Clay Gone ? Per Fake Twitter acct

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, just saw a report from Ian Rappaport that Clay Matthews has been released.

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After a few more clicks, ended up at his twitter site. Report dated the 1st; odd. Also not seeing anywhere else yet.

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then there you go. Not that I'm an expert on such things, but I couldn't tell fake from real.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fake or not. I think it's coming. I doubt he takes a pay cut. He will probably go to the Patriots and he will miraculously look great again.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Cutting Clay has been talked about for awhile now and it never really made sense due to the Dead Cap hit. This would be the first year that it actually may make sense and could happen. Matthews is due $11,368,750 with zero dead cap hit if they cut him.

Clay, if you are listening, some of us want you back in Green Bay, but make your money in advertising and take a pay cut to play for your actual value. :)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys! I know our pass rush isn't very good, but let's cut one of our best guys. Great idea!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hey guys! I know our pass rush isn't very good, but let's cut one of our best guys. Great idea!

Which along with his previous years dead cap hit, was why it made no sense to cut him, until maybe now. But you are right, there isn't anyone waiting in the wings to take over his position and do it better. So if he won't renegotiate and the Packers want to cut him, they better go FA shopping with the money and find a guy who can get the job done for that same money or less.

H

HardRightEdge

There's no urgency, and certainly no advantage, in cutting anybody at this time. These kinds of decisions will be left for the new GM, or perhaps a joint McCarthy-GM decision responsibility akin to the Seattle arrangement.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's no urgency, and certainly no advantage, in cutting anybody at this time. These kinds of decisions will be left for the new GM, or perhaps a joint McCarthy-GM decision responsibility akin to the Seattle arrangement.

While I agree you don't have to get it done with Matthews today, there are about a million ($968,750) reasons why you wouldn't want to wait to long, that represents his workout bonus ($500K) and roster bonus ($468,750). They also need a contingency plan for replacing Matthews. So if I had to put a timetable on it, I would think you approach Clay before Free Agency begins.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay played well this year. He’s just not “the guy” anymore, which we desperately need.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Clay played well this year. He’s just not “the guy” anymore, which we desperately need.

I agree. The Packers can't expect Matthews and Perry to do it all, which is pretty much what they were asked to do this year. Brooks was so-so but hurt and will Biegel really provide that much in 2018? Still wish they would have resigned Peppers or someone like Connor Barwin, but I guess they have this offseason to "fix it".

H

HardRightEdge

While I agree you don't have to get it done with Matthews today, there are about a million ($968,750) reasons why you wouldn't want to wait to long, that represents his workout bonus ($500K) and roster bonus ($468,750). They also need a contingency plan for replacing Matthews. So if I had to put a timetable on it, I would think you approach Clay before Free Agency begins.
The payment of those bonuses are months away.

H

HardRightEdge

March 14th (Free Agency) comes along pretty fast ;)
Right. That's 2 1/2 months away, not tomorrow. It seems some folks have their axe to grind, all sharpened up, with no place to go at the moment.

Until the new guys are in place, the "who else ya got?" or can get part of the equation is not yet assessed.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I would like to see how Clay performs with the new defensive coordinator before letting him go completely, though I would be perfectly fine if he would agree to restructure his current deal.

H

HardRightEdge

I would like to see how Clay performs with the new defensive coordinator before letting him go completely, though I would be perfectly fine if he would agree to restructure his current deal.
Restructuring deals, as in pay cuts, is everybody's panacea for a bad contract. And how often does that actually happen? There was Hawk, after 2011 or 2012, I can't recall which, and Crosby after that terrible season a few years back. In both cases, the amounts involved were not that significant.

Telling a guy he needs to take a significant pay cut (which I assume is what is envisioned here) is like your boss demoting you with a pay cut. Nobody is happy, the arrangement is uncomfortable, and it only serves as an invitation for you to look for a new job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys I don’t understand where some of this hate against one of our current and all time best players has come from!?

I think a lot of us are forgetting he is 31 and we as of this season realied almost completely on a player the wrong side of 30.... Matthews has plenty left in the tank but he needs some pieces around him to be playing at his best.

I can’t imagine anyone doing a better job than him on the roster or in upcoming free agency.

Members online

Latest posts