Chris Havel from PackersNews....

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted Mar. 18, 2006
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Chris Havel
Packers’ GM is on right path

St. Patrick’s Day was a good day to be a Green Bay Packers fan.

William Henderson decided to stay in Green Bay, Adam Vinatieri at least visited here and GM Ted Thompson continued to be active in free agency.

The Packers’ good fortune wasn’t due to the luck of the Irish. It was due to the color green, not as in Green Bay, but as in the color of money.

After the Packers opened free agency at a snail’s pace Monday, Thompson got busy by signing ex-St. Louis Rams nose tackle Ryan Pickett and re-signing offensive lineman Kevin Barry and defensive tackle Kenny Peterson at mid-week.

Thompson finished strong Friday by wisely paying to retain Henderson’s experience and leadership, and by at least taking a serious run at Vinatieri. The Packers couldn’t afford to let Henderson continue the exodus to Minnesota, and they needed to let fans know there will be life after Ryan Longwell’s decision to sign with the Vikings.

Vinatieri left town without a contract, but Thompson and the Packers at least seem serious about landing New England’s clutch kicker. Of all the positions to count pennies, place-kicker isn’t it. In today’s parity-driven league, a top-notch kicker is worth his weight in gold.

With the NFL draft just six weeks away and free agency in mid-swing, Thompson’s moves are encouraging.

Jagodzinski’s scheme

In terms of staffing, one of the most important yet least discussed changes is the Packers’ hiring of Jeff Jagodzinski. A lot is riding on the offensive coordinator’s ability to implement the zone-blocking scheme, and on the line’s ability to execute it.

The scheme’s success hinges, to a great deal, on the coach’s ability to teach it. If Jagodzinski’s version of the zone-blocking scheme does for Green Bay’s running game what it did for Denver’s and Atlanta’s, the team’s outlook improves drastically.

Whether Brett Favre returns or Aaron Rodgers takes the reins, the quarterback is going to need better than last year’s abysmal running attack. The new scheme also could be the edge that turns Ahman Green and Samkon Gado into a respectable 1-2 punch.

Furthermore, Barry’s combination of power and agility might blossom. The Packers didn’t give Barry a hefty raise to resurrect the U-71 package. They did it, because they expect him to be a reliable backup tackle, if not a starter at guard.

Free agency, NFL draft

In regards to free agency, Thompson’s deliberate approach is difficult to accept but easy to understand. It appears he is waiting for other teams to overspend on big-name free agents so he can swoop in and get second-tier players at a bargain.

In terms of the draft, Thompson’s game plan remains a mystery, but history and common sense suggest he will select North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams at No. 5. If Williams is gone, I suspect he will consider Texas quarterback Vince Young. If he isn’t sold on Young, look for him to trade down and add an extra pick or two.

Stay tuned.

Chris Havel can be reached by voice mail at (920) 431-8586 or by e-mail at PackersNews.com

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I reeeeeeeeeeally agree with "Thompson’s deliberate approach is difficult to accept but easy to understand. It appears he is waiting for other teams to overspend on big-name free agents so he can swoop in and get second-tier players at a bargain."

I am glad me and a respected Packers writer are on the same page. If only everyone else would jump aboard! Theres room for you! lol!

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T.T. had better not even consider Young! We already have enough players that have trouble remembering the score witrhout another sub 10 Wonderlic dumbkopf! Rather see more of the caliber player such as Gado being hauled into Packer-land. Makes me gag to even think we'd get QB with a score of 6 on the Wonderlic.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me too, but Young didn't get a 6 on the Wonderlic.

Do people understand how Favres indecision is driving everyone crazy!? You got me upsetting people on packerforum, you got Chris Havel writing about Vince Young in the draft....ARGH!

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Me too, but Young didn't get a 6 on the Wonderlic.

:) Heard that Young scored a 6. If that's not correct; what did he score? And please try not to scare the crap out of me.

Do people understand how Favres indecision is driving everyone crazy!? You got me upsetting people on packerforum, you got Chris Havel writing about Vince Young in the draft....ARGH!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well the 6 report came out, and a day later or so it was ruled as false. The new rumored score was 16 (the average is 19).

Reaction score
Actually Trom, the first time around Young DID score a 7. Apparently the NFL ruled the test was marked wrong, and gave Young the EXACT SAME test the next day, where he scored a 16.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Actually Trom, the first time around Young DID score a 7. Apparently the NFL ruled the test was marked wrong, and gave Young the EXACT SAME test the next day, where he scored a 16.

ah ok. I know he get a 16 somewhere. I still dont want him really. Hopefully Favre says hes not retiring tomorrow, and its the last we talk about it. It would be nice to get Leinart though. Have A-Rod vs Leinart, let the better QB win! lol.

whats funny is marcus vick scores lower apparently! Stupid useless Vicks.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I'm suspicious or anything, but does anyone think the re-test was done specifically to salve the conscience of the NFL? Good Lord! Can't have too many dummies playing football now; could we? Besides the low score could affect the sum of greenbacks available. LOL

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmmm Young... Boy back to back QB's would really look like a mistake.. Havel hates AJ Hawk though.. On the radio he's always stating how Hawk isn't worth a top 10 pick..

Reaction score
Hahaha, thanks for the laugh Trom.

Actually chibiabos, profootballtalk.com really went indepth with the issue, and basically the reason NFL allowed a do over with Young was because of the Longhorns coach. Apparently the NFL tries to keep all the coaches happy, and Texas wouldn't look to good if one of its star players was found to have played football even though he should have been kicked out for being dumb as a rock. Now the NFL and NCAA can't have that, can they?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and the NFL will do what NCAA wants for the most part, since college is like a free 'minor league' system to get players ready.

Reaction score
EXACTLY! I really don't like TT even considering Young, but Young IS one hell of an athlete. I just can't stand the thought of Young with the Packers uniform on. Same with the Marcus Vick. Some of these players need a real attitude adjustment and ego check.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whats wrong with Young? I dont follow college football much, but whats his problem? I didnt think he had any attitude\ego problems. All I know, is that game vs USC(whoever) was amazing, and he could wear a Gb uniform if brett leaves and I wouldnt cry(I still dont really want him, like marquand manuel..but its better than what we got[roman])

so what did he do?

Did he stomp on a guys ankle like marcus vickhead?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
so what did he do?

Did he stomp on a guys ankle like marcus vickhead?

i haven't heard about any problems with his attitude...not sure why anybody would make a Marcus Vick comparison.

that being said, i still wouldn't want to draft him.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Hahaha, thanks for the laugh Trom.

Actually chibiabos, profootballtalk.com really went indepth with the issue, and basically the reason NFL allowed a do over with Young was because of the Longhorns coach. Apparently the NFL tries to keep all the coaches happy, and Texas wouldn't look to good if one of its star players was found to have played football even though he should have been kicked out for being dumb as a rock. Now the NFL and NCAA can't have that, can they?

If Young score a 7 it would actually bring UP the average of the typical Univ of Texas player :lol:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think Youngs name was only mentioned cuz Havel doesn't like Hawk. I wouldnt get too worked up about it yet.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Whats wrong with Young?

He didn't do anything wrong, and the team drafting him shouldn't have to worry about attitude problems. My concern with him is he never took any snaps from under center, so that'll be an adjustment for him coming into the league. Also, he has a weird throwing motion that will be of some worry. He's an intriguing prospect that could develop into an All Pro QB, but he'd be best served to go to a situation where he could sit on the bench and develop for a year or two (probably a reason why many early mocks had him going to the Titans).

Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
That is such bull. Well you did bad on it once you can take it again.

DEFINITLY! The whole thing was a joke, and what is even more pathetic is the atrocious job NFL did in handling the issue.

Trom, nothing is wrong with Young. He is an amazing athlete, as evident by his last game. But the thing is I just don't wan't someone who will run the football if he can't find his first read. I think that is what Young did. And then as some one else mentioned, I don't like Young's throwing motion. Thats just me, but I don't think he'll be successful with that in the NFL. And then there is also the fact mentioned before, he was in a shotgun offence.

And I suppose we drafted A-Rod, and I want to give him a chance before we get another QB. I just don't like the idea of drafting Young, but if TT does it then I'm sure he has his reasons. Afterall, TT is the GM and I am not for a reason.

Members online

Latest posts