Cedric Benson: Will he be back?

Will Cedric the entertainer be back as a Packer

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got him cheap last year.
That's mostly because nobody else wanted him.
Seeing his season end after4+ games this season, that won't change (if logic applies), as he's not shown anything different, plus he's a year older.

So he will be able to be brought back cheaply if we want him.

Do you think he'll be a Packer again come training camp?

Lex Luger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not worth league mininum. He looked slow last year, and pure power running backs dont work in NFL anymore. Benson was never that fast and I dont see how that injury helps make him any faster. He's finished.

Dujuan Harris looked good, certainly good enough. We just need a RB who can stay healthy for a few seasons in a row and an offensive line that can actually move players around on defense. I'd honestly rather have Ryan Grant at this point. Both are old and washed up.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Benson's 40 time is in the 4.55 range or at least it used to be. Pretty equivalent to Marshaun Lynch (4.45) and better than Frank Gore's 4.6 speed. Power backs are not obsolete.

Cheesehead J

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Benson. I think that he played pretty good before he was injured. It seemed that him and a-rod were getting chemistry together also. a-rod seemed to really like him. He seemed to have a lot of 8-9 yard gains. Now with his age and injury I just dont know but he would be cheap again. I think his power with Harris speed they could be a nice 1-2 RB combo. Starks will be gone and I dont care for Green at all. One tap and hes down but he will be back. I see this as the lineup unless TT goes the draft route and gets a 1-2 round stud then Benson will be gone. Just have to wait and see.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't expect to see him back, I doubt we get a deal from him. He has better vision than Grant, but Grant pushes the pile better. Would rather use the DAM (Draft-A-Man)

Cheesehead J

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I would be fine with that too. I really like Lacy. Whatever Ted decides I trust him and the running game will be more improved then what we are used to.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main reason McCarthy finally pushed for Benson to be brought in last summer was because all his RB's were fragile and he was tired of them breaking down like pinto's. Benson was never great, but he was always very durable. So McCarthy said give me the guy who I can count on to be there for 16 weeks.

Remember he was running behind Saturday, who we now hear was a terrible run blocker.

But Benson was becoming a nice checkdown option for Rodgers. And Aaron liked him.... then of course, our luck kicked in and boom, first injury like that in Benson's career. For us.

I'm not sure what the vet minimum will be for him this year.
But if the team can save over a half-million on a younger guy in round 4, 5 that they like, I suspect they'll go that route because they have a lot of dollars needed to extend 12, 52. And they want to keep Finley. And they want to trim Woodson$ down a lot.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The main reason McCarthy finally pushed for Benson to be brought in last summer was because all his RB's were fragile and he was tired of them breaking down like pinto's. Benson was never great, but he was always very durable. So McCarthy said give me the guy who I can count on to be there for 16 weeks.

Remember he was running behind Saturday, who we now hear was a terrible run blocker.

But Benson was becoming a nice checkdown option for Rodgers. And Aaron liked him.... then of course, our luck kicked in and boom, first injury like that in Benson's career. For us.

I'm not sure what the vet minimum will be for him this year.
But if the team can save over a half-million on a younger guy in round 4, 5 that they like, I suspect they'll go that route because they have a lot of dollars needed to extend 12, 52. And they want to keep Finley. And they want to trim Woodson$ down a lot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/minimum-salaries-shoot-up-under-new-deal/

Posted by Mike Florio on July 25, 2011, 4:14 PM EST
The bad news for undrafted players is that they won’t be able to tell who’s interested in them as something more than camp fodder based on the signing bonus that a team offers.
The good news for undrafted players is that, if they make a team, they’ll make a lot more money.
The minimum salaries for NFL players have increased by $55,000 across the board. For 2011, that means rookies will get $375,000. Players with one year of service get $450,000. Two years of service will push the minimum to $525,000.
Players with three years of service will make a minimum of $600,000. For players with four to six years of service, the minimum salary is $685,000. Seven to nine, $810,000.
For players with 10 years or more of service, the minimum salary is $910,000.
The amounts increase $15,000 per year in each of the next four seasons.
It’s believed that the program previously employed by the NFL to allow teams to sign veterans to one-year deals at a reduced camp number will apply in the new CBA. If not, marginal veteran players could become far less attractive, given the $535,000 gap between the minimum pay for rookies and 10-year pros.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/07/2011-2014-nfl-minimum-base-salaries/

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So by that, it would appear the minimum Benson would make is $840k.
That's still not a ton, and probably no less than a 4th or 5th rd pick would make.

Reaction score
I'd like to see him come back - I read that he got most of his yards after contact (pro football focus) - that was with friggin' Saturday and Newhouse blocking for him.

Benson and Harris would be a nice combo - get 'em some Lineman that can pancake Defenses - spend our draft picks on Defense and other needs - get a franchise runningback in next year's draft.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saine was released today, not that it really changes Benson's chances to be back either way.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't expect to see any more of him in GB. I will be surprised if he plays again, actually.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/cedric-benson-to-meet-with-packers/

. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Benson is scheduled to go to Green Bay for a meeting with the Packers, the team he played five games with last season before a Lisfranc injury sent him to injured reserve.
Benson is reportedly getting close to 100 percent in his rehab from the foot injury so the timing of a visit to check in with his old team makes sense. There’s been plenty of speculation about the Packers taking a running back in the draft, particularly one who runs in the pounding style that Benson has favored over the course of his career. Signing him would eliminate that need and allow the Packers to focus on other areas.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember the Packers really liked Benson and thought he was starting to get into a groove.
I remember him becoming effective as a dump off pass guy on 2nd & 3rd downs.
He used to be durable, before putting on the Packers jersey.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If his foot is 100% he'll be on the team. I doubt his foot will be 100%.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If his foot is 100% he'll be on the team. I doubt his foot will be 100%.

This is the big hang up for me. I like him and Harris holding down the RB spot this year and drafting a guy high next year or grooming a guy we draft this year. But if that foot isnt healing right I dont want to touch another injury filled RB season with a 100 yd stick.