Cliff asks. "Did the Lions uncover a gem?"

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of tidbits from Cliff Christl's Blog today

THURSDAY, Jan. 26, 2006, 9:46 a.m.

Matt Millen is drawing widespread praise, both in the media and around the league, for his selection of Rod Marinelli as head coach of the Detroit Lions.

"Some guys are born to be assistants and some are born to be coordinators, but when I look at Rod Marinelli I see a guy who was born to be a head coach," Monte Kiffin, defensive coordinator of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, told Chris Mortensen of ESPN. "He is a natural leader. I'm surprised nobody realized it until now."

Rich McKay, general manager of the Atlanta Falcons, told Mortensen: "It's a great match for what Matt wants right now. Rod is a special guy and he's a special coach."

Marinelli wasn't one of general manager Ted Thompson's seven interviews. Apparently, he couldn't squeeze Marinelli in around the Wade Phillips interview.

THURSDAY, Jan. 26, 2006, 9:49 a.m.
McKay on coordinators

In his interview with ESPN's Chris Mortensen, general manager Rich McKay of the Atlanta Falcons made an interesting observation. Said McKay: "The biggest mistake teams make is to simply say, 'Give me the best offensive or defensive coordinator.' You're hiring a head coach and a leader first."

Every one of general manager Ted Thompson's seven interviews was with a coordinator.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and leaders.

MM might not be a great HC, I hope he is, but the man...seems like a real good LEADER.

Guys are behind him(willie H,ahman)and he has that energy that Mike Zombie kinda lacked, unless sapp was crippling a lineman (paralysis would get him upset...that was about it).

OCs and DCs can be leaders too. Our new DC was never a coordinator...but he seems like decent leader(time will tell) as well. He was one of Bates boys, so im sure some of that energy will be visible in Sanders.

Did detroit get a gem? Maybe. Did they get a bust? possibly. Is this just another offseason speculation filler article until favre says something, or GB signs free agents? Id say yes.

but thats me.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the media said new egland would be back in the super bowl,well we no that is not true speculation and we all can do that the sason will tell who has the good coaches and who dont.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't taking a position, rather just sharing a few tidbits from a premium site -- I cannot just reprint the whole article without violating copyright laws.

Cliff can be right on the mark, just as he can be off the wall sometimes. Frankly, I think he is one of the better Packer news writers, but certainly not perfect.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny how suddenly Matt Millen, the dumbest GM in the NFL, is being praised for hiring a guy who nobody else even interviewed. And where exactly is this "widespread praise" from "around the league" coming from? From Monte Kiffin, Rich McKay, and others who have been associated with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers over the past few years. So it doesn't mean a whole lot. It's common for guys to get praised by their former colleagues.

Bruce, I appreciate the stuff you've forwarded, but don't pretend that you're not taking a position. Since Sherman was fired, you've consistently posted stuff that has been anti-Thompson and anti-McCarthy. I'm on the fence about these guys myself, and I don't mind if some fans are down on them. I'm just saying, don't pretend you're not taking a position. We say a lot about ourselves by what we choose to pass along to others.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's always easy to sit back and critisize when it is not your own neck on the line. Some jounalists have all the answers but why don't they get hired to take over a team and make millions. Just like Kiper, he has all the answers in the draft but it's funny, teams aren't clamoring to hire him for that task.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:

Matt Millen is drawing widespread praise, both in the media and around the league, for his selection of Rod Marinelli as head coach of the Detroit Lions.

Matt Millen being described as a football master mind :shock: He must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before that interveiw.... :lol:

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
Bruce said:

Matt Millen being described as a football master mind :shock: He must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before that interveiw.... :lol:

ice water came shooting out of my nose - seriously!!! :lol:

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They compare Rod-Man to Les Steckel, the Vikings bust of a head coach who thought all you had to do to win was turn the team into Marines.

Wrong.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
I cannot just reprint the whole article without violating copywrite laws.

Damn Right!

The last thing you want is the copywrite police breaking down your door at 4:30 AM and dragging you off to jail while you are wearing your Packer Pajamas and big fluffy Green and Gold slippers.

There might be big ****** Vike Fan named Vinny "The Shoe" in the holding tank that would want you to bend over and take a few snaps from under center.

RP

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg you are totally wrong in your assumption. Mike McCarthy is the coach of the Green Bay Packers and he will have my loyalty and support -- I hope for the best with him. I have praised several of his recent hires and am excited about both of the QB coaches he is said to be leaning towards.

I hope that Ted Thompson also succeeds. I have been critical of some of his moves since coming to Green Bay, but I have also praised him when I thought he made good moves. Frankly I agree with what Jeremy Green (former scout and NFL director of pro personnel, frequent quest on ESPN News and Writer for NFL INSIDER) says about Ted. Thompson:

"Eric (Minneapolis): What's the perception of Ted Thompson in Green Bay? Lately his personnel moves in the front office seem to be questionable.

Jeremy Green: (4:24 PM ET ) The perception in league and media circles is that he is in over his head. I think you could see that during his press conference when they let Sherman go. Then he hires McCarthy as the Head Coach. He is going to be under the microscope to produce quickly."

