Childress is in a no-win situation with Favre

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
We addressed in some detail during PFT Daily the situation that has arisen between Vikings coach Brad Childress and Vikings quarterback/coach Brett Favre.We addressed it in even more detail with Vikings play-by-play man Paul Allen of KFAN on Tuesday. In...

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The whole thing

We addressed in some detail during PFT Daily the situation that has arisen between Vikings coach Brad Childress and Vikings quarterback/coach Brett Favre.

We addressed it in even more detail with Vikings play-by-play man Paul Allen of KFAN on Tuesday. In lieu of transcribing my own words (I think I said "blowed out" twice), I'll merely run the link to P.A.'s podcast page.

The segment starts roughly two-thirds of the way into the one-hour clip from the show.

I also touched on the Favre-Childress schism with Dan Patrick, along with a bunch of other issues. You can listen to it http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/90941/index.htmlhttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/90941/index.html

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This whole thing is blown out of proportion...

Maybe, maybe not..

I did hear today that lot of the players are saying Brett is making more and more changes in the huddle and not doing what Bevel and Chilly wants him to do...

Happened in both of the games vs the Pack and in both Chilly told Bevel to bench Brett.

Now hearing that their TE ( cant spell his name) came out and said as the season has gone on, Brett is making up his own plays in the huddle..

Could that be a reason for the ugly performances the last few weeks?

I do know this...In Gb they had it with him ad-libing all the time ( int in the Giants game was told not to audible out of it and he did to the pass that got int)

They wanted him to stop doing that and stay true to the "team" concept and he couldnt do it..

Now he is doing it in Minny, but now its coming out in the public where as in GB they wouldnt bring it up

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So he wasn't benched because that game meant little and he was getting sacked and thrown down constantly? Well, then it's something.

But what I read is that this was the reason, and that he was discussing because he wanted to be on the field.

But I didn't look into it much, I don't really care much about Favre or the Vikings anymore, I only care if they're losing or not...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So he wasn't benched because that game meant little and he was getting sacked and thrown down constantly? Well, then it's something.

But what I read is that this was the reason, and that he was discussing because he wanted to be on the field.

But I didn't look into it much, I don't really care much about Favre or the Vikings anymore, I only care if they're losing or not...

I want this known before I get labeled a hater

He had every right to do what he did, as a leader he should WANT to be on the field and not be taken out.

However he should not air this crap out in the public, he did it with the Jets (injury) and now this..that needs to stay in the private part...

He should be okay with taken himself out of any game that is out of hand to protect himself...And that is what he wasnt willing to do in the Minny game and the Detroit game

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me they're just trying to create some controversy because they can't re-schedule the Monday Night game...

The Vikings know that without Favre they wouldn't have a chance, and while he's winning, they'll shut up and go with him.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

If Minnesota wins that game, they sit 1 game behind New Orleans in the home field advantage race, and Minnesota holds the tiebreaker.

If home field means anything to you, you don't try to bench your best option to win.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Minnesota wins that game, they sit 1 game behind New Orleans in the home field advantage race, and Minnesota holds the tiebreaker.

If home field means anything to you, you don't try to bench your best option to win.
Does homefield advantage means more than the health of a 40 year old QB, which is the best shot you get of reaching the SB?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, who is telling the truth?

Favre isn't to blame for Vikings' recent struggles

SNIP

But Favre refused to come out, and later told reporters that he had established that with Childress in "a little heated discussion."

Favre also made it clear he wasn't concerned about whether his coach was trying to protect him because his lone objective was "to win this ballgame. I want to stay in and do everything I can."

According to a source close to the Vikings, that version of the conversation was news to Childress, who was showering in another part of the dressing room during Favre's postgame media session.

Afterward, when a member of the team's public relations staff relayed Favre's comments to the coach, he met with the quarterback and essentially asked, "What are you talking about?

I talked with you about saving yourself. It wasn't about you playing or not playing (due to poor performance)." The two quickly resolved the matter, the source said, and there are no lingering hard feelings between them.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Brad Childress, Brett Favre dispute has been festering for awhile - TwinCities.com

During the Minnesota Vikings' 10-1 start, coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brett Favre celebrated plenty of highs.

But their relationship hit a low Sunday night during and after a 26-7 loss to the Carolina Panthers. NBC cameras captured Childress and Favre having an animated discussion on the sideline in the third quarter, which the quarterback later said revolved around the coach's inclination to plug in backup Tarvaris Jackson.

Interviews with six members of the organization revealed that Childress ripped his offense during halftime Sunday and that he privately unleashed an expletive-laden outburst toward Favre long after the game in the visitors' locker room.

The focus Monday was on damage control, with Childress downplaying his sideline discussion with Favre and suggesting that the point of his "stream of consciousness" centered more on the physical toll his veteran quarterback was enduring than anything else.

In addition, a "calm Childress," as one player described him, made sure they were given their caps and T-shirts celebrating the 2009 NFC North championship.

But all is not well between Brad and Brett, and the primary difference centers on the quarterback's penchant to check out of runs and into passes. According to one team member, Favre has expressed frustration for much of the season about Childress' unwillingness to let him audible more.
ESPN reported Monday that Childress considered replacing Favre on Nov. 1 against the Green Bay Packers, and two people with the team told the Pioneer Press that the coach considered replacing the quarterback Nov. 15 against the Detroit Lions.

Both incidents were overlooked, but Sunday's was uncovered.
Childress lashed out at his offense at halftime, after the unit had mustered just 66 net yards and struggled to run or pass the ball.
He cursed, and he called it "laughable" that they consider themselves a Super Bowl team.
One player described the tirade as "entertaining." Another likened it to a parent chastising a teenager.

The offense opened the second half with another three-and-out series, and Favre apparently pushed his coach over the edge on the next series. According to a member of the team, Favre checked out of a run and into a pass, then was sacked for a 5-yard loss by Panthers cornerback Dante Wesley.

The Vikings punted the ball away for the fifth time in the game on the next play.

NBC cameras showed the exchange, with Childress placing his right hand on Favre's left biceps. But Favre pulled his arm away after Childress said something to him.

"We didn't have time - I didn't have time to sit there and say why or what. My response was, 'We've got to win this ballgame, and I want to stay in and do whatever I can.'

"Now, unfortunately, I didn't do that, but that was my intention."
Apparently that wasn't the first time he's infuriated Childress with an audible.

On Nov. 1 at Lambeau Field, the Vikings were leading 31-26 and seemed to be taking a conservative approach. On first down, from the Minnesota 41, Favre completed a screen pass that running back Adrian Peterson turned into a 44-yard gain. The Vikings ran the ball on the next two plays, losing a yard, and faced third and 11.

A run was called, according to ESPN, but Favre audibled and completed a 16-yard touchdown pass to receiver Bernard Berrian.

Despite the 38-26 lead, Childress instructed offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell to remove Favre from the game, ESPN reported, but the quarterback returned to action and handed the ball off on four consecutive plays.

Against the Lions on Nov. 15, Favre called an audible early in the second quarter that upset Childress, who told Jackson to start warming up, according to two team members. The Vikings were clinging to a 3-0 lead until Peterson scored on a 22-yard run with just under 11 minutes remaining in the quarter.

But Favre remained in the game, which the Vikings won 27-10, and he completed 20 of 29 passes for 344 yards and one touchdown with no interceptions.

Childress was asked Monday if he has broached the idea of giving way to Jackson in a close game this season.

"Where I approached him? No," Childress said.

Asked if there was any game when he thought about doing it, Childress said, "Now we're going deep. I'm going to let you guys go deep with (that) however you want."

Since taking over the Vikings in 2006, Childress has empowered his defensive coordinators but reigned over the offense.

His inflexibility frustrated veteran quarterback Brad Johnson, and Gus Frerotte lamented to the Pioneer Press in August that he "basically had to run whatever they called." Frerotte also wondered if Childress and Favre could co-exist.

"It will be interesting to see if coach lets him do that or (he) still wants to take control and lead everything," Frerotte said of Childress.

In a story published Oct. 24, Bevell insisted Favre doesn't do "anything on his own," although he acknowledged that Favre "probably has more leeway" than his predecessors "because of his experience."

But tight end Visanthe Shiancoe said Favre was "progressively making more and more" adjustments. "He's playing outside the lines but within the scheme," Shiancoe said at the time.

Favre, who is easygoing off the field, draws plenty of laughs at his press conferences, and he has referred to Childress as "Chilli" in several instances. But Favre hasn't abided by one of Childress' credos: not to air in-house information publicly.

Favre has been forthcoming about his own injuries, as well as the ailments of other players this season, including starting offensive tackles Bryant McKinnie (ankle) and Phil Loadholt (shoulder).

But Childress didn't express outrage about Favre's post-game comments.
"I think he probably gave you a stream of consciousness from the best of his recollection, wouldn't you say? Yeah," Childress said. "The great thing about telling the truth is you can tell it over and over again."

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, now this is much deeper.

It could cause some problems (hopefully) over there.

But as long as it's working, nothing will happen.

But if it's not...

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is the part where we all chuckle and say, "Well, that's just Brett being Brett", and walk away. Unless, of course, you're Childress, where you're probably steaming a bit because your talented ********* QB is making you look like an *** in the press. Yep, the ol' gunslinger don't need no stinkin' coachin'.

Members online

Latest posts