CJ Spiller

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, guys, I'm going to try to bring in videos and analysis of the players slated to be options for us at the draft...

I'm start with a player that probably won't be available, but is a personal dream of mine, and of a lot of people.

CJ Spiller - RB - Clemson

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFcecMcS6bA]YouTube - C.J. Spiller Highlights[/ame]

Later I'm going to post more videos or the analysis, as well as the other players'.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, anyone who wants to contribute with some information, do some players' thread, or ask for a player, is more than welcome.

Charles Brown already has a thread, so I'm not going to start another one...

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be doing back flips if we got Spiller. An explosive all-around guy that would help out our special teams and would make for a good scat back. He has so much value.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a deep draft, so who knows if he does. It does seem unlikely he would drop to our slot, but there are always a few guys who do drop in the 1st. I remember reading some info on Oher last year and how he was a great prospect and he dropped a fair amount in the 1st.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of mock drafts and analysis say that since the Jags don't really have any true player worth of value at no. 9, they are most likely to trade down. Is it possible that the packers take advantage of this? If we do trade up with the jags, should spiller be an option?

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of mock drafts and analysis say that since the Jags don't really have any true player worth of value at no. 9, they are most likely to trade down. Is it possible that the packers take advantage of this? If we do trade up with the jags, should spiller be an option?
Aren't them at 10?

I only see one option that the Jags can take in the first, and that is Tebow. Mainly for monetary purposes.

But we can't predict what TT will do. Just when we were figuring him out, that he would drop down every draft, he goes on and move up. (To me, it was because he was done rebuilding, so there was no need to get more players)

I think there's a possibility, but I wouldn't expect it.

And if he'd move up, the players I would look for, in the order: Joe Haden; Russel Okung; Eric Berry; CJ Spiller.

From those, the most talented is Berry; But he is a FS, not a SS.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's some scouting on Spiller...

C.J. Spiller Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Solid bulk
Extremely fast with gamebreaking ability
Instinctive back
Patient and sets up blockers
Great vision to identify cutback lanes at line of scrimmage and in open field
Very elusive and evades tacklers
Great spin move
Runs routes well out of backfield
Lots of experience catching the ball
Soft hands
Nice second gear to go distance
Breaks a good amount of tackles for his weight
Can contribute as a returner
Projects as an excellent No. 2, change-of-pace running back
Good YPC average despite weak offensive line

Weakness
Won't get that much bigger without losing speed
Not very assertive between the tackles
Generally shys from contact
Not very powerful
Not going to get much done on the goal line
Weak inside runner
Mediocre in pass protection
Not an explosive or exceptional punt returner
Cuts outside far too often

Summary: Spiller profiles as a very explosive back, but isn't a No. 1 in the NFL, which isn't an entirely bad thing. He needs to work on his pass protection the most so he can really help out virtually every team on third down. With James Davis gone, he has a chance to show teams he can handle a greater workload in 2009.

Player Comparison: Reggie Bush. Both backs love to kick it outside and have the elite athleticism to make everyone miss in the open field as great home-run threats.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, for the record, I'm not posting any measurables, like 40 time, or even stature, because the combine and pro day will provide those more accurately...

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another scouting...
CBSsports.com scouting:

Inside: Known as a speed back, he has strong muscle definition throughout his frame and runs a lot tougher than most give him credit for. Most dangerous when starting inside and using his quick feet and vision to bounce outside, but isn't afraid to take it north-south if that's what's needed. Keeps his pads down and legs moving through trash inside, often falling forward for extra yardage. Will be challenged to hang onto the ball when facing strong NFL linebackers.

Outside: Excels outside the tackles. Excellent vision and agility, with elite breakaway speed. Few safeties will get an angle on him once he's past the linebackers. Has the speed to turn the corner. Patient running on stretch and zone plays, able to cutback and blow through a hole. Can press the line, then evade penetrating defenders by bouncing outside with quick feet. Able to leap diving defenders and stay in balance after landing. Doesn't shy away from contact at the second level -- willing to plow through a tackle for an extra yard. Ball security can be an issue, as he gets a little loose with the ball when running outside. A potential Pro Bowl punt and kick returner because of his pure speed, willingness to attack the lane, quick cuts through traffic and superior elusiveness with the ball in his hands.

Breaking tackles: Runs with some lean; elusive and strong enough to avoid defenders in space and run through arm tackles. Quick stop-start move to freeze would-be tacklers or let them fly by if they leave their feet. Head fakes or just out-quicks most any defender in space -- usually at full speed. Isn't big enough to consistently get through the grasp of defensive tackles at the line or the wrap of linebackers, but gives good effort.

Blocking: Doesn't act like a track star playing football. Willing to stand up to ends and linebackers in pass protection, although he lacks the bulk to sustain and may struggle to stay strong against top pro linebackers. Will throw a shoulder into much bigger defenders to chip on a lineman before heading to the flat for a check-down pass. Gives effort to help teammates running downfield.

Receiving: Versatile offensive weapon who catches passes over the middle or in the flat, but will also line up in the slot and on the outside. Lightning-quick and ultra-elusive after the catch, often leaving defenders standing still as he jukes them outside or inside. Blows by safeties in coverage, especially on out-and-up routes. Inconsistent hands as a receiver. Will catch most easy passes with his hands and high-point the ball in traffic, but also has lapses of concentration and short-arms passes when expecting a big hit over the middle. Needs to be crisper coming in and out of his routes to sell them better at the next level. Solid hands on punt returns, and actually catches kickoffs at helmet-height with his hands.

Intangibles: Improved his strength and running toughness over the past couple of seasons to become a more complete running back. Looked to be a leader on offense with James Davis, quarterback Cullen Harper and wide receiver Aaron Kelly no longer on the squad in 2009. No major character issues or off-field incidents. Named to the ACC All-Academic team in 2008.

NFL Comparison: Felix Jones, Cowboys

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
If Thompson moves up, I really want it to be for Joe Haden, even as pro-running back as I am.

I'm making a Haden thread later, just based on that slim possibility. Unless someone else feels like doing it. :lol:

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Thompson moves up, I really want it to be for Joe Haden, even as pro-running back as I am.

I'm making a Haden thread later, just based on that slim possibility. Unless someone else feels like doing it. :lol:
That would be awsome. If we moved up to get Haden I think it would make sense as long as we got a OT in the 2nd round. Maybe you could change the Kyle Wilson thing to Joe Haden...LOL

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spiller ran a 4.37 today. He was the second fastest behind Best who ran a 4.35. Keep in mind Spiller is still battling a turf toe issue. He is a 15-27 range guy in round 1.

LsuPacker4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spiller ran a 4.37 today. He was the second fastest behind Best who ran a 4.35. Keep in mind Spiller is still battling a turf toe issue. He is a 15-27 range guy in round 1.

My picks for Running Backs
1.CJ.Spiller
2.Jacoby Ford
3.Brandon Lafell
4.Charles Scott

EmDiggy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If YOU guys?? Care to explain?

I'm a Football Fan, ya know..I just love the game:happy0005:

But..being Born and Raised in New Orleans...playing college ball at UL-Lafayette.. I'm a Saints fan.. But I don't let that cloud my better judgement and analysis...feel me?:give_rose:

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a Football Fan, ya know..I just love the game:happy0005:

But..being Born and Raised in New Orleans...playing college ball at UL-Lafayette.. I'm a Saints fan.. But I don't let that cloud my better judgement and analysis...feel me?:give_rose:
I wasn't criticizing or anything... I just thought it strange the way you put the phrase, that's it...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the guy is good, but we need to actually draft for needs this year. O-line,Safety/CB, OLB,........and a Punter. A speedy return man as well. I don't think I'd draft a RB in the 1st round and put him on returns where he is going to get killed. Look at just about every guy we have used in recent years. They all end up.......Jacked up in some way........broken legs, feet, ankles.....you name it. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the guy is good, but we need to actually draft for needs this year. O-line,Safety/CB, OLB,........and a Punter. A speedy return man as well. I don't think I'd draft a RB in the 1st round and put him on returns where he is going to get killed. Look at just about every guy we have used in recent years. They all end up.......Jacked up in some way........broken legs, feet, ankles.....you name it. Just my opinion.
Good point, about people getting hurt at the KR job...

But I believe it's undeniable that he would add another dimension to our team, as well as a great improvement at ST play...

Members online

Latest posts