Chicago Tribune loving...the Packers? wwwhhhattt?

Strolan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This article doesn't surprise me one bit. It speaks to how the Packers run their whole team from the top down. Rodgers does so well as a Packer because the Packers are made for a QB like ARodge. It really is a perfect fit and should last for many years to come.

Makes you wonder if Arodge had gone #1 to the Niners instead of Smith if he would have done as well? I think he would had been great there, but you have to wonder if he would have had the success he has had with the Pack.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are Super Bowl champs so there's no denying that they're doing something right. I don't think the Bears are as far off as most people think they are right now. For one, they gave us fits this year. They have an outstanding coaching staff that will continue to get more and more out of their team in the coming years.

Still, we're Super Bowl champs so those a-holes can suck it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I got a poster and knit hat from them for the SB

10$

I get paper for 10 weeks, then got a $5 gift card back..

Only did it for the hat lol

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good article, thanks for posting it. I saw this in one of the Tribune's blogs that I thought was interesting:

Posted by: Biff | February 07, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I am not sure anyone saw what really happened this year.
Two teams figured out a strategy and economic hole in the NFL. The Packers and the Steelers.
Everyone calls their defense a 3-4. It is not. If you are paying any attention, they both play a 2-4-5.
First the strategic advantage. There must be five lineman on offense ineligible for a pass. Add a sixth in the QB and you can only have five potential offensive receivers. By playing a 2-4-5 that gives you nine potential players to allocate to the five potential offensive receivers. That frees you up to allocate four other fast defensive players to blitz and support the run. An offense can't run a hurry up as well. That is because the defense does not need to change personnel fast on second and third down with nickel and dime coverages. Finally the amount of QB reads is infinite.
Second the economic hole. The laws of supply and demand for big and athletic defensive lineman ensures they are the highest paid players in the game. By employing the 2-4-5 you only need two down lineman and with the second and third levels with so much help you only need guys who can run and hit hard. The laws of supply and demand are reversed. There is an abundance of players that can do it.
Why in the hell do you think the Packers could overcome so many injuries? How could they win the game without Woodson. Because it is not the players and the coaches as much as it is the system.
The NFL has always periodically seen new cutting edge strategies come along every once and a while. In this copycat league, after the labor dispute, look for teams to either copy the Packers and Steelers, build their offensive lines to go back to a running attack or for the NFL to change the rules (most unlikely).
But to call this Superbowl and the Packers a dynasty misses the entire point of strategic and economic arbitrage.
This kind of outthinking opponents is the only way to consistently win.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are Super Bowl champs so there's no denying that they're doing something right. I don't think the Bears are as far off as most people think they are right now. For one, they gave us fits this year. They have an outstanding coaching staff that will continue to get more and more out of their team in the coming years.

Still, we're Super Bowl champs so those a-holes can suck it.

Nope, they still suck. Lucky year, fluke year. Won't happen again. They'll go back to sucking just as bad as we all know and love next season... Welcome back Bottom Feeder Bears!

And even if none of what I said is true, it's what I choose to believe, because it brings joy to my life.

So there...

Members online

Latest posts