Clay Matthews added weight?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From rotoworld:

Clay Matthews

It says that Clay is in the best shape of his life so far this offseason. It states from his twitter that he's gone up from 245 lbs. to 261. I know Jones was the guy who the coaches felt needed to add weight in order to get better at the spot but Matthews? I thought he was fine as it is. I'm curious to see how does now with an extra 16 lbs. on his shoulder. Will it affect his speed in any way considering that's one of his biggest strengths?

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This kid is a young machine & being trained by a well known NFL trainer with some history including training Clay's dad...I think the kid just got a whole lot stronger and should be primed for a solid season.

dewitt60

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adding weight in muscle is rarely a bad thing unless it binds you up. I doubt that it affects CM's speed to much but might give him more leverage on the edge rush or might even give him a better inside move. He had nothing but speed last year. Perhaps a little muscle will allow him to push the defenders away.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From rotoworld:

Clay Matthews

It says that Clay is in the best shape of his life so far this offseason. It states from his twitter that he's gone up from 245 lbs. to 261. I know Jones was the guy who the coaches felt needed to add weight in order to get better at the spot but Matthews? I thought he was fine as it is. I'm curious to see how does now with an extra 16 lbs. on his shoulder. Will it affect his speed in any way considering that's one of his biggest strengths?

D Ware is 262, Suggs is 260, Merriman is 265, Woodley is 265. He's right where he needs to be to overpower lineman now with a combo or speed and strength.

Im pretty sure he wont weigh that much by week 1.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say look the hell out. 16 lbs is a big gain in the off season and I'll bet he still has all that speed. He trains with the best. There's no doubt about it.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree pretty much with everyone, Matthews' added weight should only help him technique-wise by providing him with more leverage. I'm not too worried about his speed, in fact I think he'll play with more balance and poise. I was only wondering whether the coaches really preffered him doing this. If it ain't broke, why fix?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing hasn't been discussed. The Packers' 3-4 DL is the heaviest in the league. So comparing his weight with other LBs isn't correct.

I don't know if this will affect positively or negatively his play, but I don't think it's necessary, the way we run our 3-4, for the OLBto weight close to 260...

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing hasn't been discussed. The Packers' 3-4 DL is the heaviest in the league. So comparing his weight with other LBs isn't correct.

I don't know if this will affect positively or negatively his play, but I don't think it's necessary, the way we run our 3-4, for the OLBto weight close to 260...

That's an interesting point. Heavier DL equates to slower pressure by the front 3. Thereby you're relying on the LBs to be quick, speedy in terms of pass rush. Like I said, I have no idea how the added weight will affect CM3's speed, but it's definitely something to think about.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts