Coaching Decisions?

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wondered if some people felt the same way I did watching the game.

The staff knew they had three players on the O-Line with very limited experience as starters going up aganst one of the better defensive fronts in the NFL. But yet they chose to leave Bret Favre and Davenport in the game.

Lose Favre for what? A preseason game? And Davenport is coming off an injury as it is.

And I really had to wonder what McCarthy and Co. were thinking by having Woodson back on punts.

How much did the Packers shell out for the guy?

Woodson has had injury problems every year since 2001 and they take a chance of losing him by putting him back on punts in a preseeason game? Maybe they missed the Jason Sehorn debacle a few years back and how much it helped the Giants and his career overall.

I just don't see any sense in having Woodson out there.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's like saying it's stupid for the Saints to have Reggie Bush back on returns. He needs to practice it to see if he's good at it. If he's the best returner, he'll play returner. He could also get hurt playing CB or falling down the stairs. 1 more play doesn't really change the odds that much.

As for Brett, he was out there because he really wanted to be. ******? I don't know why the hell he was out there so long.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I THINK they wanted Favre to have SOME kind of sucess before they yanked him. Lets face it.......if he doesn't get SOME kind of flow before the regular season starts, it will be like the last several seasons, where it seemed to take 4 games into the regular season before the team started to "gel". By then the season may be lost already.
If they don't fix the O-line QUICK, we won't HAVE Favre tp play QB. He was getting killed back there.

OP
OP
JJP41

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
That's like saying it's stupid for the Saints to have Reggie Bush back on returns. He needs to practice it to see if he's good at it. If he's the best returner, he'll play returner. He could also get hurt playing CB or falling down the stairs. 1 more play doesn't really change the odds that much.

As for Brett, he was out there because he really wanted to be. ******? I don't know why the hell he was out there so long.

You can't compare Bush to Woodson. Charles Woodson is not Reggie Bush.

Woodson is a veteran and has returned punts before in the NFL, Bush is a rookie and hasn't proven himself. So there is no need to see if Woodson can do it.

And Woodson has a history of injury problems, Bush doesn't.

It took only one return for Jason Sehorn to blow out his knee in the preseason a few years ago and he was nowhere near as injury prone as Woodson at that point in time.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJP41 said:
kmac said:

I know. Woodson is less important to his franchise :lol:

OP
OP
JJP41

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hardly, but I think pretty much everyone is aware of what Woodson can do at the NFL level.

He doesn't need to be out there returning punts in the preseason considering his injury history......at least I don't think it is worth the risk.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But JJ you also cannot hold players back. Woodson actually made a rookie mistake trying to take a punt from the nine he should have let it go anyway. To take players out because they are highly paid is stupid. THEY ARE PAYED TO PLAY. so let them earn a paycheck

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also thought favre\Najeh were out there too long.

I liked the playcalling though, it was nice to see.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they are seriously thinking about using Woodson as a punt returner in the regular season so why not give him some trys in preseason?

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJP41 said:
kmac said:

Woodson is a veteran and has returned punts before in the NFL, Bush is a rookie and hasn't proven himself. So there is no need to see if Woodson can do it.

And Woodson has a history of injury problems, Bush doesn't.

It took only one return for Jason Sehorn to blow out his knee in the preseason a few years ago and he was nowhere near as injury prone as Woodson at that point in time.

Still need to stay sharp, IMO. I think it is good for Woodson to catch a few PR's in pre-season.

OP
OP
JJP41

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again......because of his litany of injuries, he hasn't played a full season since 2001. So I would have my reservations about putting him out there on punts. He isn't in his prime anymore and has already shown he can return if it came to that.

True, the players are paid a lot of money..........but they also can't do a team much good on IR.

OP
OP
JJP41

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you see LaDainian Tomlinson out there at all?

Tomlinson has 14 carries in five seasons of preseason games becasue the Bolts do not want to take a chance on losing him.

Woodson may not be L.T., but I wonder how many Packer fans would want the heads of the staff if he blew out a knee or broke a leg returning a punt in a preseason game and was lost for the season.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JJP41 said:
Did you see LaDainian Tomlinson out there at all?

Tomlinson has 14 carries in five seasons of preseason games becasue the Bolts do not want to take a chance on losing him.

Woodson may not be L.T., but I wonder how many Packer fans would want the heads of the staff if he blew out a knee or broke a leg returning a punt in a preseason game and was lost for the season.

Another factor that LT was not playing because he has a sore neck from colliding with defensive end Igor Olshansky.

OP
OP
JJP41

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the fact that he only has 14 carries in the past five preseasons is more of an example of how some teams take precautions.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JJP41 said:
I got them from the Chargers media site.

I'll have to check that out. I do recall LT being dinged up all the time so I wonder how much that plays into his minimal carries.

You're point is true though. Teams do handle reps for certain players differently.

OP
OP
JJP41

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In five years, he's only missed one regular season game so they must know something out in San Diego.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JJP41 said:
In five years, he's only missed one regular season game so they must know something out in San Diego.

The start of Pre season and Regular season is about four or five weeks. A lot can heal during that time. Also, players with 'minor' injuries would play during the regular season when it counts where as during pre season they will sit it out. I believe Sterling Sharpe was huge on that one. The man seemed to have turf toe every off season lol

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJP, Tomlinson gets that few carries because he IS the franchise. If they lose him, they are completely and utterly ******. Woodson is just one of our better defensive players.

OP
OP
JJP41

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just strikes me as somewhat funny how so many coaches now consider it somd kind of a victory just to come out of a preseason game with no injuries.

OP
OP
JJP41

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
JJP, Tomlinson gets that few carries because he IS the franchise. If they lose him, they are completely and utterly f'd. Woodson is just one of our better defensive players.

I agree with you there. But the Pack did pay him good amount of money to be a shutdown corner for them.

Shutdown corners are not easy to come by and that is why I question the staff leaving him out there to field punts considering his injury history and the fact that he is coming off a broken leg that sidelined him for over half the 2005 season.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think McCarthy just wanted too see the 1st team move the ball. We did move the ball well in Favre's last series and in all likely hood during the regular season, we kick a field goal and make that a 7-3 game. I'm not sure what kind of a difference that would of made but at least it told us that the offense wasn't a total failure. We did get into position to put up points.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson has an easy enough time getting injured playing CB. having him return punts is simply tempting fate and playing with fire imo.

i think it's a horrible idea and everybody should agree with me because i've only been wrong like...twice, ever.