Chris Havel column: Packers legends facing a tough reality

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Posted May 28, 2006

Chris Havel column: Packers legends facing a tough reality

By Chris Havel
PackersNews.com

The Green Bay Packers of the Lombardi Era, like their fans, have been blessed through the years.

In the 1960s, the Packers won five world championships, including victories in Super Bowl I and II. They ruled professional football like no other, and their head coach, Vince Lombardi, was revered like no other.

So much has been said and written about Lombardi’s teams that their legacy has grown to almost mythical proportions. The way Lombardi lived his life, coupled with his death at age 57, seemed to cement that lofty place in America’s pro sports culture.

Furthermore, the years have been uncommonly kind to most of the players. Of the 40 players listed on the Packers’ Super Bowl I roster, only Henry Jordan, Ron Kostelnik, Ray Nitschke, Elijah Pitts, Lee Roy Caffey, Lionel Aldridge and Tommy Joe Crutcher have died.

Today, the Super Bowl I players are in their mid- to late-’60s or early 70s. They endeavored to conquer every team in their path, and they have gone on to beat the odds in a profession where the life expectancy of players from that era is 54.

Willie Wood, the Packers’ Pro Football Hall of Fame safety, was pleasantly surprised by the statistics.

“That’s good news, because guys in that field are dropping like flies,â€

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Chris Havel column: Packers legends facing a tough reali

Good Post Longtimefan, thanks for the read. Nitschke would have been amazing to see, I really liked the extra information that was provided on him. Thanks again !!!

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TB hater, when you are a true Packer Fan, nothing written about the Packers is too long to read. I am a Green Bay born Packer fan of over 60 years. There never has been a time where anything Packer related was ever to took much time for me to read it.

When you become a knowledgeable Packer fan, you will be able to discern what is written about the Green Bay Packers on Packer forums, whether it is accurate or if it is not accurate. I have seen many opinions on Packer forums that have not been based on sound thinking or on facts and yet a few posters will agree with their inaccurate postings.

You can't accomplish being knowlegeable about the team you are fan of, by just reading short post on this PF or elsewhere. It is that way in being knowlegeable about anything in Life, as a field of study in school, an occupation, Politics or hobby etc. Taking the short cuts in Life, never works. End of lecture.

PS- I suppose, I lost you already because this was not a short post.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TB hater-You are not lazy, you just have your priorities right if you were helping you father with the yard work!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts