past his prime as a returner, but he will go down as the greatest ever.

Harvin and Cobb are good returners and definitely have value at WR, but neither has reached their prime potentials yet and I don't see anything in their return games that makes me think they will ever touch Hester. Hester was phenomenal. Not taking anything away from Cobb and Harvin, they will make their marks too but not likely unseat the best returner ever.

As for receiving skills, I would already give the nod to Cobb. He has a real knack for picking his way through the defense. The only thing that makes it hard to compare Cobb to Harvin at WR is that Harvin is the #1 receiver on the Vikings, generally drawing the top CBs. Cobb still has Jennings, Nelson, and Finley all commanding equal or greater attention from defenses, so it's hard to compare production side-by-side.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I do like Harvin but i think Hester would still have a slight edge over him in the return game. I also take health into consideration. Harvin will miss games because of his chronic migrane problem where Hester has a chance to play every Sunday.
Harvin has missed 4 games since 2009. Hester has missed 4 games since 2006. Not a big difference. And Harvin hasn't had a migrane in two plus years.

Kick returns only since Harvin doesn't do punt returns.
Hester. 101 games 159 returns 23.8 yards average. 5 TD's Longest ones of 98, 97 and 96 yards
Harvin. 54 games 114 returns 27.9 yard averaged. 5 TD's Longest ones of 101, 104, 105 yards.

Have to say in kickoff returns Hester is soooooooo much better than Harvin. Hester is in his 7th year and turned 30 at the beginning of the month. Harvin is in his 4th year and turned 24 in May.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree. Hester is probably the best return man of all time...that's it.

Mel Gray, Brian Mitchell, Dante Hall, Leon Washington, Josh Cribbs = 5 guys I'd rather have returning kickoffs than Devin Hester. You could probably put Sayers in there too.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All good names, but you rarely see teams kick the ball out of bounds to ensure that they can't return it. Many teams have taken that approach with Hester. I'm glad though that Green Bay has never turned away from the challenge.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hester is one of the best all time, Cobb has a lot of similarities in play.

WR though, Hester has terrible hands, doesn't run great routes. I haven't seen him play out of the backfield. I actually think Cobb is a better version of Percy Harvin. That might be more accurate.

Cobb has a long way to go to be like Hester. But at the end of the day, Cobb is a better player. More consistency and versatility.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Hester is one of the best, if not the best return guys ever, but the big difference is that Cobb can catch 10x better and is a lot more versitile. Not bashing hester, but he is more one dimensional. Hester is not a good WR, he is sub par at best. Being that cobb did some time at QB he knows how QB's think, he runs routes properly, he comes back to the ball if the route is busted, he has running ability out of the back field, KR ability, PR ability and all of that at an early point in his career.....in 4-5 years he will be one of the biggest names in the NFL if he can stay healthy. Cobb is football savvy beyond his young age. Smarts and talent will take that kid a long ways. I'm just glad we got him and we don't have to face off against that kid.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hester is one of the best, if not the best return guys ever, but the big difference is that Cobb can catch 10x better and is a lot more versitile. Not bashing hester, but he is more one dimensional. Hester is not a good WR, he is sub par at best. Being that cobb did some time at QB he knows how QB's think, he runs routes properly, he comes back to the ball if the route is busted, he has running ability out of the back field, KR ability, PR ability and all of that at an early point in his career.....in 4-5 years he will be one of the biggest names in the NFL if he can stay healthy. Cobb is football savvy beyond his young age. Smarts and talent will take that kid a long ways. I'm just glad we got him and we don't have to face off against that kid.

4-5 years might be rather long. I wouldn't be surprised to see his production explode in 2013.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
By the 4-5 year mark I speak of, he will be held in a higher threat level than hester or harvin is held in now. He will be a guy who teams scheme against.

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
Lets not forget that the kickoff rule changed when cobb entered the league. He has had a huge disadvantage working against him. And still continues to shine.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
A couple of weeks or so ago on his weekly show with Wilde, Rodgers said that Cobb may go down as Thompson's best draft pick when it's all said and done. IMO that's not possible because of course Rodgers will go down as Thompson's best pick but it's an indication of how Rodgers views Cobb's talent, smarts, and dedication. BTW, on the most recent show Rodgers praised EDS as the future OC of the team. I know some here disagree with that evaluation of EDS but IMO that bodes well for the future of the OC position.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, it all depends on how one defines "best draft pick." If it's just the most successful then obviously you have to go with Rodgers right now. If you start factoring in draft position coupled with professional success, then you'd have to look at some of these guys:

4th Round - Josh Sitton
6th Round - Johnny Jolly, Desmond Bishop, Mason Crosby
7th Round - Matt Flynn

Obviously those guys are nowhere near Rodgers' success so it depends on how much you factor draft position into a "best draft pick" qualification.

H

HardRightEdge

Mel Gray, Brian Mitchell, Dante Hall, Leon Washington, Josh Cribbs = 5 guys I'd rather have returning kickoffs than Devin Hester. You could probably put Sayers in there too.

I think when we talk about Hester we look at both punt and kickoff abilities. And even missed field goal returns.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts