Chris Gamble

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was looking through some past drafts and i saw that Chris Gamble was still on the board when we picked up Ahmad Carroll, gamble went to the panthers 2 picks later. Just think of how it would have bin if we would have taken him insted...

Reaction score
To be fair, Gamble had a terrible combine.

The scouting staff at that time (under Mike Sherman) was known to look at physical aspects of the combine and give them more importance (IE speed).

It is in the past, unfortunately. They say everything happens for a reason. :)

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
I was looking through some past drafts and i saw that Chris Gamble was still on the board when we picked up Ahmad Carroll, gamble went to the panthers 2 picks later. Just think of how it would have bin if we would have taken him insted...

Good God how many times is this going to come up?

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:

Good God how many times is this going to come up?

I agree. I wanted Gamble over Carroll at the time as many Packer fans probably did, but it was three years ago. The former regime isn't even here anymore.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said this a million times before too, just like pretty much everyone else. The same goes for taking Robert Ferguson over Chris Chambers. I don't know what it is but for some reason it seems like we dont take many people from Wisconsin.

packinducks76

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Barry Sanders thing still makes me sick eventhough I was too young to remember when it happened, but as for the Carrol over Gamble situation it's just another example of how the combine has been put as such an importance today when you're almost always better off judging a player by the way he performes with pads and a helmet on rather than in shorts and a t-shirt.

OP
OP
S

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sry for bringing this topic up "again". I am a some what new packer fan, I started watching packer ball about 4 years ago, when i was 15.
I also am a huge ohio state fan being form columbus, ohio and also going to school at ohio state. I just wanted to know why we did not pick up gamble b/c I remember him at osu and he was really good...

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:
sry for bringing this topic up "again". I am a some what new packer fan, I started watching packer ball about 4 years ago, when i was 15.
I also am a huge ohio state fan being form columbus, ohio and also going to school at ohio state. I just wanted to know why we did not pick up gamble b/c I remember him at osu and he was really good...

Great to have ya aboard the packernation train, but don't tell anyone you are an OSU fan lol. I am an OSU fan, too and I catch alot of crap for it.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are all right as rain, it is history. What is done is done.

For Packer fans, the 89 draft was defining moment for all of us.

There is one person I feel was hurt the most by that round one draft day decision. That person deserved better. That person is of course Barry himself.

He would have had a ring, he would have played a full career, he would have been happy. I do not think the man is happy about his opportunity.

That is the sad part of draft day 1989.

R.P.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
You are all right as rain, it is history. What is done is done.

For Packer fans, the 89 draft was defining moment for all of us.

There is one person I feel was hurt the most by that round one draft day decision. That person deserved better. That person is of course Barry himself.

He would have had a ring, he would have played a full career, he would have been happy. I do not think the man is happy about his opportunity.

That is the sad part of draft day 1989.

R.P.

To say that he would have a ring might be pre mature. Supopose we did get him. He would have made our terrible line look better. We would have won a few more games. Maybe we wouldn't have felt so bad about the situation and not brought in Ron Wolf. Who wouldn't have hired Holmgren, who wouldn't have made a trade for Brett, signed Reggie.... maybe if we had gotten Barry, we would have been the Lions for the last 18 years.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:

welcome sbp. It is impressive to see someone climb on board in the last few years. Esp since they have struggled recently and that you live in another state.

as to why did they draft Carroll instead of Gamble has been asked by the experts many times. The coaching staff didn't really give a sound answer. It sounded more like a, "because I am in charge and I can." answer.
Carroll was definitely rough. They thought that his lack of real skills could be something that he would overcome. He went out for track in the spring and did not play spring football in college. The staff thought under their guidance he would blossom. He id not.
they knew exactly what they would have with Gamble. they too a WAG with Carroll and they were wrong.
A lot of teams jump at a guy with potential and hope he defies the odds. I don't mind it when a team does this. I just hate it when they do so in the 1-2 rounds.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sbp_387 said:

Great to have ya aboard the packernation train, but don't tell anyone you are an OSU fan lol. I am an OSU fan, too and I catch alot of crap for it.

Never enough OSU fans and players on The Packs forum and roster!!!!!
We could have taken Carpenter instead of Hodges this year, but I think that is pretty much a wash!!!

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll was a track athlete converted to DB.
Gamble was a WR converted to DB.

Carroll had a few years relevant to his position.
Gamble played DB for ONE year.

Carroll played in the SEC, praised by many, including myself, as the toughest conference in the NCAA.
Gamble played in the Big Ten, probably the second toughest back then.

Coming out of college, I thought Carroll was a better defensive back than Gamble. I didn't think Gamble would make it, being best served as a Devin Hester type "DB", only serving time as a special teams contributor. It all depends on coaching, luck, and oh yeah---the Panthers front four can make almost any DB look good. Dont discount the impact a serious line can do for the secondary.

You win some, you lose some. But I don't think you should feel bad for "missing out" on a kid like Gamble. Now when the Raiders moved up for Philip Buchanon and passed on Ed Reed...now THAT is heartbreak.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
~TheJoker~ said:
Carroll was a track athlete converted to DB.
Gamble was a WR converted to DB.

Carroll had a few years relevant to his position.
Gamble played DB for ONE year.

Carroll played in the SEC, praised by many, including myself, as the toughest conference in the NCAA.
Gamble played in the Big Ten, probably the second toughest back then.

Coming out of college, I thought Carroll was a better defensive back than Gamble. I didn't think Gamble would make it, being best served as a Devin Hester type "DB", only serving time as a special teams contributor. It all depends on coaching, luck, and oh yeah---the Panthers front four can make almost any DB look good. Dont discount the impact a serious line can do for the secondary.

You win some, you lose some. But I don't think you should feel bad for "missing out" on a kid like Gamble. Now when the Raiders moved up for Philip Buchanon and passed on Ed Reed...now THAT is heartbreak.

Actually Gamble played CB/WR for his freshman and soph years, but started at corner fo OSU his soph and junior years.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he was dabbling with DB for a while but was mainly WR until his junior year?

My mistake. (but you got the point)

Members online

Latest posts