Chad Johnson

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ocho Stinko, anyone?

Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson left no room for doubt Wednesday: He wants out of Cincinnati as fast as possible and he doesn't plan on reporting for any future Bengal function -- mandatory or voluntary.

I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible. I don't intend on reporting to anything.
--Chad Johnson
What spurred Johnson's immediate reaction was a statement made by quarterback Carson Palmer that indicated Johnson had told Palmer he would be at the team's mandatory minicamp in mid-June. Johnson said that wasn't true.

"I want to make this very clear,'' Johnson said Wednesday. "I don't know where he got that. I made no assertion to Carson that I would do that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals.''

Johnson made one of his strongest statements in saying he is not planning on reporting to any team functions because he wants to be traded.

"I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible,'' Johnson said. "I don't intend on reporting to anything.''

The Bengals said they have no comment in response to Johnson's statements. A team spokesman pointed to coach Marvin Lewis' statement at the owners meeting that he has fully discussed the Johnson situation and didn't feel it was productive to talk about it again.

Johnson is skipping the team's offseason workouts as he tries to push for a trade. But the Bengals have also made it clear that they have no plans of trading him.

Lewis has said repeatedly that the team has no plans to deal Johnson, despite the wide receiver making the rounds of radio and television talk shows to voice his displeasure about his situation in Cincinnati.

In a February interview with Jim Rome, Johnson said he felt he was being blamed for the Bengals' problems and disappointing showing last season.

"I'm not allowed to say. I get the blame; the so-called best player, I'm the problem," he said. "Someone in-house is spreading this. Maybe they want me to quiet down [and] stop being me. That is not going to happen. I can't function that way. I tried it. It sucked. There was no excitement."

Last month, on ESPN's First Take, Johnson again hinted at wanting a trade.

"I want to continue my career wherever I have the opportunity to win a playoff game and get to the Super Bowl. That's where I want to be," he said.

Wednesday, the Pro Bowl wide receiver said he was surprised by Palmer's comments about his possibly reporting to mandatory camp.

"I wish he would stay out of my business,'' Johnson said.

I know we've had this thread, but I couldn't find it. So there it is. He really wants a trade. Sounds like he's describing the GB Packers.. "I want to continue my career wherever I have the opportunity to win a playoff game and get to the Super Bowl. That's where I want to be."

Yes. Only question is, do he and GJ duel for the number? And if they do, was it a waste of a draft pick to trade for a WR who's head would be exploded within 5 minutes of demanding that he keep his old number?

You decide. :razz:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know.........he sure is talented, and fun to watch. I just don't know if/how he would fit in here.
I think he would have to come to GB and talk to TT and MM before anything would happen. And of course he's under contract, so Cin would have to ok it.
I don't think it will happen.
But can you imagine him, GJ, and DD all going out for a pass at the same time? It would be AWESOME!

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's one of my favorite players who doesn't play for Green Bay, but I would have a hard time believing that he wouldn't mess up team chemistry.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, don't take it personally, but why, why do so many Packers fans get caught up in the debate of acquiring some other team's headache...regardless of the talent they possess....and especially at WR where we are stacked and relatively young?

Chad Johnson is a *****....an immensely talented *****....who COULD have a terribly negative affect on some of the young players in the locker room.

When you think of WHY the Packers did so well last year with such a young team, the thing that comes immediately to my mind is the incredible chemistry that exists amongst the players. Are you comfortable with the potential to destroy that chemistry with the addition of Chad Johnson, or any other talented, malcontent cast-off?

Let this dog rest, look forward to another great draft, the continued maturing of this young team, and the great team chemistry that allows them to achieve beyond their relative lack of experience.

Again, don't take it personally....just an observation.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we signed him... Arod would be at least the 3rd best QB in the league. and if you take that question mark out of the packers scenarios... we are a definite playoff team.

wont happen. but for the record... i love ocho cinco. hes a hard worker and cares whether or not he wins or loses. i like that. mouth and all. imagine all the variations of the lambeau leap he could conjure up. exciting to say the least.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was an *** in H.S.; an *** in college; and is now an *** in the pros. Do you really expect his behavior to change in any significant way at this point?

What is that....something about a leopard changing its spots...or in this case a tiger changing its stripes!

Pass............

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's one of my favorite players who doesn't play for Green Bay, but I would have a hard time believing that he wouldn't mess up team chemistry.

That's my biggest fear.

Plus, GJ is on the rise. So is JJ.
Driver is solid.

We have needs elsewhere. I'd rather fix those holes first.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, don't take it personally, but why, why do so many Packers fans get caught up in the debate of acquiring some other team's headache...regardless of the talent they possess....and especially at WR where we are stacked and relatively young?

Chad Johnson is a *****....an immensely talented *****....who COULD have a terribly negative affect on some of the young players in the locker room.

When you think of WHY the Packers did so well last year with such a young team, the thing that comes immediately to my mind is the incredible chemistry that exists amongst the players. Are you comfortable with the potential to destroy that chemistry with the addition of Chad Johnson, or any other talented, malcontent cast-off?

Let this dog rest, look forward to another great draft, the continued maturing of this young team, and the great team chemistry that allows them to achieve beyond their relative lack of experience.

I do not think pack in black will take it personal. I agree with you 100%

Remember, it is the off season. Anything to talk about is good.

I know we rehash every possibility of every player coming to the Packers, but that is O.K.

The original post was good food for thought and I enjoy reading posts like this (yours) which is a direct result of pack in black starting this thread.

Besides when I heard this in the car, the first thing that came to my mind was how he would fit in with The Packers or Raiders which is what we all think of when we hear someone wants out of their team. I think he would better suited in Silver and Black.

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting responses, guys.

My opinion is this:

Chad Johnson is one of the most talented WRs in the game, hands down a top-5, arguably top 2, and still has more than a couple Pro Bowl-level years left in him.

His celebrations/pregame stuff amuse me. IMO, the stuff he does, and usually the stuff he says in the media is in good fun. This trade business is the first time I've seen him do anything remotely negative towards his team, besides the one instance last year of he and Carson arguing while walking into halftime, which I saw as a competitive man frustrated in the midst of an ###-whooping.

He wants out, and won't be traded for pennies on the dollar. I say there's about a .03% chance that our FO would ever move on him, but that doesn't change my opinion of the "what if". Bring in Chad Johnson, and our offense is a lock for a top-3 in the league. Forget the running game questions. Chad as the #1, Jennings as the #2, Driver as #3 (!!!!!) Just think of a nickel CB lining up on Drive every snap. Then Jimbo Jones as the #4 is probably the best #4 wideout in the league far and away.

He likes to win. I like it when the Packers win. We should hook up....

OP
OP
P

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

I do not think pack in black will take it personal. ...

Remember, it is the off season. Anything to talk about is good.

RP nailed it. You just won this round, RP. Kudos, buddy!!

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"When you think of WHY the Packers did so well last year with such a young team, the thing that comes immediately to my mind is the incredible chemistry that exists amongst the players. Are you comfortable with the potential to destroy that chemistry with the addition of Chad Johnson, or any other talented, malcontent cast-off?"

What he said.

TM

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno - I saw him briefly on Carson Daly last night and he was whining about how he still aches from the 2-3 hits he took last season...

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's talented. I don't think he means to do harm with what he does and says. I think he is immature and probably quite unintelligent. The immature attitude can change, but you can't change stupid. I don't mean to insult the man for being dumb. Not everyone is a genius. Life is about playing up your strengths and managing your weaknesses, and right now his weaknesses are raging out of control. He has to get that in check. I think his success with any team depends on whether or not he is able to grow up a little bit.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think the most interesting thing about this is that it's not money motivated. in that regard it's a breath of fresh air to me.

the biggest reason why we shouldn't look in CJ's direction is because we don't need him!

after that it's because he's a baby in a grown man's body...and despite him wanting to be part of a championship team, he's still a "me" guy that cries when he doesn't get enough looks. our receivers share the ball well here and one could argue we already have 2 #1's, minus the ego and sense of entitlement.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the biggest reason why we shouldn't look in CJ's direction is because we don't need him!

Bingo!

Now if we were talking about a CB, a TE, or an OG, I'll be very, very interested.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with the comments above that Chad Johnson will turn A-Rod into a top QB or guarantee that we are a top offense. Maybe, maybe not. No doubt he has talent.

Look at our passing game last year, it was all about spreading the ball. His personality is too strong/he's too egocentric.

You can't just say he'll make the passing game better because it's very possible that he will undermine what worked last year.

The impact of individual WRs is very overrated and we should just draft more guys who fit our approach. Johnson is extremely highly paid and is trying to get out of the next *four years* of his contract. We don't need those problems.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only problem is that with Favre gone our certainty of playoffs no longer exists. If Favre hadn't retired yeah I'd say go get him, but now that he isn't I'd really like to see what A-Rod can do with what we have and not waste our picks

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Conjures up thoughts of draft day last year when TT thought he had Randy Moss coming to the Packers. We have the cap room but would it be worth it? It could be the step from making the Packers from a good team into a true contender by creating a more explosive offense. Who knows though.

Packers_Finland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chad is the best NFL Reciever near the sidelines. He's one of the best recievers period. And I don't think he'll be a cancer or a negative effect or anything, if he joined the Packers. He's just comical, and does nice endzone celebrations, what's wrong with those? Anyway, the only reason we shouldn't go for him is we don't need him. We already have one of the best WR corps.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you guys talk like wanting out of the Bengals organization is a BAD thing. It's full of criminals. Underachieving criminals.

I can understand it's not a need, but it would put our receiving group OVER THE TOP, which would help out Rodgers immensely.

I say sign him up, if possible.

Members online

Latest posts