Charles Woodson getting released

OP
OP
justcallmedaddy

justcallmedaddy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think there are more un-popular moves coming...
TT knows his sh$t though, and woodson has had more than 1 big collar bone injury

I say just stop putting people at the safety position. Seems like everytime we do they get a serious injury...

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Let's just play without Safeties! Riiiiiight. Business is business, and we have a tight cap situation right now. He's 10 mil that we can literally wipe off the books. With the sheer volume of contracts expiring in the next 2 years, I doubt we'll recognize this team by 2016. Still a bit sad to see him go

H

HardRightEdge

I endorse the move. Even if he took a cut to $5 mil, or even $3 mil, we'd still be looking at an old player, injury prone in recent years, playing out of position.

I take no joy in this assessment, but the time must come even for great ballplayers. In the end, Woodson sits just behind Reggie among post-Lombardi defensive players.

If this rumor is correct, we can move safety up in the draft/FA priority list.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought there would be a little more talk about renegotiating his contract before they outright released him. When production falls and price rises there really is only one choice for the team to make. Freeing up some cap space will be helpful in re upping the contracts on some younger guys. He had a good resurgence here in GB that IMO should have locked him up as a HOF caliber player. Not saying he is a lock for first ballot or anything like that but I believe his career speaks for itself and he will be enshrined.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cutting players = players holding out

Charles has had a career unlike anyone else. Heisman as a defensive player. DPOY. SB.

I bet he catches on to a team for a season or two. I do not feel he is at the level the Packers need.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Woodson has been fantastic as a Packer but I too think this is a good move. In addition to his age and perhaps being injury-prone at this stage in his career, the gambles he was accustomed to taking weren’t paying off when he came back this season. And gambling a lot as a starting safety in the base isn’t a good idea. I do think he’d excel as the fifth DB for a team like Seattle which has four solid starters. If the Packers had two solid to great safeties and if Woodson were willing to accept A LOT less… but that’s not the case. The Packers have what they consider to be 4 solid CBs to compete for the starting and the nickel spots (Joe Whitt has said it’s going to be an all-out competition and I hope they stick to that and don’t just give Williams a spot) so Woodson would only fit in as a true safety and IMO he's not a safety.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't argue with the move. 37 years old, back to back collar bone injuries, and big contract. I will miss seeing him play and remember the great player he was for us. It's a business decision that needs to be made, however imo. Wish TT had let Driver go a year sooner.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't argue against it...just don't like that it's the smart move....sad day but a day needed.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When he was injured this season, I didn't think his loss would be that critical because of the emergence of the young secondary. See here: http://wp.me/p29VCs-ca

And for those same reasons, this was a no-brainer, especially at a $10M price-tag. We will miss his run support, but not his play defending the pass. He was a step slow and, because of that, he was caught clutching and grabbing when didn't used to. Beyond his play on the field, though, he will be missed in that locker room. With so many young DB's - Shields, House, Hayward, McMillian, Jennings, and Burnett - it was great having a consummate pro in Woodson to be a mentor. Hopefully someone can take up that leadership role.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hope he goes to Minnesota and has an all pro year! A Contender will snatch him up quickly. He's older but you can't ignore his play making ability. Even in the games against Minnesota and San Franciso he was making plays and he's still got good football in him. I don't agree with the move. Hopefully he and Jennings light it up next year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
hope he goes to Minnesota and has an all pro year! A Contender will snatch him up quickly. He's older but you can't ignore his play making ability. Even in the games against Minnesota and San Franciso he was making plays and he's still got good football in him. I don't agree with the move. Hopefully he and Jennings light it up next year.

Light it up VS the Pack?

And if they do light it up and that makes the Packers miss the playoffs? Then what

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Woodson's leadership will be missed; he mentored younger DBs unselfishly teaching them how to study opponents and being one of the team leaders.
hope he goes to Minnesota and has an all pro year! ... Hopefully he and Jennings light it up next year.
With "Packers" fans like this there's no need for Bears (or Vikings) fans.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and this again is what puts TT in the top 5. You can call the guy heartless or whatnot, but he makes the hard decisions that most of us don't want to make. He's your dad that throws out your wubby once he knows that your man enough to move on in life without it.

No disrespect intended, but I'll still miss Driver more. Nothing will erase any of the great Woodson memories that we all have for the guy. A class act, a top player in this league, and a shoe-in for Canton. I only wish that he'd have skipped that whole thing in Oakland and come straight to GB

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not like they can't bring him back under a salary that is team friendly and represents his decline in play and health.

They will give him the opportunity to get a nice contract somewhere else where he can start and if that doesn't happen I'm sure they will entertain the idea of bringing him back for a few mil......not 10.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wow!:sick:

Members online

Latest posts