Clay Matthews on Leno

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Of course the NFL got mad...they are phaggots about everything. Goodell needs to go.

Good grief, what do they care? Honestly, I have no idea why they would frown on that.

Editing to add: I have seen Clay look a little tongue-tied before (just after the game - he was probably still recovering from it all), but wow, does he come off well in this Leno piece. Really poised, confident...like an old pro at talking to the media. Really nice.

davelutz22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol how pissed was the nfl when you held up the title belt... There were mad, but were the champs hahaha

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a very good interview, well worth watching.

I personally think Clay's Title Belt presentation was more entertaining than the NFL's entire post game celebration. They should be thanking Clay for boosting ratings drawing interest to the post game show rather than moaning about it. You can't really get mad at what a winning team does right after they win the SB. Their emotions are so charged. To further the case, I don't recall them grumbling when whoever it was said, "I'm going to Disneyland (world)" in his post game interview. That has now become a recurring theme in the SB. Perhaps now the Title Belt will become a recurring theme of it's own.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a very good interview, well worth watching.

I personally think Clay's Title Belt presentation was more entertaining than the NFL's entire post game celebration. They should be thanking Clay for boosting ratings drawing interest to the post game show rather than moaning about it. You can't really get mad at what a winning team does right after they win the SB. Their emotions are so charged. To further the case, I don't recall them grumbling when whoever it was said, "I'm going to Disneyland (world)" in his post game interview. That has now become a recurring theme in the SB. Perhaps now the Title Belt will become a recurring theme of it's own.
I gave you a "like" for that first sentence right there, Kitty Kat.

As for the rest of your post:
The NFL might make some $ off of Aaron Rodgers saying Dizzyland/World.
They won't make $ off the title belt. Plus the belt reflects another "sport" that may compete with the NFL. (Do they show wrestling during football games at any time ever?)
So for those reasons could be why they frown on the belt.
No money and a fake sport competes with the real one.
It really is a No Fun League.

Maybe someone should make a Champ Belt with the "G" and the number 12 on it
Woody did that.
At least a sig pic.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Leno has no clue...Didnt know about the belt, and didnt he say something like..Maybe you will get a shampoo commercial?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leno has no clue...Didnt know about the belt, and didnt he say something like..Maybe you will get a shampoo commercial?
I think he was joking about the shampoo thing because he called him a "suave guy" twice. In the intro and at the end.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah, the NFL didn't like it cause they don't want anything to compete with the Lombardi Trophy as the "icon" for the SB Trophy/Prize. They make a ton of money promoting the Lombardi on all sorts of merchandise. They don't want their symbol they have worked so hard to promote diluted by a $300 title belt thing.

I guarantee you security will NOT let that happen at the next SB which is kind of a shame. I thought it was funny as hell!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave you a "like" for that first sentence right there, Kitty Kat.

As for the rest of your post:
The NFL might make some $ off of Aaron Rodgers saying Dizzyland/World.
They won't make $ off the title belt. Plus the belt reflects another "sport" that may compete with the NFL. (Do they show wrestling during football games at any time ever?)
So for those reasons could be why they frown on the belt.
No money and a fake sport competes with the real one.
It really is a No Fun League.

Woody did that.
At least a sig pic.

Then I fully expect The Mouse to be there in his finest next SB!!! ;)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the NFL didn't like it cause they don't want anything to compete with the Lombardi Trophy as the "icon" for the SB Trophy/Prize. They make a ton of money promoting the Lombardi on all sorts of merchandise. They don't want their symbol they have worked so hard to promote diluted by a $300 title belt thing.

I guarantee you security will NOT let that happen at the next SB which is kind of a shame. I thought it was funny as hell!

Yeah. There will be a 35 yard penalty not on the kick off but from the line of scrimmage and a 2 million dollar fine if that actual belt comes out next time during a game.

I was like "Aaron got his belt! An actual belt! That is so awesome!"

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I hate rodger goodell with a passion, No Fun League needs to end. Nothing positive has happened under his leadership, the man is a one man NFL wrecking crew.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to Clay.

I would love to be a fly in the room the day he walks in with hardware to show to his Dad and Grandpa, just to here their reactions. I read his Grandpa told him he was a better player than him. His Dad held him out of games as his coach in HS. I'm sure Clay respects his family but..

"Hey, check out my SB ring, what da ya think?"

LOL.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I'm sure his dad will be like, "See son, holding you out all those years, did you good. Saved your body from tons of injuries and gave you the motivation to make it! You can thank me later!"

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was cool seeing his dad cheering on his son after the pick 6 in the Dallas game.

(Shakes head at the continued disbelief that the wrong player got DPOY.)

Nick 52

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this.

Here in the UK we get a heavily edited version of the Leno show (shown the day after US broadcast) , on some obscure satellite channel. So this whole interview was condensed into about 2 minutes. Nevertheless, being a huge fan of the Claymaker, I recorded it and watch it all the time. I'm thankful that I've now been able to see the whole interview.

Members online

Latest posts