Clay Matthews: Quick as Lightning

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Quickness of Packers Outside Linebacker Clay Matthews | Cheesehead TV

Read and be in awe.

Clay Matthews is the best pass rusher I've seen since Reggie White.

Clay Matthews, Quick As Lightning

By Brian Carriveau on Nov 09, 2010 with 8 Comments
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The above photo is paused moments after the snap of the football on the play in which Clay Matthews caught the deflection from A.J. Hawk on his way to a 62-yard interception return for a touchdown.

Notice how far upfield Matthews is compared everyone else on the defense. Compare that to Frank Zombo on the opposite side of the field who's not even out of his stance yet.

This is not an unusual scene. Record a game and pause it immediately after the snap of the ball on any given play, and you'll very likely be witness to a very similar scene.

This is one reason why Matthews is so good, why he can knife through the offensive line before any player has time to react. His quick-twitch muscle coordination is nearly unparalleled.

It's also just one more piece of evidence why Matthews very likely could end up as the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year.

jakeslaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D P O Y if he keeps it up no doubt about that. Hell if he keeps making plays all over the field, not just sacks, but huge hits in the back field, fumbles, int, he could make a very real push for MVP

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D P O Y if he keeps it up no doubt about that. Hell if he keeps making plays all over the field, not just sacks, but huge hits in the back field, fumbles, int, he could make a very real push for MVP
DPOY for The Claymaker.
MVP for A-Rod.
Then that way you'll have 3 top awards going to 3 different Packers within two years.
(Charles Woodson last year.)

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
DPOY for The Claymaker.
MVP for A-Rod.
Then that way you'll have 3 top awards going to 3 different Packers within two years.

I feel that but Rogers would have to step up his game exponentially if he were to make a bid for MVP. Matthews, on the other paw, has been consistently playing at an all pro level since the moment he stepped on the field in Philly for game one (just ask Kolb and Vick). Therefore Matthews bid for not only DPOV, but also MVP are both plausible, the more probable being DPOV.

If he gets it this year, it will be said that Green Bay is hoarding DPOVs!! ;)

EauClaire_Jetfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mathews is one of the best players in the league right now. I dont know if he will win MVP because of the politics of the game but he should win DPOY with no problem. Who would his compitition be?

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
That is amazing. He is fast! Glad he is on our team, we always manage to get some of the best defensive players. I love it. (smiling)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay would have to get the sack record and the packers would have to have one of the best records in the league for him to be the MVP

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DPOY for The Claymaker.
MVP for A-Rod.

I feel that but Rogers would have to step up his game exponentially if he were to make a bid for MVP. Matthews, on the other paw, has been consistently playing at an all pro level since the moment he stepped on the field in Philly for game one (just ask Kolb and Vick). Therefore Matthews bid for not only DPOV, but also MVP are both plausible, the more probable being DPOV.

If he gets it this year, it will be said that Green Bay is hoarding DPOVs!! ;)

Clay has a better shot at MVP right now than Rodgers does.
Oh I know what it would take for A-Rod to get MVP.
A guy can dream, can't he?

My point is that I would rather see 3 Packers sharing awards rather than just one getting them all.

Sadly Payton Manning, Tom Brady and me all have better chances then Clay, Im sorry its a QB game
OK.
Back to the idea of A-Rod getting MVP honors instead of Clay.

(I really don't think these awards mean much. Some guy gets it, but then it's forgotten about a few days later with the SB. And even if they don't get awards, at least they still have a handsome pay check.)
Frankly, I'd rather see the Packers win games, including post season, than to get awards. :amen:

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he should have been DEFENSIVE ROOKIE of the YEAR in 2009, this would be a nice "I TOLD YA SO!" for 2010 to get a DPOY

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts