Chargers fire Shotty!?!?!?!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
whoa... didn't see this coming

SCHOTT FIRED

The San Diego Chargers, their coaching staff decimated by the loss of offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, and linebackers coach Greg Manusky, have fired coach Marty Schottenheimer.

The move comes nearly four weeks after it was announced that Schottenheimer would be back for 2007.

And now that a new crop of recruits have signed on to attend USC, we wouldn't be surprised to see the Chargers court, and land, Trojans coach Peter Carroll.

In a statement issued by the team on Monday night, president Dean Spanos said attributed the move to a "dysfunctional situation," and that an "intense search" for a successor will begin.

"Our fans deserve to know what changed for me over the last month," Spanos said. "When I decision to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact. Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level. I expect exactly that from our entire Charger organization in 2007."

Although G.M. A.J. Smith has not yet been fired, keep in mind that the bulk of a front office's work is done in the days leading up to free agency and the draft. Come early May, we've got a feeling that Smith will be sent packing, too.

Back to Carroll, we're not swayed by the fact that Spanos promises an "intense search." If he says now that Carroll is the guy, the Chargers will never be able to comply with the Rooney Rule, which requires that at least one minority candidate be interviewed for the job.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. I can understand why Spanos fired Schottenheimer, but it sucks for Marty. All the other coaching vacancies have been filled. I've never heard of a coach getting fired because too many members of his staff got hired away. This may be a first.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite his track record I think he deserves another shot. His team was so good this year. That's got to be really disheartening for Marty.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite his track record I think he deserves another shot. His team was so good this year. That's got to be really disheartening for Marty.
Five years, no playoff wins. That says it all. And look at the talent he had to work with. Tomlinson. Gates. Rivers. Merriman. Donnie Edwards. That team was loaded. But they choked in the playoffs just like every other team Marty has coached for the past 15 years or so. The pattern is too well-established to ignore.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Five years, no playoff wins. That says it all. And look at the talent he had to work with. Tomlinson. Gates. Rivers. Merriman. Donnie Edwards. That team was loaded. But they choked in the playoffs just like every other team Marty has coached for the past 15 years or so. The pattern is too well-established to ignore.

You could replace Martys name with someone named Mike and it is almost the same story...

but it seems he was fired more so cuz he couldnt get along with the gm...look for the gm to hire a rookie coach, like Singletary, or rivera..This gm wants total control over it all, and a Parcells type wont go for that most likley.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he had 1 year left on his contract. I think the GM would not have renewed his contract next year. Since so much of the staff is going to be replaced including D.C. it probably is a good move to get on with it.

Being fired for off field issues even though he had a 14-2 season on the field is not too suprising. It is a personality thing.

Marty has been around awhile and probably does not want to put up with the petty little problems that interfere with coaching.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of petty to wait for the other jobs to fill first. He would have been a strong candidate for a lot of them. Did the management do that out of spite?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think he had 1 year left on his contract. I think the GM would not have renewed his contract next year. Since so much of the staff is going to be replaced including D.C. it probably is a good move to get on with it.

Being fired for off field issues even though he had a 14-2 season on the field is not too suprising. It is a personality thing.

Marty has been around awhile and probably does not want to put up with the petty little problems that interfere with coaching.

I think right after their season was done, they offered him an extension?? but he thought it was a slap in the face type money??

I looked it up...

here

Spanos said he offered one-year contract extensions to Schottenheimer and his coaching staff, all of whom had deals through the 2007 season. According to Spanos, Schottenheimer declined the offer of a one-year extension worth $4.5 million with a team buyout of $1 million “and I respect his decision.”

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the decision to fire San Diego Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer was a result of Schottenheimer wanting to interview his brother Kurt for the team's defensive coordinator position, according to sources.

General manager A.J. Smith and president Dean Spanos did not approve, but Schottenheimer held firm in asserting that he had the right to hire his own coaching staff.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of petty to wait for the other jobs to fill first. He would have been a strong candidate for a lot of them. Did the management do that out of spite?

No, that would be crazy. A lot changed over the past few weeks. They just barely decided not to fire him, then his coaching staff got gutted. That tipped the balance in the other direction.

Now I'm bummed that he didn't stay there and hire Kurt Schottenheimer away from the Packers.

Oh, another thing: As bad as this late decision is for Marty, it is also pretty bad for the Chargers. They have a much smaller pool of coaching candidates to pick from now, plus they will still need coordinators and other assistants.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing is good enough for any team anymore. Schottenheimers performance should not be measured how far he can get a team in the playoffs.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Nothing is good enough for any team anymore. Schottenheimers performance should not be measured how far he can get a team in the playoffs.

HC and GM getting along is not asking too much. the HC performance had nothign to do with his being fired. it was the relationship between the GM and HC that caused this departure.

It's all in the article posted above.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got redirected to this thread........am I supposed to know about every thread on here??? I mean geez ...Why the lock???

Neways 14-2 then fired is insane....Almost all of his losses were Miscues.....Nick keiding cost him his job...Two boched FG's in two years....He should be the one leaving.....Plus the fumble in side the 5 on the way to a TD when he was with the browns, I mean can Marty catch a break?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I got redirected to this thread........am I supposed to know about every thread on here??? I mean geez ...Why the lock???

no but if u look in the proper area you would have seen it posted :)

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
refpacker said:

Again I bring up the same point........Who reads every post??????
Ur one to talk u posted about 50 threads all on randy moss....

Also Never said arrington was great...I'll repeat that one...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
refpacker said:

Again I bring up the same point........Who reads every post??????
Ur one to talk u posted about 50 threads all on randy moss....

Also Never said arrington was great...I'll repeat that one...

Trying to flip this against me is naive and childish. Be above that.

Again I say if you look in the proper area, you would have found this thread. I never said to read every post. I said to LOOK in the proper area.

Stop making more of it than it is and DO IT! :thumbsup:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts