Clay Matthews

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 5m

Yes. Sounds like Matthews sustained the same injury. Not good. RT @TimBruce: hey Rob. 52 updates??

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 4m

@RobDemovsky Re-broke it again? Surgery 2nd time is always harder.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perfect example of what could happen if Rodgers is rushed back. Clay had some time to heal, but obviously would play without a cast if it was perfectly fine.

Plus, a clavicle can't be casted like a thumb.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Perfect ending for the season for cm3... lack of overall production pre-injury, gets injured and out for a while, comes back and still not much production, gets re-injured and out for the last game and a half. wow......

I know I will get some "disagree" X's on this, but I could care less....... His output this season sure as hell didn't reflect that massive pay raise he got. There were DOZENS of guys with less of a name that got a hell of a lot more sacks/pressures/hits etc..... Just seems that he got slower and weaker. Been focusing on him and he seems to have lost the hand battles he used to win and his footwork has been slow and sloppy, no more explosive moves coming off the snap. He get man handled by the average LT's.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Perfect ending for the season for cm3... lack of overall production pre-injury, gets injured and out for a while, comes back and still not much production, gets re-injured and out for the last game and a half. wow......

I know I will get some "disagree" X's on this, but I could care less....... His output this season sure as hell didn't reflect that massive pay raise he got. There were DOZENS of guys with less of a name that got a hell of a lot more sacks/pressures/hits etc..... Just seems that he got slower and weaker. Been focusing on him and he seems to have lost the hand battles he used to win and his footwork has been slow and sloppy, no more explosive moves coming off the snap. He get man handled by the average LT's.

I've been focusing in on Matthews as well and I have to say that I'm in agreement with you. He isn't tying up two blockers as a lot of fans and game announcers would have you believe -- that is not to say that his loss for the remainder of whatever this season holds in store isn't a blow given the "fragile" nature of this entire team.

Still and the same, I want them in the playoffs with or without Rogers .... now, just to make life miserable for Bears fans....whom I really ... really ... have never had much use for. The franchise (at least under Lovie {Mrs. Howell}) doesn't make me puke a little bit anymore ... but their fans do. So.... beat the Bears ... Go Pack.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He had 3 sacks through 4 games, or a pace of 12 sacks for the year. That's pretty good, especially when you consider that he spent much of his time in the first 2 games in a contain role.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we actually played better she Mathews was out. This guy plays great, but he is always injured and I really haven't seen that fire he had before and it wouldn't matter if he was being double or triple teamed. He was still getting pressure.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He had 3 sacks through 4 games, or a pace of 12 sacks for the year. That's pretty good, especially when you consider that he spent much of his time in the first 2 games in a contain role.

Not sure if that is correct, think he had 3 sacks till injury. Either way, the lack of production and being dominant does NOT reflect what he is capable of doing or his MASSIVE pay check. I like him, but this consistant injury bug of his is irratating to say the least. I am getting paid 13 mil per season, I take a numbing shot in that thumb and go out there and keep playing. Hell Favre played with a broken thumb on his THROWING hand and still had a decent game. Guys need to man the f*ck up now a days.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not honestly that concerned. The defense played better mid-season while he was out anyway.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but I don't know if we tailor the playcalling too much to him or what when he's in, but for whatever reason, when he came back, we started regressing on D again.

Not saying it's not a big loss, but it's not even comparable to Rodgers.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay had missed 6 games in four years up till this year. There are plenty of other edge rushers who have missed about the same amount of time. Von Miller reportedly tore his acl Sunday.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it could also be that other teams OL's are playing CM better than previous, keeping the ball away from him and running away from where he lines up

as much as i am a fan, i don't the same game time obviously and probably don't for the same things during games as you veterans do

D

Deleted member 6794

it could also be that other teams OL's are playing CM better than previous, keeping the ball away from him and running away from where he lines up.

Teams don´t run away from Matthews, he´s not a great run defender. And this season he hasn´t been a great pass rusher either.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams don´t run away from Matthews, he´s not a great run defender. And this season he hasn´t been a great pass rusher either.
even in the three games i've managed to see over here, i would agree that CM hasn't had anywhere near the impact on games that even i would expect from him.

my point was that maybe other teams have figured out how to deal better with him than in previous seasons, and therefore it is now up to CM to make sure he rises to the way he is being played against to start making that impact once more, it is up to the player to be adabtable to the situations

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if that is correct, think he had 3 sacks till injury. Either way, the lack of production and being dominant does NOT reflect what he is capable of doing or his MASSIVE pay check. I like him, but this consistant injury bug of his is irratating to say the least. I am getting paid 13 mil per season, I take a numbing shot in that thumb and go out there and keep playing. Hell Favre played with a broken thumb on his THROWING hand and still had a decent game. Guys need to man the f*ck up now a days.

Right and he was injured on the 4th game of the season. As for manning up, I don't think Matthews wouldn't be out there if he could be. A pace of 12 sacks in a year is pretty good when you consider all of the other things that he does. He's one of the best pass rush oriented OLBs in the league in coverage, he's above average in stacking up against the run and he's might be the best of all OLBs and DEs in the league in producing TFLs. How many times have we seen him knife into the backfield and threaten to seize the handoff? Clay Matthews is the most versatile box defender in the game and it'd show up more if other parts of the Defense would play better.

As for his toughness I couldn't disagree more, although durability is a problem. The guy plays with violence in every single snap even when playing hurt. The difference is that medical staffs are completely different now a days. Whereas they used to just pump em full of pain killers and send them out without a care in the world for long term health or liability now they actually try to prevent long term injuries. The game might not be as **** but I suspect you'll start to see more and more longevity in this league.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not a great run defender? what film have you been watching? or read that at? Clay Matthews defends the run just as good as any olb in the NFL and sets a mean edge. I'd have to disagree with you there buddy. As far as pass rusher the guy has been playing hurt behind a sorry D line where nobody else can get pressure on the QB. Tell me how many times you have seen teams single block a HEALTHY Clay Matthews with great success. It's hard to use your hands when you are in a cast. He broke his thumb getting a sack..twice.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been focusing in on Matthews as well and I have to say that I'm in agreement with you. He isn't tying up two blockers as a lot of fans and game announcers would have you believe -- that is not to say that his loss for the remainder of whatever this season holds in store isn't a blow given the "fragile" nature of this entire team.

Still and the same, I want them in the playoffs with or without Rogers .... now, just to make life miserable for Bears fans....whom I really ... really ... have never had much use for. The franchise (at least under Lovie {Mrs. Howell}) doesn't make me puke a little bit anymore ... but their fans do. So.... beat the Bears ... Go Pack.

Just because you don't see two blockers on him doesn't mean that he isn't garnering extra protection. Teams love to slide guards his way to allow OTs to cheat outside. They also frequently chip him on obvious passing downs which limits the effectiveness of his spectacular edge rushing ability.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Just because you don't see two blockers on him doesn't mean that he isn't garnering extra protection. Teams love to slide guards his way to allow OTs to cheat outside. They also frequently chip him on obvious passing downs which limits the effectiveness of his spectacular edge rushing ability.

I understand that ... just sayin' ... further, I noted that the defense as a whole played pretty well when he was injured earlier as well...solely an observation

D

Deleted member 6794

Not a great run defender? what film have you been watching? or read that at? Clay Matthews defends the run just as good as any olb in the NFL and sets a mean edge. I'd have to disagree with you there buddy. As far as pass rusher the guy has been playing hurt behind a sorry D line where nobody else can get pressure on the QB. Tell me how many times you have seen teams single block a HEALTHY Clay Matthews with great success. It's hard to use your hands when you are in a cast. He broke his thumb getting a sack..twice.

I agree the injury has an influence on his pass rushing ability. Won´t agree with you though that he´s a great run defender.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Right and he was injured on the 4th game of the season. As for manning up, I don't think Matthews wouldn't be out there if he could be. A pace of 12 sacks in a year is pretty good when you consider all of the other things that he does. He's one of the best pass rush oriented OLBs in the league in coverage, he's above average in stacking up against the run and he's might be the best of all OLBs and DEs in the league in producing TFLs. How many times have we seen him knife into the backfield and threaten to seize the handoff? Clay Matthews is the most versatile box defender in the game and it'd show up more if other parts of the Defense would play better.

As for his toughness I couldn't disagree more, although durability is a problem. The guy plays with violence in every single snap even when playing hurt. The difference is that medical staffs are completely different now a days. Whereas they used to just pump em full of pain killers and send them out without a care in the world for long term health or liability now they actually try to prevent long term injuries. The game might not be as **** but I suspect you'll start to see more and more longevity in this league.

Injury set aside..... he has started 11 games this season and currently has 7 sacks. Less than 1 per game = not that great

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks

BY THE WAY....READ PLEASE PEOPLE. I said I liked him, just making the OBSERVATION that is TRUE that he has a lack of production going on, even missing 4 games, his pace is not what a $13M per year player should be producing.

If you look at the link, the leaders are far and away leaps and bounds ahead, yes he missed 4 games, but averaging less than 1 per game and missing 4 games would have him at 10 for the season....otherwise in about 14th - 15th place. Hardly that disruptive IMO.

Should he be accounted for, yes indeed.... do teams fear him like they used to, NO way. I see even the most average LT having their way with him. His speed and footwork are not there, his spin move is not as effective as it once was, and his bull rush leaves a lot on the table. I understand that his hand(s) cannot fully be used due to pain in the thumb, but no excuse for looking slower and weaker overall.

He is one of my favorite players and always will be, but if you can remove your homer blinders for a moment, you will see the truth.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about all the games, but I did notice that the Falcons double teamed Matthews a lot. Maybe most teams have done that too.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course his production has fallen off while playing with a broken hand, to think it would not is just silly. And I do not know what some of you are watching but comments like 'he does not play the run well" and "the defense played better when he was out" are some of the most mind boggling things I have read on this site yet, it is like you don't even watch the game and get all your information from box scores.

I completely understand everyone being frustrated with the injury but acting like he is not a GREAT player simply because of that is crazy. If you had actually watched the game yesterday, you would have a seen a CM3 that was poised for a huge game, he had already crashed the back side of the line twice to blow up and make tackles on 2 running plays that went for little gain. On the sack he completely embarrassed the LT on his way to the easy sack.

I mean seriously, what are some of you watching?

1. This defense is flat out lousy without a healthy clay on the field, to suggest they are better just really shows a lack of any football acumen.

2. A healthy clay is one of the most disruptive defensive players in the entire league in both the passing game and the running game.

Again, if you question solely how much the guy is getting injured, I have no rebuttal for that and agree it is getting pretty frustrating, but the other comments about him are flat out wrong.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course his production has fallen off while playing with a broken hand, to think it would not is just silly. And I do not know what some of you are watching but comments like 'he does not play the run well" and "the defense played better when he was out" are some of the most mind boggling things I have read on this site yet, it is like you don't even watch the game and get all your information from box scores.

I completely understand everyone being frustrated with the injury but acting like he is not a GREAT player simply because of that is crazy. If you had actually watched the game yesterday, you would have a seen a CM3 that was poised for a huge game, he had already crashed the back side of the line twice to blow up and make tackles on 2 running plays that went for little gain. On the sack he completely embarrassed the LT on his way to the easy sack.

1. This defense if flat out lousy without a healthy clay on the field, to suggest they are better just really shows a lack of any football acumen.

2. A healthy clay is one of the most disruptive defensive players in the entire league in both the passing game and the running game.

Again, if you question solely how much the guy is getting injured, I have no rebuttal for that and agree it is getting pretty frustrating, but the other comments about him are flat out wrong.

Just looking at #1, the defense played a very good 4th quarter yesterday with no Clay. Zero points without Flynn's fumble. That's not lousy. Obviously, Clay makes them better, but they did show they can play well without him.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just looking at #1, the defense played a very good 4th quarter yesterday with no Clay. Zero points without Flynn's fumble. That's not lousy. Obviously, Clay makes them better, but they did show they can play well without him.

True, and they also gave up 24 points without him in the game as well but in the end yesterday's loss had nothing to do with clay either way, it was all about self inflicted mistakes by the team. Penalties, turnovers, **** poor play calling, **** poor clock management at the end of the game.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. This defense is flat out lousy without a healthy clay on the field, to suggest they are better just really shows a lack of any football acumen.
I agree with your second point, but your first point is proven wrong by statistics (below). For the stats below, I did not include the Lions or Steelers games in which he partially played, because I don't have time to break down the statistics by quarter:

Packers D - First 3 Weeks with Matthews
Opp 3rd Down Conv: 40%
Opp 4th Down Conv: 67%
Opp Completion %: 68%
Opp Passing Yards per game: 313 yards
Opp Rushing Yards per attempt: 3.7 yards
Sacks Per Game caused by Packers D: 2.3 sacks
Turnovers Per Game caused by Packers D: 1.7 turnovers (fumbles & int's)

Packers D - Middle 4 Weeks without Matthews
Opp 3rd Down Conv: 31%
Opp 4th Down Conv: 50%
Opp Completion %: 53%
Opp Passing Yards per game: 212 yards
Opp Rushing Yards per attempt: 4.25 yards
Sacks Per Game caused by Packers D: 3.0 sacks
Turnovers Per Game caused by Packers D: 0.5 turnovers (fumbles & int's)

Packers D - Last 6 Weeks with Matthews
Opp 3rd Down Conv: 41%
Opp 4th Down Conv: 67%
Opp Completion %: 64%
Opp Passing Yards per game: 256 yards
Opp Rushing Yards per attempt: 5.2 yards
Sacks Per Game caused by Packers D: 3.0 sacks
Turnovers Per Game caused by Packers D: 1.8 turnovers (fumbles & int's)

Essentially, the defense played better (opponent aside) during Clay Matthews' absence except that their rushing defense continued to got worse and continued to get worse after he returned, and we got less turnovers while he was gone. Otherwise, most of the main statistics point to the defense playing better without Matthews.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts