Charles Woodson

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me or did anybody else watch Charles Woodsons innterview and wanna cry? Lol. i missed his leadership and playmaking ability big time. Its no accident the ints are down. On another note..i hope Burnett and Heyward are ready after the bye...we have some good offensive teams on the horizon.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Is it just me or did anybody else watch Charles Woodsons innterview and wanna cry? Lol. i missed his leadership and playmaking ability big time. Its no accident the ints are down. On another note..i hope Burnett and Heyward are ready after the bye...we have some good offensive teams on the horizon.

I didn't see it ... do you have a link for me? I too am a fan of Woodson.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did... and then when he stuck it to Welker on the goaline, I did shed a little tear. It reminded me of the time he knifed in to stop Willis McGahee on the goaline vs the Raven in 2011. Great player.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
So we're just going to ignore the way Denver picked on him all night long? He was abused more than a red headed step child. Cutting him loose was the right call, I just wish the options to replace him had panned out...

12theTruth

In his hay day Woodson was the man. I'll take the 2009 Woodson but the 2013 Woodson is a step or two slow. He's one of my favorite Packers post-Lombardi.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still a beast in my mind..all the great ones give up a play or two, but even at age 36 he's still better than any safety or corner we have imo. He may be a step slower but the play making ability is still there. His hit on welker and the one he made on MJD last week gave me chills.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played the run well last night. I wanted to watch Woodson, my man from Minnesota Eric Dekker, and see how Pryor plays. Woodson was in on a lot of tackles, but HyponGrey nailed it. They picked on Woodson. Then again, Manning picked their entire secondary apart.

I can't say that our lack of INTs is a result of Woodson being gone. I'd say it's more about our starting safety and best yound CB having not played. Burnett had 2 INTs last season and Heyward had 6 INTs. Woodson had 1 INT all of last season. The facts don't speak well for your argument.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played the run well last night. I wanted to watch Woodson, my man from Minnesota Eric Dekker, and see how Pryor plays. Woodson was in on a lot of tackles, but HyponGrey nailed it. They picked on Woodson. Then again, Manning picked their entire secondary apart.

I can't say that our lack of INTs is a result of Woodson being gone. I'd say it's more about our starting safety and best yound CB having not played. Burnett had 2 INTs last season and Heyward had 6 INTs. Woodson had 1 INT all of last season. The facts don't speak well for your argument.

Not even the fact that he missed more than half the season due to his collar bone? can't use that against his numbers...he was injured. Wanna argue numbers lets argue the season before the injury where i believe he led the team in takeaways.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still a beast in my mind..all the great ones give up a play or two, but even at age 36 he's still better than any safety or corner we have imo.

Now that's just crazy talk. Woodson is no longer a cover man and thus a worse corner than Shields, Hayward, House, and Williams. He's too slow. At best, he'd be the dime back on our team this year (probably the nickel with Hayward being out right now.)

At safety, yeah, he'd be an upgrade over Jennings/McMillian, but not Burnett. But what if one of those two get's their act together and becomes a competent starter?

Part of Woodson's problem is he's a bit of a gambler. That's okay at corner with safety help over the top. Now HE'S the safety over the top. Did you see last night's game? Solid tackler, yes. But he completely botched a post-corner route Welker ran because he was guessing. Had he played the receiver straight up, he would have had a chance. As it was, he was completely out of position. TD Denver.

He was great. He no longer is. Hoping for success based on the former glory of aging players is how you end up like the Steelers this year.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Woodson misses his playmaking ability too I'm not sure he is a better Safety than Jennings this year TBH.
Still a beast in my mind..all the great ones give up a play or two, but even at age 36 he's still better than any safety or corner we have imo. He may be a step slower but the play making ability is still there. His hit on welker and the one he made on MJD last week gave me chills.
A play or two? He gave up far more than that. A play or two was all he MADE. The "ability" is there, but the "opportunity" isn't because he can't get there. I love Wood, and he's one of the best to ever strap on a helmet, but lets just be honest with ourselves, he's not the Charles Woodson we all know and love. I almost cried watching him play the Colts, just remembering who he was and watching who he now is.

Last edited:

CTPackers08

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I miss Woodsons huge play making abilities. It always seemed when an INT was needed he was right there to make it happen.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a complete liability, anyone calling for him is purely basing it off what he did previously and not what he can do. Take the name off the jersey and you are looking at a very rapidly declining player that got little attention in free agency for a reason.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I opened the link to this forum, thinking it'd be about how sad it was watching Woodson play on MNF and that it's too bad to watch such a great get abused like that. But, alas, some still think he has it. As Ivo succinctly stated, he's well past his prime. The name recognition is all he has. He's a liability in a bad Oakland secondary. He wouldn't have made the team at CB in a fair competition - Shields, Tramon, Hayward, House, Bush (ST play carries the day), and Hyde (potential) are all better and he'd been in a dead heat at S, but probably wouldn't have beaten them out given their age and hope for improvement.

12theTruth

I opened the link to this forum, thinking it'd be about how sad it was watching Woodson play on MNF and that it's too bad to watch such a great get abused like that. But, alas, some still think he has it. As Ivo succinctly stated, he's well past his prime. The name recognition is all he has. He's a liability in a bad Oakland secondary. He wouldn't have made the team at CB in a fair competition - Shields, Tramon, Hayward, House, Bush (ST play carries the day), and Hyde (potential) are all better and he'd been in a dead heat at S, but probably wouldn't have beaten them out given their age and hope for improvement.

Sometimes the greats just don't know when to hang it up like Barry Sanders and Jim Brown. Go out on top and your legacy builds. Go out on a whimper and allow for second guessing.

12theTruth

Woodson still got some gas in the tank. Last night ties NFL Record with 13 career defensive TD returns and seals the game with a winning interception.

It is inevitable that he isn't at the level of a couple years ago, but d@mn he's still got the heart of a champion and that unique play making ability.

Woodson sure may be a step or two slow but in 2013 compared to Davon House, MD Jennings, Jarret Bush and Jerome McMillian-- Charles Woodson he'd be a Jim Thorpe.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the man has gator arms and the refs know it. Loved the guy in his prime, but that unfortunately is not now.

Members online

Latest posts