Cobb Activated

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers and Cobb can make the difference between stumbling into the playoffs only to get knocked off early and making a serious Super Bowl push. With our offense running at peak efficiency, we can compete with anyone, anywhere.
Not unless the defense, missing Matthews and Jolly now, can somehow step up and play way better than they have.

If they can, yep we can beat anyone.

But the way they have played most of the year, the Niners would run thru us.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only one I'm happy about is Mr. Rodgers.
Not that we don't need Cobb but I thought we did OK without him.
You vastly underestimate his talents. Doing "okay" isn't enough. We can be the best offense in the playoffs with him.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not unless the defense, missing Matthews and Jolly now, can somehow step up and play way better than they have.

If they can, yep we can beat anyone.

It's all about clock control. If you can punish the other team's defense regardless of what they do, you can control the clock. Our defense was among the top 10 when Rodgers went out, and our rush defense was #2. Part of that was Jolly of course, but a big part was also our offense owning TOP. We can live without Matthews and Jolly.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all about clock control. If you can punish the other team's defense regardless of what they do, you can control the clock. Our defense was among the top 10 when Rodgers went out, and our rush defense was #2. Part of that was Jolly of course, but a big part was also our offense owning TOP. We can live without Matthews and Jolly.
Sure we can live without Matthews and Jolly.
But we may not be able to advance far without them.
Other guys have to step up, which we don't know who or how yet..... I think they can, but it will take Perry, Neal, Raji, Datone Jones stepping up.
Hawk and Brad Jones too.... stop picking wrong holes. Get in there and crush them at the LOS.

D

Deleted member 6794

Our defense was among the top 10 when Rodgers went out, and our rush defense was #2.

Maybe you've got the impression that our defense was that good when Rodgers played but I think that doesn't reflect the truth.

First of all the Packers defense allowed 22.6 points per game during those seven games, which would rank 14th in the league right now.

But more importantly, take a look at the opponents the Packers faced over that span. They were able to hold three teams under 20 points, with Baltimore being the only accomplishment for me (sorry, but a Lions team without Megatron at Lambeau and a Brandon Weeden-led Browns squad aren't true measurements of a defense).

On the other hand the team played two teams that will make the playoffs this season, both times giving up 34 points. At San Francisco they weren't able to protect a fourth-quarter lead and in Cincinnati we gave up a 16-point lead in the second half, although I agree the Franklin fumble that was returned for a TD was the deciding factor in this one.

Add the 31 points the Viqueens were able to score against them and I don't think they ever were close to a top 10 defense this year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Randall Cobb at 100% is a huge addition to the offense IMO. Before the season even with Nelson, Jones, and Finley back (and at the time healthy) Rodgers predicted a 100-catch season for Cobb and said he thought Cobb was going to become a big-time star this season. Cobb is almost perfectly suited to be the slot guy in McCarthy's offense, which frees up Nelson and Jones to be the outside threats that play to their strengths. ( I think Cobb also would have been a great outlet option for the QBs not named Rodgers.)

Beyond the statistics, I don’t know where the D ranked before Rodgers got hurt but I do know there was a stark difference in their play after that happened. Wilde quoted a stat that the rushing yardage surrendered in the first six games equaled that in the last two (I don’t remember after which game he made that point). In addition to the actual effect, there seemed to be a psychological effect of Rodgers absence on the defense. The other point to be made about the D is what has propped up Capers Ds of the past that seems to be missing: Turnovers. In the past even if the D gave up chucks of yardage, its ability to give the ball back to the offense somewhat balanced the other failings of the D.

And now the defense is without three critical players. IMO whether or not Matthews is placed on IR is irrelevant now because even if he can return for a playoff game, the one-handed Clay is a shadow of the healthy playmaker we’ve come to know and love. The absence of Casey Hayward has contributed to the lack of TOs – he took up a good part of Woodson’s role in the D as a rookie (no, he did not = Charles Woodson). His 6 INTs, 1 forced fumble, and 21 passes defensed have been sorely missed. Johnny Jolly’s return could hardly have been more successful. In addition to his contribution as another wide body in the DL rotation, and one that provided some play-making ability, he became a motivational leader for the unit. He’ll be missed on both fronts. Missing three important players including their best player on D, and one on each level of the D will be difficult to overcome.

Anything can happen in the playoffs and it’s certainly possible for the Packers offense to carry the D deep into the playoffs. That’s obviously much, much more likely with the return of Rodgers and also with the return of Cobb, if both can stay healthy. But I think history shows that teams with weak defenses succeed in the playoffs usually because those defenses significantly step up in the playoffs, not because they are just carried by the offense. It’s difficult for me to envision even the rejuvenated Packers offense being able to carry this wounded D for five consecutive games against some this season’s best teams. So IMO the D will have to become more tenacious, tackle better consistently and create TOs on a more consistent basis than they've done so far this season. But they’re certainly good enough to win today and I look forward to watching them go as far as they can.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disappointing day for Cobb. Only two catches. I expected more. :whistling:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OH
MY
COBB !

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Very Sterling Sharpe vs Detroit 1993-like.....

H

HardRightEdge

Cobb is a very good football player. Glad to have him back. What's to debate?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb plays the slot.
Usually yes.
They can move him all over.
I've seen him wide left on some plays, wide right on some plays, in the backfield on some plays.
He knows all the routes. Is very versatile.

Showing the defense some un-scouted looks is great.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually yes.
They can move him all over.
I've seen him wide left on some plays, wide right on some plays, in the backfield on some plays.
He knows all the routes. Is very versatile.

Showing the defense some un-scouted looks is great.
Obviously he never ran a go route on 4th and long this season!

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Updates on Cobb:

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 14m
At #Packers practice: Randall Cobb doing a lot with offense during period open to media. Looks quick in and out of his cuts.

SportsInsights.com ‏@SportsInsights 3h
#NFL #Packers - Randall Cobb, Knee - is upgraded to probable Sunday (12/29) at Chicago

BALANCE

BRAINS

FUNNY

SPEED and HANDS

i get the feeling that the brains gif is possibly a **** take as he is getting flagged there, can you tell me why

Members online

Latest posts