Charles Woodson getting released

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The move had to be done but it still really sucks and will suck even worse if we have to play him in the playoffs. Im sure he will only consider a really good team. I wish we could have kept him for alot less. He has a couple more good years in him. Who knows maybe he wanted out after the way we played d vs the 49ers . He might be pissed at capers.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cap situation made this one inevitable but it's still tough to see him let go.

Woodson is one of my all-time favorite Packers.

In a perfect world, there would be a place for him on the coaching staff in GB.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Given his injury record, and I do like the guy, but which "serious contender" can you honestly see offering him a contract for the money he`ll want ? I agree he was a damn good player, but I cant see any serious contenders wanting to use up money for two years play at best. And thats assuming he doesn`t get injured AGAIN. IMHO

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Woodson's injury is in fact chronic, this is a sad but necessary move. If, however, it is just a business i.e. cheapness decision and Woodson does have a couple more good years in him, then the team has been weakened unnecessarily. Time will tell, I guess. To TT's credit, he has picked up some good DBs in Hayward, House, Shields, and maybe McMillian but Woodson diminished by age is still more of a playmaker than any of them and probably more than there is realistic hope of getting in the draft or free agency.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I heard the Bears wanted to look at him as WR. After all, Cutler had been so good a throwing the ball to him the past few years it would be an upgrade to their WR corp.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
i yelled "F*CK" in my cubicle once i heard this news.

Yeah...I was in my office and my son texted me. I said "Aw...son of a *****" looked up and the bank's president was standing there. "The Pack had to let Woodson go." He says, "Aw f*ck...that's too bad..." I responded, "Yeah, no ****". What can I say? It was Friday

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Light it up VS the Pack?

And if they do light it up and that makes the Packers miss the playoffs? Then what

i don't really care who disagrees. We complain about how bad the defense is then turn around and let one of our top play makers go? yea that will make us better. I hope they light it up against EVERYONE they play is what i'm saying... if it's us then so be it. IMO i feel like we should be trying to keep one of the two. With both guys having close ties to the michigan area if i were Jennings and Woodson i'd be planning on being teammates in Detroit. Yea wouldn't that be a sight to see. SMH it was a bad move that's just how i feel.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry dude, but i don't like the move and i'm venting. The defense just got worse at this point.
Remember how bad Peterson and the Vikings toched us in week 17? Then remember how much better we tackled the following week with Woodson in there?
The analysts all talked about what a big difference Woodson makes to our defense.
Now he's simply not good enough to be on the team? Didn't even ask him about staying at a lesser $?
That part I don't like.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't really care who disagrees. We complain about how bad the defense is then turn around and let one of our top play makers go? yea that will make us better. I hope they light it up against EVERYONE they play is what i'm saying... if it's us then so be it. IMO i feel like we should be trying to keep one of the two. With both guys having close ties to the michigan area if i were Jennings and Woodson i'd be planning on being teammates in Detroit. Yea wouldn't that be a sight to see. SMH it was a bad move that's just how i feel.

You're living in the past. He's a liability in the secondary. He can play strong against the run. But there is no doubting that he lost a step. If he wasn't beaten on the pass route, he was called for PI or holding. He's been a great Packers player over the years, but it's better to cut him a year early than a year late. TT is doing the right thing.

And Frank - key difference b/w week 17 and rd. 1 of playoffs - Ponder. The Vikes had no semblance of a passing game with Webb. Our defense looked all-world in rd. 1 because of it. Charles Woodson was not the difference.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best of luck to Charles. A great Packer and sure Hall of Famer. Thanks for helping to make the Packers great once again.

bradwillrockyou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hope he goes to Minnesota and has an all pro year! A Contender will snatch him up quickly. He's older but you can't ignore his play making ability. Even in the games against Minnesota and San Franciso he was making plays and he's still got good football in him. I don't agree with the move. Hopefully he and Jennings light it up next year.

Hey Moderators! What would you think about having some sort of indicator by every users name indicating what team they support (maybe people could check a team fan box when they sign up)? It's always disorienting seeing anti-Packer posts by obvious Viking fans (for example) when it says "Cheesehead" next to their name. Just a thought!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Moderators! What would you think about having some sort of indicator by every users name indicating what team they support (maybe people could check a team fan box when they sign up)? It's always disorienting seeing anti-Packer posts by obvious Viking fans (for example) when it says "Cheesehead" next to their name. Just a thought!

Not sure what you are insinuating Jimbo but i'm not a Queens fan at all. On another note as a former Packers great i don't have a problem seeing the guy do work next year in another uniform because he was so great here. Some of you probably wanna see him do bad so you can be like hey i told cha so. Me on the other hand? I hope he plays like he is worth 10 million so i can say i told you so.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think that says more than anything about this team's defensive needs. Entirely too many plays were made in Woodson's general vicinity this year yet he was still one of our top playmakers. That's sad. As far as if it was a good move or bad move, it was kinda both. Wood is definitely past his prime and his contract was huge, but his leadership and versatility and all he meant to this defense... I do think you're being a bit whiny though. "The Packers let my favorite player go, I hope he goes to a rival and he kicks their butt! That'll show them how much of a stupid head jerk face they are!!!"

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that says more than anything about this team's defensive needs. Entirely too many plays were made in Woodson's general vicinity this year yet he was still one of our top playmakers. That's sad. As far as if it was a good move or bad move, it was kinda both. Wood is definitely past his prime and his contract was huge, but his leadership and versatility and all he meant to this defense... I do think you're being a bit whiny though. "The Packers let my favorite player go, I hope he goes to a rival and he kicks their butt! That'll show them how much of a stupid head jerk face they are!!!"

yea that's exactly what i said sir:tup: uhhh Read my post again bro. Why would i say i hope he "tears up' the Packers when i don't even know where he's going? seriously i'm dying to hear your response. Don't leave out what i really said in your next response tho alright? thanks.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
yea that's exactly what i said sir:tup: uhhh Read my post again bro. Why would i say i hope he "tears up' the Packers when i don't even know where he's going? seriously i'm dying to hear your response. Don't leave out what i really said in your next response tho alright? thanks.
hope he goes to Minnesota and has an all pro year! A Contender will snatch him up quickly. He's older but you can't ignore his play making ability. Even in the games against Minnesota and San Franciso he was making plays and he's still got good football in him. I don't agree with the move. Hopefully he and Jennings light it up next year.

Light it up VS the Pack?

And if they do light it up and that makes the Packers miss the playoffs? Then what

I paraphrase:
"The Packers let my favorite player go, I hope he goes to a rival and he kicks their butt! That'll show them how much of a stupid head jerk face they are!!!"

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What we need is a TROLL label to go with all the icons listed below. That and his name should be in pink by now.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To paraphrase the immortal Vince:
Just what the hell is going on up there in Green Bay?
1st they bench one of their best receivers, which then may have influenced him into an early retirement, who could have probably helped them win more games including play offs and the SB. (Driver.)
There is talk about letting another great receiver go. (Jennings.)
And now they are letting one of the key playmakers on D-Fence go. (Woodson.)
A team is supposed to bench and cut loose the good players. Not the bad.
All these players helped the Packers be the success they are.
And with them, I always felt good about the team.
Now without them I'm not so sure. The future now feels more in doubt.
And the other thing that doesn't make a lick of sense is why get rid of these good players but still keep Dom Capers around?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what you are insinuating Jimbo but i'm not a Queens fan at all. On another note as a former Packers great i don't have a problem seeing the guy do work next year in another uniform because he was so great here. Some of you probably wanna see him do bad so you can be like hey i told cha so. Me on the other hand? I hope he plays like he is worth 10 million so i can say i told you so.
10-4 good buddy.
We are of the few Packers fans around here that don't like these changes.
Benching Driver was a big mistake and now letting Woodson go is also a big one as well.
And I agree with ya. I hope that Woodson shows the Pack and it's fans that he still has something left in his tank.
Even it it's intercepting an A-Rod pass for a pick 6 to win a play off game.
What are the odds of that? Probably way too great for it to actually happen. But if it does, I'll feel bad for the Pack while at the same time OK with it.
Maybe it's easier for other Packers fans to accept these decisions, but I'm not OK with it. Yet.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
To paraphrase the immortal Vince:
Just what the hell is going on up there in Green Bay?
1st they bench one of their best receivers, which then may have influenced him into an early retirement, who could have probably helped them win more games including play offs and the SB. (Driver.)
There is talk about letting another great receiver go. (Jennings.)
And now they are letting one of the key playmakers on D-Fence go. (Woodson.)
A team is supposed to bench and cut loose the good players. Not the bad.
All these players helped the Packers be the success they are.
And with them, I always felt good about the team.
Now without them I'm not so sure. The future now feels more in doubt.
And the other thing that doesn't make a lick of sense is why get rid of these good players but still keep Dom Capers around?
:roflmao: Driver should have retired last year. There was a reason he got benched, 4 of them.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Wel
Well anyone can change their cheesehead status at anytime. I changed my status so people would know where I stand. Most fans of other teams have some sort of team name or team avatar. Not that hard to distinguish fans of the other teams here.

Members online

Latest posts