Clayton: Packers will regret Favre's departure

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN

The Green Bay Packers might be a potential playoff team, loaded with young talent. They won't be the same without Brett Favre.

Favre informed the Packers late Monday night that he is retiring, even though he knew he had more football left in him. Maybe 2008 was going to be his last season. Maybe he would have stayed for 2009. Who knows? This is Favre, who takes life day-by-day, pass-by-pass.

Regardless, it's hard seeing the Packers back at that Super Bowl level this season without him. They are just another NFC team that has a chance. Favre gave management the ultimate key to the Super Bowl door every season.

It didn't matter whether the front office was aggressive or passive in free agency. Favre was the arm and the lightning rod who offered hope every year. His retirement ends the second-greatest era in Packers football, ranking next to the days Vince Lombardi patrolled the sidelines.

Think about what Favre did in 2007. The team was one of the youngest in football. The Packers started the season without any clue as to who would be the starting running back. Except for veteran Donald Driver, Favre had a generation gap with his receivers so vast that he was more like a father than a teammate. In free agency, the Packers brought in only a backup cornerback, Frank Walker.

Because Favre is so good at making everyone around him much better, the Packers won 13 games and had a home game for the NFC title. Without Favre, it's going to be hard for coach Mike McCarthy's bunch to return to that level anytime soon.

Heir apparent to the throne Aaron Rodgers will be a functional quarterback. He has decent command in the huddle. He is reasonably accurate although he won't be able to stretch the field as efficiently as Favre. Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and Koren Robinson are a solid receiving corps that gives Rodgers the chance to be a 60 percent thrower.

The Packers have a good defense that should keep them in games, but they won't have Favre's flair for the dramatic to pull out games that were destined to be losses.

On top of that, they are old at the tackle and have questions at guard. What the Packers will miss most about Favre is his ability to make average lines great because of his quick release and knowledge of the passing game.

It's probably no coincidence Favre retired the day after Randy Moss decided to stay with the Patriots, signing a three-year, $27 million contract. As much as Favre loves Driver and his young receivers, it's in his nature to go for the long ball.

He wanted Moss. He wanted him last season, but the Packers wanted a two-year contract, while Moss wanted a one-year deal.

For the past month, Favre has been lamenting the opportunity he and the Packers lost in the NFC title game. Having been to two Super Bowls, he knows how hard it is to get home-field advantage for a title game, and he realized the Packers' chances in 2008 weren't good.

Moss would have been the one piece -- in Favre's eyes -- that might have put the Packers over the top. Sure, he realized it would be tough to get Moss to come to Green Bay, but they share agents, and given the authority by management, he would have made a push. He didn't get that authority.

Since Favre and Mike Holmgren were together in Green Bay, the Packers have been Favre's team. For the past couple of years, he has felt a little estranged because of the Packers' youth and the team's emphasis on drafting players instead of chasing them in free agency. He was a short-timer and knew it, but the thrill of competing for a championship and his love for the game kept him coming back.

Moss stayed with Tom Brady. Favre was left with a young Packers roster and decided to hang it up. The Pack still can be back, but without Favre, it's just part of the pack in the NFC.

I just.... . did John watch any games, or see Rodgers ever? Or listen to the voicemail on Mort's phone or anything relevant to this situation? I say no.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with what he said, for the most part.

This next year, Rodgers will be functional. Has a first year starter ever made it to the Superbowl? I am not positive but I don't think so.

It definately hurts our chances and our management has already stated that.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

This next year, Rodgers will be functional. Has a first year starter ever made it to the Superbowl? I am not positive but I don't think so.

Ben Roethlisberger comes to mind...

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say look at Phillip Rivers in San Diego after Brees left. Granted they had LT, but it's not too far fetched

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roethlisberger had two things that Rodgers doesn't, a dominant running game and a dominant defense.

We can have both, but a couple of guys have to really step up in order to do so. Cliff Christl always said that people won't truly appreciate how great Favre was until he's gone. I guess we'll get to see whether he's right about that (I, for one, think he is).

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what the media is going to say. Prepare for an off season of Packer bashing because nobody believes in this team without Favre.

To be fair, Clayton isn't saying they can't be good but he doesn't believe they'll be as good or elite in the NFC.

Truth be told I think the Packers are going to be ok and should be favorite to win the division. With that said, with Favre I put us #3 behind Colts and Patriots going into the season. Without him, I drop the Packers behind Colts, Patriots, Chargers, Cowboys, Giants, and Jaguars for sure.

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me ignorant, optimistic, or just a Favre hater(you guys know I love him), but I see Favre's impact on this franchise as more of the sentimental kind.

Rodge has, imo the same physical tools that Brett had last year, minus a few mph on the fastball. And Aaron is more mobile than Brett's been recently.

Sure, Rodgers will have his mistakes. But I have high hopes for the D, and we saw what the ground game can do when the linemen execute. And we all know what our wideouts are capable of.

IMO, this season's success depends more on team health than it does the ability of Rodgers vs. Favre.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

Tom Brady?

jessefly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ive wanted to see rodgers play for a while now...and id let him take the job

but im honestly crushed for a few days now that bretts gone :(

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with pack_in_black. My only concern w/ Rodgers is that he seems prone to injury, but as a back up, maybe you baby the scrapes on your knees or paper cuts a little more than if you're relied upon as the head cheese.

It's only one game, but he performed admirably against Dallas, showed a lot of mobility and managed that particular game much better than Favre.

From the limited performances we've seen from Aaron, I'm optomistic about the Packer's chances under him.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

He actually made the SB in his second year.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
C

Rodge has, imo the same physical tools that Brett had last year, minus a few mph on the fastball. And Aaron is more mobile than Brett's been recently.

Playing QB is more mental than physical. (See Michael Vick)

ftwuno

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
trippster said:

He actually made the SB in his second year.

it was his first

Members online

Latest posts