Chicago Tribune calls GB's QB situation 'risky business'

PackerGeek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To put this in perspective we have three guys who have never started a game in our line-up and we still have the best QB-corp in the division. Rodgers is the best QB in the division right now and I would start Brian Brohm any day over Grossman or Jackson. Kitna may be a bit better than Brohm right now because of his experience but give it a year. I know it's not saying much because the rest of the division is very weak at the postion but we do play 6 of our games in the division so that's gotta make ya feel happy.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How on earth can any Chicago team complain about another teams' QB situation.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To put this in perspective we have three guys who have never started a game in our line-up and we still have the best QB-corp in the division. Rodgers is the best QB in the division right now and I would start Brian Brohm any day over Grossman or Jackson. Kitna may be a bit better than Brohm right now because of his experience but give it a year. I know it's not saying much because the rest of the division is very weak at the postion but we do play 6 of our games in the division so that's gotta make ya feel happy.

You can't say that Rodgers is the best QB in the division because he has never started a game. He may very well be, but there is no way to say that with confidence.

As for Brohm starting over Jackson or Grossman, that is ridiculous. Regardless of your opinion of either QB (Neither rank very high in my book either), to think that Brohm could come in his first year and perform better is crazy. Very few QBs, even the greats, have what it takes to perform as a rookie. And I don't think Brohm is one of the greats... yet.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerGeek said:

You can't say that Rodgers is the best QB in the division because he has never started a game. He may very well be, but there is no way to say that with confidence.

As for Brohm starting over Jackson or Grossman, that is ridiculous. Regardless of your opinion of either QB (Neither rank very high in my book either), to think that Brohm could come in his first year and perform better is crazy. Very few QBs, even the greats, have what it takes to perform as a rookie. And I don't think Brohm is one of the greats... yet.

Adrian Peterson didn't start a game at this time last year. Was Kevin Jones and Cedrick Benson better?

Not likely. That's how I relate Rodgers to the QB's in this division.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all to say Brohm could start over Grossman or Jackson. Maybe unlikely. People think John David Booty might start over Jackson and Booty isn't better than Brohm in my opinion.

Personally I think at this time next year, Brohm will be better than Grossman and Jackson. That's just the reality of the situation the NFC North is in right now.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
PackerGeek said:

Adrian Peterson didn't start a game at this time last year. Was Kevin Jones and Cedrick Benson better?

I don't think it's ridiculous at all to say Brohm could start over Grossman or Jackson. Maybe unlikely. People think John David Booty might start over Jackson and Booty isn't better than Brohm in my opinion.

Personally I think at this time next year, Brohm will be better than Grossman and Jackson. That's just the reality of the situation the NFC North is in right now.

There is no way on earth that Booty could start over Jackson. Anyone who says that is just showing how little they actually know about the Vikings QB corps.

And I agree that there is a decent chance that Brohm is better than TJack and Grossman at this time next year. However, he is not better than either one of them right now.

Also, in May 2007, anybody who said that AD was the best running back in the NFC North was also delusional. You simply can't say that about a player who has never started with any kind of confidence. Same goes for Rodgers. At best you can predict that he will be the best QB in the NFC North (and I will agree with you there). But you cannot proclaim him as such before he gets a chance to actually play the game.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
NodakPaul said:
PackerGeek said:

There is no way on earth that Booty could start over Jackson. Anyone who says that is just showing how little they actually know about the Vikings QB corps.

And I agree that there is a decent chance that Brohm is better than TJack and Grossman at this time next year. However, he is not better than either one of them right now.

Also, in May 2007, anybody who said that AD was the best running back in the NFC North was also delusional. You simply can't say that about a player who has never started with any kind of confidence. Same goes for Rodgers. At best you can predict that he will be the best QB in the NFC North (and I will agree with you there). But you cannot proclaim him as such before he gets a chance to actually play the game.

Anyone who said that was correct not delusional.

Just because a player is a rookie doesn't mean he doesn't know how to play football. I mean that's what this is. Let's not complicate the NFL. It might be a different type of "beast" but it's still football.

You know why people get predictions wrong all the time?

People expect a team to be bad because they have younger players or in experience. What difference does it make as long as your good. Peterson is good and so will be Rodgers.

You can't possibly sit here and say because Jackson has started in the NFL, he's better. Rodgers PT against Dallas is better than anything I've seen from Jackson. You can make that argument. That isn't so much praise of Aaron Rodgers but rather a slap in the face to how bad the QB's in this division are.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forgive the profanity, but my 125 lb Old English Mastiff took a **** this morning that is a better QB than Rex Grossman.

Seriously, how is there any debate on the **** Rexy issue?

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Forgive the profanity, but my 125 lb Old English Mastiff took a **** this morning that is a better QB than Rex Grossman.

Come on, there could be children here. Let's not use the RG word.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also would think it is safe to say that ARod has a better cast around him than the Bears, Vikes or, certainly Detroit, on offense and the teams overall.

I think too that Mike McCarthy can think, offensively, circles around that of any of those teams as well. Also, one of the reasons MM got the job was his ability to work with and bring along young QB's in the NFL.

It's not just completely about the QB's ability alone. They have to be put in a position to be successful thru great coaching and have the guys around them to make the plays. The Packers, for example, have an offensive scheme and player ability to take 10/15 yard passes all the way to the house to a HIGHER DEGREE than these other teams.

One last thing here. Brett Favre's teammates ralied around him because he was a highly respected legendary player. I believe this year, however, with all the youth on the team, they raly around Rodgers because he is right where they have been.... a young guy trying to establish themselves.

I believe these guys will relate to Rodgers and get behind him and play hard for him. I am not certain that same sentiment holds true in Minny or Chicago at this time. I highly doubt either team is truly fired up to see these guys under center again this year. They've been there and done that and the results have been horrible. Detroit well, what can you say, they're ALWAYS horrible.

There's a lot more to a QB's success than how many games they have started or pure arm strength or ability to move around. The QB producing the most WINS will be the guy that also has more of the above things working for them to a high level as well.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
porky88 said:
NodakPaul said:
PackerGeek said:

Anyone who said that was correct not delusional.

Just because a player is a rookie doesn't mean he doesn't know how to play football. I mean that's what this is. Let's not complicate the NFL. It might be a different type of "beast" but it's still football.

You know why people get predictions wrong all the time?

People expect a team to be bad because they have younger players or in experience. What difference does it make as long as your good. Peterson is good and so will be Rodgers.

You can't possibly sit here and say because Jackson has started in the NFL, he's better. Rodgers PT against Dallas is better than anything I've seen from Jackson. You can make that argument. That isn't so much praise of Aaron Rodgers but rather a slap in the face to how bad the QB's in this division are.

I never said that rookies don't know how to play football. But very, very few rookies are able to transition into the NFL seamlessly. It is not complicating anything, it is a fact of the game. The NFL plays faster, harder, and longer than any college team does. It takes time, especially in skill positions, to adjust.

In order to be considered the best, you must have done something to measure yourself against others. Potential doesn't make you the best.

PackerGeek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon the only one who didn't realize you had the best RB in the NFC north 10 minutes after Adrain peterson was drafted was Brad Childress, for some reason it took him until week until week 8 to figure that one out

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think of it this way........Wrecks reallyGrossman got to the SB. (Yeah, he lost, but he GOT there)
If Wrecks can do it, why do Viking fans think Rodgers can't? We have LOTS better O-players then the Bears did. And i think our D is catching the Bears D.
Heck.....if Wrecks can do it, the Viking fans HAVE to have hope for Tarvaris, don't they?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said that rookies don't know how to play football. But very, very few rookies are able to transition into the NFL seamlessly. It is not complicating anything, it is a fact of the game. The NFL plays faster, harder, and longer than any college team does. It takes time, especially in skill positions, to adjust.

In order to be considered the best, you must have done something to measure yourself against others. Potential doesn't make you the best.

Most players that's true but you can tell who is going to be special. Adrian Peterson is the highest Heisman vote getter for a freshman player of all time. You new when he was 18 that he was going to be a special player. Injuries had to of been the only reason he dropped.

At first I didn't see it with Rodgers. I saw the next Kyle Boller but I'm starting to see something special with him. It really started at this time last year.

I would hope Packer fans don't compare him to Brett Favre or anything like that. Just like nobody was comparing Peterson to Ladainian Tomlinson at this time last year but comparing AP to Kevin Jones and Cedrick Benson isn't that much of a stretch. Just like comparing Rodgers to Jackson, Kitna, and especially Grossman isn't either. It's just the way the division is built right now.

Phillip Rivers for example has won 25 of his first 32 starts. He took over for a team coming off of a 9-7 year. That's kind of the situation Rodgers has fallen into here except he's taking over a team that went 13-3.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the beginning of last season, I wish NoDakPaul had been GM of the Vikings and I was GM of the Packers. I would've offered to trade our starting RB, Vernand Morency, for the Vikings' unproven rookie, Adrian Peterson. I'm sure anyone would be glad to make a trade with someone who was delusional enough to think Peterson was the best RB in the division.

Seriously, every player in the league, including veterans, is judged on potential. We make our best guess as to how they will play in the future based on what we know about them. With veterans, we have a more solid basis for our judgments, but I will always take a younger player with a good resume over a mediocre veteran.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think of it this way........Wrecks reallyGrossman got to the SB. (Yeah, he lost, but he GOT there)
If Wrecks can do it, why do Viking fans think Rodgers can't? We have LOTS better O-players then the Bears did. And i think our D is catching the Bears D.
Heck.....if Wrecks can do it, the Viking fans HAVE to have hope for Tarvaris, don't they?

Yes!

I think you nailed it on the head. BECAUSE Bears went to the superbowl with Grossman, the Viking fans believe that Tarvaris Jackson can lead the Vikings. Lets blame Grossman.

I don't know why the Vikings fans are so caught up in tooting the Jackson horn. IF the Vikings have someone to toot about it is their Runningback who may already be the best in the league. Jackson has proven that he would make a good back up to a backup on most teams with a good QB.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

NICE!

When do you think Rodge will run into Rebecca DeNornay? Thus starting up the Risky business part 2...?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to have to defend our Viking friend Nodak here.

In the NFL, QBs take forever to get ready. It's usually about their 3rd year that they start not to suck. So yes, as of '08, I'll have to take Jackson over Brohm. Of course in '10, I'm willing to bet Brohm would be better than Jackson.

As for Wrecks, my Grandma will do better than Wrecks. Had she been QB for da Bears in that SB, da Bears would have won. The Colts did NOT win that Super Bowl. da Bears lost it, and it was ALL because of Wrecks. If you don't believe me, watch the dang thing again. That guy's (Wrecks) an idiot, and anyone saying anyone would be worse than Wrecks needs to stop sniffing glue. He's the worst starting QB in the NFL.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to have to defend our Viking friend Nodak here.

In the NFL, QBs take forever to get ready. It's usually about their 3rd year that they start not to suck. So yes, as of '08, I'll have to take Jackson over Brohm. Of course in '10, I'm willing to bet Brohm would be better than Jackson.

As for Wrecks, my Grandma will do better than Wrecks. Had she been QB for da Bears in that SB, da Bears would have won. The Colts did NOT win that Super Bowl. da Bears lost it, and it was ALL because of Wrecks. If you don't believe me, watch the dang thing again. That guy's (Wrecks) an idiot, and anyone saying anyone would be worse than Wrecks needs to stop sniffing glue. He's the worst starting QB in the NFL.

Also, to add to the support of Nodak, most of this argument is coming down to semantics.

You can't say Brohm is a better NFL qb, because he isn't one yet. I may get hired on My 5th as an assassin, but until one of my "targets" stops breathing, I'm not actually an assassin. Until that last breath, I'm still just a "projected assassin", or "potential assassin".

Brohm may be a better asset, or have higher odds of success in most people's minds than Kitna or T-Jack, but he hasn't touched a ball during a regular game, which both of the afforementioned guys have done, and are therefore better NFL QB's than anyone who hasn't played.

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe how quick you all were to dismiss this article just because the author is a Chicago reporter. Think about it. Chicago media members have the most experiance out of anyone at covering sketchy QB situations. I think you really have to consider this article an "expert opinion".

:wink: :)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe how quick you all were to dismiss this article just because the author is a Chicago reporter. Think about it. Chicago media members have the most experiance out of anyone at covering sketchy QB situations. I think you really have to consider this article an "expert opinion".

:rotflmao:

Now, that was funny. :cool:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
josdin00 said:

I had to actually READ it to catch the joke........ :lol:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
josdin00 said:

I had to actually READ it to catch the joke........ :lol:

You know what's funny is several of our Viking friends are funny people. Speaking of funny, where is that purple gnome? I miss that guy.

Rilamann

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats funny comming from Chicago,my first thought when I read the title of this thread is our current QB situation is actually better than the Bears QB situation has been in the last 20 years.

We have 3 solid young guys at QB (Rodgers,Brohm,Flynn)all with great upside and potential and all we need is for just one of them to be soild for the Packers to continue their success.

I would bet (even though I dont bet lol) a very large amount of money that at least one of those 3 guys will be a solid starting NFL QB.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said last year that I didn't think the Bears were that good. Didn't like the "O" line much and thought the defense was thin and not as good when Brown get's hurt which is a matter of when not "if".
They are worse this year when you figure they let go of the one guy that could run the ball and the two best guys at catching it. Not that it matters much since they don't have anybody that could get them the ball anyways.

They got more holes than my backyard and I own four dogs.

Members online

Latest posts