$$ Clay Matthews deserves the new big deal before Rodgers

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think Clay should get $15 million a year and Rodgers $25 million a year. $40 million in cap in two players. That should do it.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Is so then only for fact that Clay is in a contract year. Much as I hate to say it like this, Even though both are irreplaceable, Clay is more replaceable than Aaron, plus Aaron's deal will obviously be the bigger cap expendature. I'm a fan of getting your bigger contract done first.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The believe the discussion needn't go further than stating that Matthews is entering his final year while Rodgers has two years left. Matthews should get done first. You know we will, under no circumstances, let either of them go. Get Matthews signed now, give him a signing bonus; that'll chew up most of the space for this year. Let Rodgers play, work on his contract next season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I care that both get done and that both get done in as cap friendly way as possible. I don't care at all about the order in which they get done.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Due respect Jack, but the question of which should get done first is a much different question than whether you care which gets done first.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im a fan off getting the contract that expires sooner done first. On the other hand aaron Rodgers is the most important player on the team. Matthews is the most important player on defense..theres the difference. Clay will get about what Demarcus ware and terell suggs makes. 12 to 15 mil a year.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just trying to figure out why it makes more sense, apparently, to re-sign Rodgers this season than next. 2 years left on his contract. Because they think it'll be cheaper in the long-run to sign him sooner? I just don't know.

HAPPY EASTER!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Bozz, just an offering here ... not based in fact and I don't have a degree in psychology (took enough psychology in college to "F" me up for the rest of my life, but that doesn't count) ...

It makes sense (not more or less or any other predication, but just 'sense'...perhaps "justification" is the word I'm reach for...) to sign Rodgers first because QB's are notorious ego-maniacs and I couldn't see the benefit in having your QB1 wondering WHY his team doesn't show the love when he should be doing his progressions. It's only human nature to feel such things. It's just that in our day-to-day we're not talking about 10's of millions per year. ;) Phft...after a while, they just become little sheets of paper ... or ... welcome to 2013, weeds .... a series of ACH transactions on your smart phone's home banking page. Crazy as it sounds, after a while, holding $100,000 in cash, in your hands...becomes a job. ;) Poor guys. ;)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Due respect Jack, but the question of which should get done first is a much different question than whether you care which gets done first.
That's a distinction without a difference IMO. IOW if I thought one should get done first, I’d care which one was done first. But I don’t: IMO Thompson and Ball should do whichever one first they believe serves the best interest of the Packers. Again, as long as both get done, I don’t care what they decide about who goes first.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im with Bozz on this one. Rodgers deal imo could have waited. How do you think matthews feels knowing hes going into his final year year yet they are planning on giving Rodgers 25 mil a yr?? I dont see any big name free agents coming to Green Bay for a looong time.

Cheddar17

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both contacts need to get done this season regardless of the order. I don't think it will be a problem negotiating a deal with either of them. If I had to choose one to sign first, it would be Rodgers because his contract will take up more cap space.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im with Bozz on this one. Rodgers deal imo could have waited. How do you think matthews feels knowing hes going into his final year year yet they are planning on giving Rodgers 25 mil a yr?? I dont see any big name free agents coming to Green Bay for a looong time.

Free agency is for GMs that fail at the draft, and TT is Charlie sheen'n them (winnnnnnning!)

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I don’t: IMO Thompson and Ball should do whichever one first they believe serves the best interest of the Packers.

Fair enough. I want Matthews' done first because I think that best serves the interests of the Packers. My assumption. Beyond that, I don't care either.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free agency is for GMs that fail at the draft, and TT is Charlie sheen'n them (winnnnnnning!)
I wouldn't say San Fran, Seattle, Baltimore, and New England are failures in the draft. Would you?
Look at how much better our top 2 picks made us last year. Bottom line. We got worse, not better, by relying so much on the draft class. That is a fact.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say San Fran, Seattle, Baltimore, and New England are failures in the draft. Would you?
Look at how much better our top 2 picks made us last year. Bottom line. We got worse, not better, by relying so much on the draft class. That is a fact.

you do know that just because you declare something a fact doesnt make it so right?

I am going to throw out SF and Seattle as they JUST got to the top of the NFL, where the Packers have been for a very long time with the exception of a couple random years. So lets talk NE and BALT. Its kind of a dirty secret but BB up in NE sucks at drafting. Ask any NE fan with a brain and they will tell you he has failed to address the defensive issues, thus his dive in FA. You could also look the the WR position in NE as well for faults.
So Balt then, has Newsome traditionally dove headfirst into FA or is this a one off year where he had so many holes to due to letting his FAs go that he had to? He spent big on one guys, while letting 3 walk.

Steelers, Colts, Packers and the Giants all rarely sign FAs of any noteworthy level. Yet the consistency is so redic.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
But the fact is the defense was better than the year before.

And who says Thompson and the front office were relying on one draft class? If asked I believe Thompson would tell you he does not, but rather relies upon drafting and developing players.

If the Packers had signed two big name UFAs and one went on IR early in the season and the other was a disappointment before going on IR late in the season, they would have been worse off than “relying” upon two picks in the most recent draft class. And as is often brought up in this context: How much better off were the Eagles for their impressive and expansive foray into UFA? But hey, their fans had the great pleasure of winning that off season!

And by all means restrict your mentioning of the last draft class to just the first two, since 11 picks after having selected Worthy in the second round, Thompson picked Hayward in the second. Did he make the defense better immediately?

Reaction score
Ok. Let's pay one of the best defenders in the league before the BEST player in all of football? Yeah... Great idea!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the fact is the defense was better than the year before.

And by all means restrict your mentioning of the last draft class to just the first two, since 11 picks after having selected Worthy in the second round, Thompson picked Hayward in the second. Did he make the defense better immediately?
We were better last year clearly, but that would have been hard not to accomplish considering the year before was historically terrible.

Hayward was a nice pick for sure, he played well as the nickel.

Injuries suck and I don't blame Ted, Mike, or the trainer for them. Just bad luck.

And while we all remember Reggie White, I still remember Joe Johnson, very clearly.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

So the defensive guy that doesnt really dictate how the entire def works should be paid b4 the guy that runs the entire offense?

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score

San Fran and Seattle were built mostly with high picks due to many losing seasons. Baltimore just won with mostly their players (Reed, Suggs, Rice, Lewis, Flacco, Torrey Smith, Krueger, the list goes on and on). While Boldin was a good pickup for them, they didn't exactly hit paydirt with Derrick Mason. Now those guys are gone and they have been signing everyone they can to stay competitive.

As stated earlier, BB is not the best at drafting in certain areas. Yeah, he has hit on some fa's, but Moss didn't last long, and did nothing before coming to NE in Oakland, then going to 2 more teams the same year NE let him loose. Haynesworth didn't do crap. Seau wasn't exactly a HOF type of player there, and don't even start with how the defense declined after BB failed to keep his own players. the list of NE grown defensive players that left never to be truly replaced is now long. As is the number of years since NE last won the big one.

And yes, our defense did get better. Grow, develop and resign is a much better way to be competitive each year than sign aging players let go by another team. why overpay to have someone another team, one that has had them for a while, didn't think was worth the money? And no team is perfect. Some are great on O, some are great on D, some are good at both, but none are great in all areas of football.

Learn to love being a competitive team nearly every year rather than having a great year followed by mediocrity or worse. There is no perfect plan to win every year. Trust those that keep us competitive. My Charger friends would kill, absolutely KILL to have our complaints.

Members online

Latest posts