Christine Michael - drafted right after Lacy

Should GB claim Christine Michael Off Waivers?

• Yes

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As obvious a move as this was, I am excited about it. He seems more shifty and elusive than Lacy and may be highly motivated coming off whatever happened in Seattle. It will also be nice to finally have some speed and agility back there.

H

HardRightEdge

The fascination that people have with Michael is amazing. This is a guy that has been kicked off three teams (one team twice!) and is notoriously terrible at preparation (reason the Seahawks dumped him the second time) yet some think that he'll pick up the Packer's playbook? Thompson needed to do something to help the team so I don't blame the move but actually expecting anything from Michael is kind of ignoring his entire history in the NFL.
Thompson must have some new RB Combine Data algorithm.

Davis ran in the 4.3's; Michael in the 4.4's.

Both measured around 5'10" - 5'11, 220 - 225 lbs

Davis did 31 lifts, Michael did 27: those lineman/linebacker numbers.

Neither have shown they can get yards on their own.

One difference is that if there's a hole I think Michael is more likely to find it. On the other hand, I don't think Michael met a tackler head up in the secondary he couldn't dive in front of.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson must have some new RB Combine Data algorithm.

Davis ran in the 4.3's; Michael in the 4.4's.

Both measured around 5'10" - 5'11, 220 - 225 lbs

Davis did 31 lifts, Michael did 27: those lineman/linebacker numbers.

Neither have shown they can get yards on their own.

One difference is that if there's a hole I think Michael is more likely to find it. On the other hand, I don't think Michael met a tackler head up in the secondary he couldn't dive in front of.

Nooooo the difference is the Viqueens were going to sign him to bolster their running back group and TT tried to one up them. You don't think TT could've offered what he did to KC to Seattle for Micheals ...especially since they were going to release him anyways? Not to mention the fact Schneider and TT have history ...so I'm sure a deal could've been worked out. Think about it folks .

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it's just another "why did you even bother" kind of move; the kind this team makes a hundred times a season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it's just another "why did you even bother" kind of move; the kind this team makes a hundred times a season.
Except when they don't everybody starts screaming about depth at this position or that. This move isn't supposed to get us excited it is simply an attempt to fill a gaping hole at RB with the best available talent however meager that may be.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except when they don't everybody starts screaming about depth at this position or that. This move isn't supposed to get us excited it is simply an attempt to fill a gaping hole at RB with the best available talent however meager that may be.

True . my intent was to say "don't get too excited".

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think it's a little more than that. Michael has the physical tools to make people excited about acquiring him. RBs aren't usually drafted in the 2nd round without some talent.

For whatever reason, that hasn't translated to a successful pro career so far. Maybe there's still time, or maybe Michael will be nothing more than a blip on the radar here like Knile was.

What I do know is that they got a career 4.3 YPC rusher with some backfield receiving skills to boot for basically free. You could do a lot worse.

H

HardRightEdge

Nooooo the difference is the Viqueens were going to sign him to bolster their running back group and TT tried to one up them. You don't think TT could've offered what he did to KC to Seattle for Micheals ...especially since they were going to release him anyways? Not to mention the fact Schneider and TT have history ...so I'm sure a deal could've been worked out. Think about it folks .
Well, if anybody signed a guy for the sole reason of keeping him away from someone else, and especially in the case of the 3rd.-string quality RB, I'd have two observations:

1) That's a race to the bottom.

2) Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

To repeat, there are only 2 running backs on the roster, both of whom have had poor injury histories and are now coming off injuries, one of whom is questionable for Sunday.

Thompson had to sign or trade for somebody.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anything positive we get out of Michael is a bonus in my mind and a much better signing then Davis, who would have cost us a seventh round pick had he worked out. Although Schum has been better, I already had that 7th rounder targeted for a top college punter. :D On the surface, Michael looks better than the guy he is replacing and if we saw any potential in Jackson, I am guessing we can always pick him up at a later date. The other thing that somewhat excites me about Michael, is the fact that he has had some success running behind a pretty crappy OL in Seattle. If nothing else he is depth for a position that was in great need of it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if anybody signed a guy for the sole reason of keeping him away from someone else, and especially in the case of the 3rd.-string quality RB, I'd have two observations:

1) That's a race to the bottom.

2) Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

To repeat, there are only 2 running backs on the roster, both of whom have had poor injury histories and are now coming off injuries, one of whom is questionable for Sunday.

Thompson had to sign or trade for somebody.

He traded for kniles Davis man. Who was your third rb on the roster. Davis would've had 3-4 weeks under his belt..where Micheal will have 4 days. I've stopped trying to figure out TT but these moves are head scratchers.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anything positive we get out of Michael is a bonus in my mind and a much better signing then Davis, who would have cost us a seventh round pick had he worked out. Although Schum has been better, I already had that 7th rounder targeted for a top college punter. :D On the surface, Michael looks better than the guy he is replacing and if we saw any potential in Jackson, I am guessing we can always pick him up at a later date. The other thing that somewhat excites me about Michael, is the fact that he has had some success running behind a pretty crappy OL in Seattle. If nothing else he is depth for a position that was in great need of it.

Have you seen the Packers o line run block? They're definitely built for throwing the ball I guarantee that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Have you seen the Packers o line run block? They're definitely built for throwing the ball I guarantee that.

While I agree with you, I think they are an overall better unit than the one in Seattle. Lacy was able to find some holes, lets hope when Michael plays, he can find those slivers as well.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you guys are all gonna be so pissed when we still miss the playoffs or get blown out by the lions or someone in the first round.

H

HardRightEdge

He traded for kniles Davis man. Who was your third rb on the roster. Davis would've had 3-4 weeks under his belt..where Micheal will have 4 days. I've stopped trying to figure out TT but these moves are head scratchers.
Davis cost nothing. As I guessed at the time, the draft pick was contingent on Davis sticking around. KC gets nothing.

Rather than entertain a psudo-conspiracy theory, how about a couple of other options:

1) Seattle wan't interested in trading for peanuts (or potentially nothing as with KC and Davis) because Rawls was laid up until now.

or

2) They liked Davis better for the price (or no price if it came to that, which it did), but once they got a close look at him they discovered he was a remarkable athlete but a lousy football player.

To repeat, what I don't understand is why they didn't go after DuJuan Harris when they traded for Davis. Harris looked good in preseason. And need we add, he went off two weeks ago for 143 yds. from scrimmage on 15 touches when he filled in as the #1. We said so at the time; this is not 20/20 hindsight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
you guys are all gonna be so pissed when we still miss the playoffs or get blown out by the lions or someone in the first round.

Since both of those scenarios are very plausible at this time, I for one wouldn't be pissed, since its expected. Only emotions for me right now are "UP"....actually making the playoffs or winning a few playoff games would excite me and make something out of what so far has been a very forgettable season.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which guys are those ? I'm pretty sure most on here are well aware of the state of disarray the Packers are in.

Reaction score
Don Jackson was injured in practice shortly before this move. Christine already started 7 games this year and was (technically still is) the leading rusher for a Seattle and will temporarily be behind both Starks and Montgomery
In pecking order so the number of days until Sunday is irrelevant at this point

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO Lacy played his last snap as a Green Bay Packer, and as a big Lacy fan, I am actually thrilled. He gained too much weight, he probably was going to want too much money and he is simply not worth it anymore. I love the player and I love the Packers having a bull at the position, but we need to maintain a more fast pace offense.

The Packers offense is able to perform on a high level with a power back like Lacy as it was successful during the first two years of his tenure. Unfortunately he stopped putting in the work necessary to stay in shape and therefore will most likely be gone after this season.

It's a smart move to pick up Michael off waivers instead if having to give up a draft pick to acquire him.

Michael is an NFL caliber running back who was drafted in the second round only three years ago. There's no guarantee this move will work out but Thompson addressed a position of need with most likely the best player available.

On the surface, Michael looks better than the guy he is replacing and if we saw any potential in Jackson, I am guessing we can always pick him up at a later date.

The Packers placed Jackson on injured reserve with a knee injury he suffered during practice on Wednesday therefore he's still a member of the team.

The Packers offensive line doesn't excel at blocking for the run but are average at it and for sure better as the Seahawks unit.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they would have cut CJ Prosise instead but he probably wouldn't have made it to us on waivers.

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
let me shoot this one out there..... would you keep lacy for 5 mill a year? 6, 7 etc? Me personally 5-6 yes on a 3-4 year deal with 10-14 guaranteed because again we know what we have in him and he knows the system. but the question is would you cut starks and keep michael to be able to do that? this all assuming both backs agree to the money and dont go anywhere blah blah blah. but maybe, just maybe this is tt thinking abut the future with the michael signing. maybe i am overthinking his 1 run play but just maybe.......

refer to this site for my random contract numbers and where lacy without packer goggles may actually stand

http://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts