1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Charles Woodson getting released

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by justcallmedaddy, Feb 15, 2013.

1. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    True, but as a player that made his primary contribution under the Packers his name will be shown in bold under the Packers I believe. For example, Jim Ringo played for both the Packers and the Eagles but he is shown in bold on the Hall of Fame register as a Packer. And I am convinced Woodson will choose to accept his membership as a Packer player at his induction ceremony..i.e. being introduced by someone in the Packer organization.

2. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    His agent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +847
    Your not one of my Facebook friends. So I wouldn't know. Great minds think alike. ;)

4. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,022
    Change is always a part of sports, as in life. Time will tell if TT is doing the right thing; but if past history is any indication, he will be proven correct in letting Woodson, Jennings, Driver, etc. go. The guy has built a powerhouse in his time in Green Bay, and I have complete faith in his decisions. But I'd love to see a new offensive line coach.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +129
    I stated earlier I hate that this is the smart move...TT proves this is why GB is who GB is "A threat for the division and a run in the playoffs every year". Tough decision I'm sure, can you imagine making that decision?! Thanks Woodson...now go to an AFC contender.

6. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013

Nope, he's staying in the NFC.

7. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I'm still so sad to kick Chuck to the curb.
    I can't believe he can't play a traditional free safety for us.

8. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    This is exactly correct. A recent example of this is Rod Woodson, who went in as Rod Woodson, despite playing for the Raiders, Steelers and Ravens.

9. Packer Fan in SD

Packer Fan in SD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    The only real important part is when the media states x number of Bear HOF'ers and soon, well, in a few years, 24 Packers in the HOF!

10. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    LOL, what is a "wubby"?

11. DevilDon

Ratings:
    +445
    I agree Kitten, I think the difference lies in the person or the fan.
    Driver is a great story but Wood was the epitome of Packer lore. He was a kid with severe club feet, he was a malcontent with ambition in Oakland. He was a hall of famer in Green Bay.
    For all the people that still adore Brett Favre I point to the Chuck Woodson story to point out what Green Bay means to some players. It's the team not the player.
    Brett was a spoiled asspipe in Atlanta and the Packers made him a star. Wood was a spoiled asshat in Oakland and the Packers made him a HOFer. Neither player made this franchise elite, this franchise made them elite. Reggie White told him God said to come to Green Bay. I'm not inclined to argue with Reggie.
    Without Green Bay who knows how Favre or Woodson would have continued their career. Charles Woodson will not for one second forget what the Green Bay Packers were to him and his family. One only wishes that a QB would recognize what it was to him.
    Good Lord, I'm gonna miss "21"

12. DevilDon

Ratings:
    +445
    You can't say that with any authority. Either way, a class act, a professional and a great person will be missed.
    My favorite Packer in the last 20 or so years, I'm going to miss him.
    Sad tidings for ole' DevilDon.

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +129
    Don't act like you can even pretend to know...even if he stays in NFC a "told you so" wouldn't be valid at all. Be like me calling the coin toss...50-50 chance doesn't mean anything.

14. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    Watch him go to New England.

15. DevilDon

Ratings:
    +445
    Now if you can tell which team in the NFC he's going to that's like calling the coin to be a penny, nickel, dime, quarter, half piece or silver dollar that is going to be flipped before you take it out of your pocket.

16. robertk328

robertk328 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    I'm hoping he goes into the HOF wearing green/gold.

17. robertk328

robertk328 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    Why would teams resign a player for a day to let them retire then? Not arguing just asking the question. Players have done it -- just wondering what purpose it has if it doesn't mean anything :)

18. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    Its just a nice gesture and allows for a ceremonious official retirement press conference. Good PR for the original team and the fans appreciate it. It's not like its a real contract that counts for anything.

19. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983
    Profootball HOF doesnt allow players to entire as a member of any team..

Teams do the one day thing so that player "retires" as a member of that team..Just makes for a good story and makes that player feel special I guess??

20. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    I'm still holding out hope we can bring Woodson back for less money and go on another Super Bowl run. Theres going to be alot of plays that get left on the field that #21 would've made. I usually don't focus on watching any other games besides Packer games.. but i will watch every game for his next team that's for sure.

21. BigBluePride

BigBluePride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    Charles Woodson is a class act and will go to Hall of Fame. Who knows, maybe he signs back with you guys for less money.

Charles Woodson may be getting a little long in the tooth and his speed is a little off but doggone it, it is tough to replace that type of leadership. Also, I don't think I have ever read or heard anything negative about him for his entire career. I really wish we had a guy like Charles Woodson in NY Giants secondary. He is a great example and i am sure he is great at mentoring the younger players.

From this NY Giants fan, best of luck to Charles Woodson wherever he winds up. He is one of the good guys.

• Like Like x 1
  22. BigBluePride

BigBluePride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20

A wubby is a poncho liner.

23. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983
    I think he meant that dad tosses out your wubby means security blanket..Teddy bear..What ever the child has to give comfort..

Or are you saying your wubby is a poncho liner :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,071
    It has to be a regional thing. :) Hey, I had no idea what a "wubby" is neither. I was hoping someone would explain it before I had to ask too. LMAO.

• Like Like x 1
  25. BigBluePride

BigBluePride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    That makes sense because in the field we use our poncho liners to wrap up in when we sleep and I guess that is why it is called a wubby because of it being a sort of security blanket.