Coaching hiring and timing.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Queens quickly hired Childress it seems that the coaching hirings have slowed. Which is a great benefit for the Pack. The question will be how fast TT moves when the hirings start up fast and furious again. There are still a number of quality coaches out there. We will see what TT is made of within the next couple of weeks. Any pause during that signing period could mean a huge missed opportunity.

On another note: My understanding was that the remaining Packer coaches were free to interview with other teams. Has any other team contacted Bates for either a HC job or a Coordinater position? If not, I wonder why not?

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know Robin my thoughts are either that it has been made known in NFL "circles" that Bates is the hier apparent. From what I hear Teams have expressed intrest but for some reason it does not go beyond that. So maybe TT has his mind set on Bates and is just going through the motions so to speak.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is looking for a defensive coordinator except maybe Brad Childress, because nobody has hired a new head coach yet. It is my understanding that Gunther Cunningham will stay in KC with Herm Edwards and that Childress will name Dallas' defensive backs coach as DC.

You do make a great point though. As soon as the hiring starts somebody will come after Bates. We better have our ducks in a row, if we want to keep him.

As for head coach, Bates' agent has said that a couple other teams have contacted him but none have scheduled an interview.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
I dont know Robin my thoughts are either that it has been made known in NFL "circles" that Bates is the hier apparent. From what I hear Teams have expressed intrest but for some reason it does not go beyond that. So maybe TT has his mind set on Bates and is just going through the motions so to speak.

or mabey there is a question as to bates, and his overall plan to coach a football team. especially his theroies on offence, and what kind of offence would bates run.

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack,

Childress has just hired Tomlin from Tampa Bay. So he is no longer looking for a D-Coordinator.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no need to rush into a decision. TT may have his eye on one of the assistant coaches in the playoffs, therefore he must wait until those coaches' teams are knocked off.

I don't think that TT has made up his mind yet though and that's why there's such a long list of interviewees. This decision will be the most important one TT makes, so he needs to get it right. I commend the approach of not rushing it.

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BR,

No doubt about it. Patience is a virtue. But I think we will see what TT is made of when the top candidates start to get picked off by teams. Will he "keep up with the Jones" or not?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
There was an article with the Packers and the sun coming out was way off. It said Wolf had a year under his belt then fired Infante much like TT did with Sherman. Also it was said the first day the sun came out in the new year is when Wolf announced holmgren the new coach which is where the writer was claiming the same thing would happen this year. The mitake, Wolf was hired in november, fired infante in december, hired holmgren in janurary. Basically that writer was looking for an article to write.

Members online

Latest posts