Greg C. said:
It's funny how suddenly Matt Millen, the dumbest GM in the NFL, is being praised for hiring a guy who nobody else even interviewed. And where exactly is this "widespread praise" from "around the league" coming from? From Monte Kiffin, Rich McKay, and others who have been associated with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers over the past few years. So it doesn't mean a whole lot. It's common for guys to get praised by their former colleagues.

Bruce, I appreciate the stuff you've forwarded, but don't pretend that you're not taking a position. Since Sherman was fired, you've consistently posted stuff that has been anti-Thompson and anti-McCarthy. I'm on the fence about these guys myself, and I don't mind if some fans are down on them. I'm just saying, don't pretend you're not taking a position. We say a lot about ourselves by what we choose to pass along to others.

I try to pass on balanced stuff -- but frankly coming off a 4 - 12 season, and with 14 FA and a QB whose only public statement on the issue has been, "I am not sure they want me back." there is not as much good stuff being said in NFL circles at this time.

Does the old saying, "Don't kill the messenger" ring a bell?

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider: I write copyright stuff that goes out often (and am easily identified as such) and I am more likely to get sued for copright violations than most posters who just drop in as fans. Just like Ryan has a higher degree of liability as the owner and host of this site.

I will take you sarcastic post in the playful spirit I hope you intended it to be.

Raider Pride said:
Bruce said:
I cannot just reprint the whole article without violating copywrite laws.

Damn Right!

The last thing you want is the copywrite police breaking down your door at 4:30 AM and dragging you off to jail while you are wearing your Packer Pajamas and big fluffy Green and Gold slippers.

There might be big ****** Vike Fan named Vinny "The Shoe" in the holding tank that would want you to bend over and take a few snaps from under center.

RP

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bruce said:
I try to pass on balanced stuff -- but frankly coming off a 4 - 12 season, and with 14 FA and a QB whose only public statement on the issue has been, "I am not sure they want me back." there is not as much good stuff being said in NFL circles at this time.

Brett and Ahman state they don't think the Packers want them or I should say 'dont know' if the Packers want them. That really makes me wonder what is going wrong inside the organization that two of its superstars don't even 'know' if they are wanted by the team.

I dunno, but ... that really concerns me.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce,

I was joking about Copywrite Laws.

Many people who would respond to this "Little Tidbit Of Humor." may take it personally as an attack on what they wrote would call it sarcastic. Those people.... who would take it personaly may have a self image challenge.

I know that you did not take it as a sarcastic response to you personally Bruce, and I am not one of the people who may take it that way.

After all, we all know that you write, and (I may be wrong and often am.)you have many times referred to in a suttle way, or placed yourself, or hinted, that you are a scribe.and you have connections, you make sure we know that all the time.

Some people may think your responses posts that are not yours are condescending, but I am not one of them at this time.

You obviously know your football... or read about it a great deal, copy and paste.

I am curious Bruce, I am sure many people on this forum are... What is it that you copywrite and send out that would make you far more, as you typed: "I am Far more likely to get sued for copywrite violations than most posters who just drop in as fans." As Fans? As Fans?

This must mean you are more than just a FAN of the NFL...

Come on Bruce.... If you are more than just a fan here, like all of us.. Praytell....

Personally I would like to know...

Now if you are Dan Patrick here just having fun under a moniker I would love to know.... I could call my brother and tell him I have been conversing with Dan Patrick.

That would be cool!

RP?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I, for one, don't want to know who anybody is or what kind of connections they may have. I like it that everybody is judged by what they write rather than any real or imaginary credentials. Bruce always writes interesting stuff, and that's good enough for me.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like when Bruce brings out the pictures.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Makes me feel like I'm watching NFL Films or something!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

Raider Pride: I have never said that I was more of a fan than anyone. I don't hang out much in this forum but I have posted articles I have written on occasion and even roughs of pieces I was working on because I like and respect several of the posters here -- I used to think of you as one of them -- and because Ryan has written to me and asked me to on several occasions. I don't think of it as a big deal, and certainly do not have much of an ego investment in it. I am sorry that saying I only print tidbits to be in compliance with copyright laws seemed so condescending to you.

I know I disagreed pretty strongly with you some time ago on some post, it seemed at the time and since that I obviously offended you -- for this I am sorry. I am sorry because I think of you as a bright and witty person who I thought of as having a generous spirit. I miss the easiness of our old more respectful relationship.

Life is short, I certainly don't need the aggravation of a feud with you -- take care my brother.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bruce said:

Brett and Ahman state they don't think the Packers want them or I should say 'dont know' if the Packers want them. That really makes me wonder what is going wrong inside the organization that two of its superstars don't even 'know' if they are wanted by the team.

I dunno, but ... that really concerns me.

except MM made remarks about ahman being his RB TO him...and TT has said multiple times he wants favre, and is in talks with him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
except MM made remarks about ahman being his RB TO him...and TT has said multiple times he wants favre, and is in talks with him.

Yeah that is what is stated publicly, but yet Brett and Ahman both feel compelled to publicly state 'if they want me back' ... think that might be a ploy on both their parts for attention?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it could be. I mean, id like to think they wouldnt do something like that, but we know its not true. Its as If i said "Zero, i like you, ur a coo guy" and then you said "im not sure if tromadz thinks highly of me.."

it just doesnt make much sense. I am starting to think favre really doeswant that TT reacharound

Members online