1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

coaching and scheme hold Pack back

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rodell330, Jan 20, 2013.

1. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Beli calls defense. He has little to nothing to do with their offense. That was the point I was making.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I believe that your #1 priority should be to win the game you play that week. Do that and you go undefeated and win the Superbowl. Get it?

2. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,030
    McCarthy's first goal of the season beyond winning that week's game is to win each quarter - 4 games. The next goal is to win the division, then to secure a bye and then to secure home field advantage throughout the playoffs. All those goals are aiming toward winning a championship so IMO to say his first priority isn't winning the Super Bowl is just foolish.

BTW, McCarthy is the de facto OC. The loss of Philbin perhaps hurt but McCarthy was and is the driving force and play caller of the offense.

3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    But we score more points on offense then SB year..

So why does Philbin's loss hurt?

4. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,030
    "BTW, McCarthy is the de facto OC. The loss of Philbin perhaps hurt but McCarthy was and is the driving force and play caller of the offense." Since I'm not in the meetings and I don't know exactly what Philbin's role was I can't answer that. Early in the season Rodgers said we'll have to wait and see what Philbin's absence means. So even he wasn't able to definitively answer that question and he's on the inside and knows much more than we do. It does look like Philbin is competent running a team so it's likely he was competent helping McCarthy run the offense. That point was aimed at the comment that Clements was new in the OC job this season. IMO a new OC is not nearly as important on a team whose OC is really the HC, as a new DC may be. It's analogous to a new DC on Lovie Smith's Bears.