Clay Matthews to the Rams

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the moves (or lack thereof) here and with Cobb are probably the correct ones. But they don't feel great.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
It had to be done CM3 and Cobb were not what they once were and was holding the team back. It was time to bring in fresh blood after many seasons of same ole crap. Just like when TT and MM first came to GB cleaning out aging Vets who havent provided much and starting anew.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay played his heart out for this team, changed positions when we needed it, and was a big part of bringing another Lombardi Trophy to Green Bay. From the start, he was dogged by nagging hamstring injuries. He did his best but it's time to part ways. He'll be a fan alumni favorite for the rest of his life.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early in their careers, they really helped the team but over the years injuries got in the way and they weren't able to play to the best of their abilities.

I agree that it was time to part ways, but I will have fond memories of Matthews calling the fumble in the SB. I will also remember Cobb's Kick Off reception and run back for a TD when he was a rookie. I wish them both well moving forward.

But geez Cobb, did you have to go to the Cowboys? :eek:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will never forget that great hit by Mathews causing the fumble while the Steelers were driving in the super bowl.

No question that, in his prime, he was one of the best defensive players in the long and storied history of the Green Bay Packers.

Nothing lasts forever, and every time a door closes a new one opens, etc. But thanks for the memories, Claymaker….I wish you well.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad he got paid again. He was pretty selfless, great teammate. Switched positions and didn't *****. Had to deal with a lot of injuries there for a couple seasons it seemed but he fought thru them. Was kind of hoping he'd be back as a rotational player for us, but getting 2 years 18+, i'm happy for him and happy it wasn't us that paid him that.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Just promise to take it easy on your boy Rodgers in the NFC Championship game next January. ;)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Early in their careers, they really helped the team but over the years injuries got in the way and they weren't able to play to the best of their abilities.

I agree that it was time to part ways, but I will have fond memories of Matthews calling the fumble in the SB. I will also remember Cobb's Kick Off reception and run back for a TD when he was a rookie. I wish them both well moving forward.

But geez Cobb, did you have to go to the Cowboys? :eek:
Actually Greene said it is time..

Clay said spill it to Pickett

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a bit much. You can argue Cobb didn't live up to the hype after the one season, but not Matthews. Both, especially Cobb, were great Packers.

Hard to say a guy that leads the Packers all time in a few categories, robbed them of anything. Like you said, Cobb sure.

But CM3 was a beast and with the correct DLine, he can still cause some problems. I am interested to see what he can do next to Donald and Fowler.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Hard to say a guy that leads the Packers all time in a few categories, robbed them of anything. Like you said, Cobb sure.

But CM3 was a beast and with the correct DLine, he can still cause some problems. I am interested to see what he can do next to Donald and Fowler.

Clay should of been cut 3 years ago. I will never forget seeing him on the sideline in crunch time during the 2015 NFC champ game while Richard Sherman was out there playing with basically one arm. Yet people like to point the finger at QUITTERS on here all the time.

Ever since the PED investigation Matthews has been MEDIOCRE. I am not sad at any of this at all.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wrong move. We paid him a huge contract that he didn't live up to. Didn't necessarily mean they are bad. He would be a great asset to the Rams.

We should have retained him on a lesser contract.

Edit: Reportedly, Matthews signed a two-year deal worth $16.75 million. Hmmm....I'm still undecided.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay should of been cut 3 years ago. I will never forget seeing him on the sideline in crunch time during the 2015 NFC champ game while Richard Sherman was out there playing with basically one arm. Yet people like to point the finger at QUITTERS on here all the time.

Ever since the PED investigation Matthews has been MEDIOCRE. I am not sad at any of this at all.

Lol. 2 years ago he lead the team in sacks and QB hits with a pitiful defense that gave up 24 points a game. So teams were primarily running the ball against them with a lead because Hundley was playing.

Granted, 7.5 sacks is nothing to brag about but with no help, I am not going to fault him for it.

Perhaps it was time to move on, but he went to the right team to succeed for the last few years of his career.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Again very unfair. Distill a 10 year stint with a team down to one moment of you seeing him standing on the sideline due to an injury that you're personally deeming not significant enough to warrant him sitting out based on.........? Cool.

Members online

Latest posts