Chad Clifton...sucks!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is Chad Clifton playing on the same level(sometimes worse) than our rookies on the 0-line?

Coming in, we were going to rely and not worry about our "great" tackles, and worry about the youth at guard, but...Clifton isn't playing well at all, and it makes me sad.

-Are his knees finally giving out?

-Is he not 'athletic' enough for this zone scheme?

-Is he just getting old(but he LOOKs so young!)?

Soon, Spitz or Moll or Colledge are going to perform better than he is and HE will be one of,if not THE, worst O-lineman on the team! That...is crazy! I would have never thought this would happen.

with that said, he has one of the top 5 highest contracts on our team. His contract is ours till 2009. What should we do?! Keep him, and hope his knee...gets better?lol. Do we try and trade him, and let Colledge\someone else come in? I don't like when our highest paid guys aren't doing their job (KGB,Woodson,Clifton)!

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
with that said, he has one of the top 5 highest contracts on our team. His contract is ours till 2009. What should we do?! Keep him, and hope his knee...gets better?lol. Do we try and trade him, and let Colledge\someone else come in? I don't like when our highest paid guys aren't doing their job (KGB,Woodson,Clifton)!

Maybe all the players should be paid the way the XFL did. Everyone made the same as everyone else at their position and then you could add incentives for exceptional performance. Wait -- that would make it too much like a job and not just a game. :roll:

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what we're seeing is that Clifton's success was a product of a system. Unfortunately, that was Sherman/Rossley's system.

I would say to trade a player in this situation, but I'm not convinced that this new system will be here for very long. If the Packers continue to play like they have been, TT & MM won't be here for long, at the very latest the end of next season. If that happens we may end up with a new HC & OC with a system that better fits guys like Clifton & Tauscher, both of which who'll be bargains at that point.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
False Start number 76, offense

I'm pretty sure I remember a holding call yesterday and also he got blown by Will Smith for a sack...Clifton was great though before signing that huge contract, hmm, never see that

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The holding call killed a drive.

Colledge was drafted to be his eventual replacement and putting Colledge at OG was to have him gain experience(but then the coach benched him).

Clifton's cap # is over 5 million this year and has 3 more years on contract. I think he is not fully recovered from surgeries but that does not explain the propensity for false start penalties.

My feeling is that he will get cut or renegotiated after 1 June 2008.
The Packers cannot afford a move before then. Just grin and bear it.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for the most part, i really you trom. and i think you are a pretty insightful guy. that being said, there is no way we can trade away someone who is significantly over payed. it's not that simple. if we can't afford him and he is not performing up to what is expected, oops... hindsight is 20/20. nobody is gonna take on a huge contract for a guy like that. same story with KGB. it's not as easy as just saying "trade him". there isn't a team out there that would bite on such an over hyped and overpaid player. your only hope is to get that player to renegotiate their contract.... yeah, right.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not saying trade him. im not saying cut him. I didnt even bring up re-negotiate, someone else did(the point of this thread).

im saying he isnt playing well, and what should we do?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom,

I don't get Clifton or most of the other veteran players on this team. We should be 1-1 right now and it's not that the rookies have failed misirably like many here feared. They have missed some plays and could obviously be more consistant which was all to be expected. Their play hasn't killed us and has actually held up fairly well early on this season.

The play of the veterans on this team has been a complete surprise and a major disappointment. What are these guys doing out there? Missing plays, dropping balls, blown coverages, penalties. Geezuz!

A. Green couldn't catch a cold Sunday and aside from Wells the other vets Clif, Taush, Bubba, played outright LOUSY.

When we need the vets to STEP UP and cover for the young guys until they hold their own we get them STEPPING BACK.

If I were Favre I would collectively call these guys together and tell them to get their f#@$@ing heads out of their butts.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Well, when (general manager) Ted (Thompson) and I first talked about the personnel of our football team," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said, "clearly, the veterans will decide a major part of how well we play."

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
I think what we're seeing is that Clifton's success was a product of a system. Unfortunately, that was Sherman/Rossley's system.

I would say to trade a player in this situation, but I'm not convinced that this new system will be here for very long. If the Packers continue to play like they have been, TT & MM won't be here for long, at the very latest the end of next season. If that happens we may end up with a new HC & OC with a system that better fits guys like Clifton & Tauscher, both of which who'll be bargains at that point.

I agree. Tauscher has played well so far this year and continues to prove why he's the best lineman on our team but Clifton has just been awful. Maybe it's his health or maybe your right. Whatever it is though if their is an example of why guys that are 330 don't fit in the zone scheme, Chad Clifton is the latest. In time though he has the brains and the skills to make the adjustment. It takes time. Hopefully he gets it. If he doesn't then Green Bay might have to make some moves. Like find a new LT and move Clifton to RT and move Tauscher inside to RG.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we should even be discussing dumping or moving Clifton until we find a replacement at LT. The biggest problem for the OL at the beginning of TC this year was that Clifton wasn't ready to play and there was no one to step in.

So far I do not know of anyone who would play better than him at LT. If someone steps up and outplays him at LT, then they should figure out what to do with his big contract. Until then we can only hope that he will pull it together and play better.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cliche' is teaching an old dog new tricks.

Tauscher and Clifton are new in this scheme or rookies to it. They not only have to learn the new system like the rookies but they have to unlearn much of their professional coaching.

PackFanInSC said:
Any of the backup DLs possibly going both ways?? Everyone else seems to be learning two jobs.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Why is Chad Clifton playing on the same level(sometimes worse) than our rookies on the 0-line?

Coming in, we were going to rely and not worry about our "great" tackles, and worry about the youth at guard, but...Clifton isn't playing well at all, and it makes me sad.

-Are his knees finally giving out?

-Is he not 'athletic' enough for this zone scheme?

-Is he just getting old(but he LOOKs so young!)?

Soon, Spitz or Moll or Colledge are going to perform better than he is and HE will be one of,if not THE, worst O-lineman on the team! That...is crazy! I would have never thought this would happen.

Chad Clifton.... does anyone else smell a false start??!!?

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:

Tauscher and Clifton are new in this scheme or rookies to it. They not only have to learn the new system like the rookies but they have to unlearn much of their professional coaching.

PackFanInSC said:
Any of the backup DLs possibly going both ways?? Everyone else seems to be learning two jobs.

Which brings me to ask...why did we switch to zone blocking anyway...so now we have to scout 3x as hard as before to find undersized linemen who are a step quicker...we go thru all that and our rushing attack is worse than last year

PACKmanN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:

[/quote]
Wasnt Tauscher in a ZBS in college for Wisconsin?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts