Cliff's comments on Thursdays camp

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliffs blog:
The Packers ran their two-minute drill and the results were reminiscent of last season. With Brett Favre at quarterback, the offense moved 56 yards in 10 plays to the defense's 14-yard line before linebacker Nick Barnett intercepted a fourth-down pass. With Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, the offense advanced 33 yards in seven plays before safety Marviel Underwood intercepted a pass. Favre tried to squeeze the ball through a tight window over the middle. Rodgers overthrew tight end David Martin over the middle.

In the two-minute sessions, the defense made more plays than the offense even before the interceptions. Favre threw deep to wide receiver Rod Gardner on a second-down play, and cornerback Ahmad Carroll stayed step-for-step with Gardner and broke up the pass. Cornerback Mike Hawkins also stuck with wide receiver Robert Ferguson on a jump ball in the end zone from the 23 and prevented the reception with a good defensive play. Jerron Wishom, as a cornerback on one play and a nickel back on another, deflected two Favre passes in the end zone that were intended for Gardner. Out of the 19 plays, only one receiver caught more than one pass: Ruvell Martin. He had two catches for 20 yards. Wide receiver Greg Jennings had the only drop. Favre was 5 for 10; Rodgers, 3 for 6.

In the next team session, which covered only six plays, there were two more interceptions. Rodgers had a pass intercepted at the line by defensive tackle Jerome Nichols. Rookie quarterback Ingle Martin had a pass tipped by rookie defensive end Montez Murphy into the hands of fellow rookie defensive end Jason Hunter.

With sheer quickness, rookie defensive tackle Johnny Jolly beat rookie guard Daryn Colledge in the one-on-one pass rush drill. ... Veteran defensive tackle Kenderick Allen overpowered Junius Coston, the other starting guard at the moment, on another turn.

Marquand Manuel worked with the first unit at safety ahead of Mark Roman.
-----------------------------

The defense sounds solid.

Favre & company should get better as time goes on, as I can already hear the "what the hell is wrong with our offense!" stuff.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're used to the Packers having a better offense than defense. That finally changed last year, and I think the trend will continue. This is going to be a very different team than the Packers of Holmgren and Sherman.

Reaction score
Greg C. said:
We're used to the Packers having a better offense than defense. That finally changed last year, and I think the trend will continue. This is going to be a very different team than the Packers of Holmgren and Sherman.

Greg, I have to disagree.

I think the D was better last season because of how bad our offense was. I still think the D can be average, but if the offense performs to its potential, then the offense is what will carry this team.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
With sheer quickness, rookie defensive tackle Johnny Jolly beat rookie guard Daryn Colledge in the one-on-one pass rush drill. ... Veteran defensive tackle Kenderick Allen overpowered Junius Coston, the other starting guard at the moment, on another turn.

Marquand Manuel worked with the first unit at safety ahead of Mark Roman.
-----------------------------

The defense sounds solid.

Favre & company should get better as time goes on, as I can already hear the "what the hell is wrong with our offense!" stuff.

Oh great! If Johnny Jolley and Kenderick Allen are easily handling Colledge and Coston we are in for a long year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts