Christl Blog: Hodge looks the part

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge looks the part
It's hard for a linebacker to even flash in no-pads, off-season practices. They don't normally get many interceptions. If they blitz, they pull up before they reach the quarterback. And they don't hit, the litmus test for every linebacker. But if one watches Abdul Hodge, the Green Bay Packers' third-round draft pick, for a series of plays here and there, you see someone who looks the part of a football player. Hodge was an instinctive and productive player at Iowa, and he has shown signs that he could be that for the Packers, as well.

Hodge didn't run or test well at the combine, but he appears to have good lateral quickness and enough initial burst to fill a hole. Although he's high-cut with skinny legs, he looks to be strong in the upper body and certainly not glaringly undersized. Hodge is still in the learning stages. There was a play in a team drill Monday, where the play-action was to the left side with the tailback, but the play turned out to be a bootleg to the right with fullback A.J. Copper sneaking out of the backfield and catching a short pass from Aaron Rodgers. Hodge was fooled on the play and got caught up in traffic inside. He also was a step behind rookie tight end Zac Alcorn on a deep ball down the middle in that same team session, although Hodge had safety help over the top. So like every rookie, the jury is still out.

But more often than not, you'll find Hodge where the ball is in team drills. He has been working exclusively at middle linebacker behind Nick Barnett in the OTAs and even gotten some snaps with the No. 1 unit when Barnett has been nicked or missing. Hodge also has lined up in the No. 2 dime behind Barnett. And Monday, Hodge and Hawk were the two linebackers in a red-zone nickel.

It's possible that Hodge could be one of the team's three best linebackers come September. But his natural position seems to be middle linebacker. Thus, it will be interesting to see if he'll get a look on the strong side come training camp. He worked there on an extremely limited basis in an earlier minicamp.

Wide receiver Rod Gardner pulled a hamstring Friday and didn't participate in team work. Fellow wide receiver Robert Ferguson also sat out the team drills with an apparent leg problem. With Greg Jennings still missing from practice that gave several young receivers more snaps than usual and they didn't exactly seize the opportunity. Fourth-round pick Cory Rodgers couldn't shake the coverage of cornerback Patrick Dendy to haul in a deep ball from Aaron Rodgers. Free agent rookie Leo Bookman dropped another Rodgers' pass. Free agent Ruvell Martin, despite a four-inch height advantage, couldn't win a jump ball with Dendy in the end zone during a red-zone drill. Free agent Calvin Russell couldn't get his body turned to catch an out from Rodgers during 7-on-7. And Ruvell Martin also dropped a Favre pass in the end zone in the red-zone 7-on-7.

But Russell did beat free agent corner Therrian Fontenot on a go pattern down the sideline and made a good catch of a Rodgers' pass. And free agent rookie Chris Francies made a nice catch over the middle of a Favre pass in team drills and beat cornerback Ahmad Carroll to catch a Rodgers' pass in 7-on-7.

Favre and wide receiver Donald Driver teamed up on a pass that traveled 55 yards in the air, albeit with the aide of a strong wind. Driver beat cornerback Jerron Wishom on the play. ... Wishom later intercepted a Rodgers' pass in the red zone 7-on-7. It was Wishom's third interception of the OTAs. ... Running back Samkon Gado had another drop in 7-on-7, swinging out of the backfield. Neither Gado nor Noah Herron, the top two tailbacks on the OTA depth chart, have exactly been sure-handed as receivers. ... Veteran receiver Marc Boerigter made a tough, one-handed catch over the middle of a Favre pass, but also dropped a slant pass from Favre in 7-on-7.

Along with Favre, fullback William Henderson and tight end David Martin returned to practice. Linebacker Byron Santiago returned from an injury. Missing from practice were tight end Bubba Franks; defensive linemen Colin Cole, Corey Williams and Kenderick Allen; and defensive backs Mike Hawkins and Marviel Underwood. Allen was in the locker room after practice and said his flight was late. Linebacker Roy Manning and first-year tight end Garrett Cross observed practice.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would really like to see Barnett moved to the outside because he can play outside and Hodge should be a very good MLB. I can see why people don't want that to happen though. Two rookie linebackers starting and Barnett being very good at MLB. I think that Barnett Hawk and Hodge are the three best linebackers on the team though and it would be nice to see all three starting.

Cajed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is Hodge's real height and size? I thought people said he was shorter than that? Isn't Barnet about the same size (6'2" 233lbs listed on NFL.com)? I know college rosters don't always have the correct size listed.

I just checked 6' 230 lbs on NFL.com for Hodge.

Oh ya, let's add Zach Thomas at 5'11" 230 lbs to the to short list and that he plays in the same defensive system.

I agree with SuperRat about the 2 rookies situation but would put the best linebackers on the field possibley.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I am more interested in, is who will be playing the nickel and dime linebacker spots. I don't think Hawk and Barnett should ever come off the field. I think in the dime package, Manuel should be coming off and then go with 4 CB, 2LB, 4 DL, and Nick playing center field.

I think Hodge was a very good pick, I just don't see him as a starter this year, barring injury that is.

We also shouldn't count our BradyPop either. That boy has too much enthusiasm to be relegated to the bench.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT already said (although it seemed like he was kidding, but who knows) that Hawk will never come off the field.

tonytokes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
I think in the dime package, Manuel should be coming off and then go with 4 CB, 2LB, 4 DL, and Nick playing center field.

That's not a dime... 5 DBs = Nickel.

But yeah, I know what you're saying. I think Barnett is going to be in in the rare occurance that we're actually playing dime. I think Hawk / Barnett in a Nickel is a lot more speed than most teams have at LB and will reduce the time we need to spend in dime.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tonytokes said:
DakotaT said:
I think in the dime package, Manuel should be coming off and then go with 4 CB, 2LB, 4 DL, and Nick playing center field.

That's not a dime... 5 DBs = Nickel.

But yeah, I know what you're saying. I think Barnett is going to be in in the rare occurance that we're actually playing dime. I think Hawk / Barnett in a Nickel is a lot more speed than most teams have at LB and will reduce the time we need to spend in dime.

So 10 DB's = Dime?

:p

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see GB playing much Dime at all. I think they'll play mostly nickel. Nickel is 5 DB's 2 LB's Dime is 6 DB's 1 LB.

I think on passing downs you'll see us in nickel with Barnett Hawk Woodson Harris Carroll Roman and Collins

In Dime we'd use Mike Hawkins instead of AJ Hawk, so who would you want on the field.

I don't think Manuel will play much in the nickel or dime. He's a great run stopping DB but is a liability against the pass. That's why I have Roman there and we could possibly see Underwood if Roman gets cut

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I suggested isn't a dime technically, I guess I should have elaborated and said that with the speed of Barnett and Hawk, one could take the running back and the other could take the tight end. The four DB's could take the recievers and Collins plays center field. I don't think Hawk and Barnett should come off the field in any situation.

Back to Hodge, he is going to have a dog fight for playing time. Pyle commented in another thread about Taylor probably locking down the SSLB position, in which I agree. I am also high on BradyPop, and who couldn't root for Manning. Suddenly, we have talent and depth at a position our former leader never addressed properly. I also didn't mention the Campbell kid we drafted last year but got hurt.

Members online

Latest posts