CB Patrick Lee from Scouts.inc

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grade: 84 (6-0, 200, 4.4 40)

Strengths: Has a lot of upside as a cover-2 corner and brings versatility on special teams. Is tall, well-built and strong for the position. Possesses good upper-body strength and is adept at pressing WR's at the line of scrimmage. Has quick feet and very good change-of-direction skills for his size. Is instinctive and shows good football intelligence. Supports the run hard and will sacrifice his body. Has great experience on special teams, having played on every unit at Auburn. Does an excellent job as a gunner and has some experience returning kicks. Is willing to contribute any way possible and is a hard worker. He has been durable throughout his career and does not come with any character baggage.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal experience. Only a first-year fulltime starter as a senior. Is quick and fast on a straight-line but has some stiffness in his hips and struggles to open up quickly enough versus speedy receivers on vertical routes. Will get in trouble if he doesn't get a good jam on quicker receivers at the line, as it takes him too long to transition. Footwork needs polishing, as do recognition skills in off-coverage. Gives a good effort versus the run but has some trouble shedding blocks and needs to wrap up in space more consistently.

Overall: Lee arrived at Auburn in 2003 and redshirted the year. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 37 games (nine starts) and had 48 tackles (one for a loss), one forced fumble, one interception and 10 pass breakups. He played in all 13 games (starting all but one) as a senior last season, recording 55 tackles (one for a loss), one forced fumble, four interceptions and 10 pass breakups. He also had 11 kickoff returns for 284 yards (25.8 average). Lee has the size, speed and toughness teams look for in a future starter but he is still a bit raw due to relative inexperience. He lacks ideal hip-fluidity, so he's better suited to play a zone-heavy scheme in the NFL. However, Lee brings an outstanding special teams' resume to the NFL and he should be able to contribute as a gunner  among other roles  early in his career while polishing his skills in coverage. Lee could eventually emerge as a great value from the 2008 draft, where he projects to go late on Day 1 or early on Day 2.

Reaction score
Love this pick, Lee will come in and replace Frank Walker as our gunner on ST.

Should also be in the mix for nickel CB, and at worse I see him being a dime back that does a better job than Walker did last year.

Also has KR/PR potential, which is an added bonus. Fits one of our needs very nicely.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mayock said he was one of the top press cover corners in the draft. Nice understudy for Harris.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fits the scheme well, but appears to have same deficiencies as Harris. I mean, Harris is a pro-bowler, but he suffers from the same problems as Lee.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Real good pick for the Packers.

You know his weaknesses? Not being able to play off coverage. :lol:

No worries in Green Bay. I think you line Lee up as the nickel back with Harris and Woodson as the starters and you got 3 guys who'll have know problems at all getting into the receivers face. Out of the 3 selections, I like Patrick Lee the best.

EDIT: All he did was play man to man at Auburn.

Draft Options

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again this is a good selection. The thing that concerns me the most is that his 1st yr or two he may get flagged a bit more than a more vetran CB would when he is in tight coverage. I hope that is not the case but rookies don't get the same breaks as Pro Bowl vetrans do.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Real good pick for the Packers.

You know his weaknesses? Not being able to play off coverage. :lol:

No worries in Green Bay. I think you line Lee up as the nickel back with Harris and Woodson as the starters and you got 3 guys who'll have know problems at all getting into the receivers face. Out of the 3 selections, I like Patrick Lee the best.

EDIT: All he did was play man to man at Auburn.

Draft Options

If this guy can immediately come in and do a better job at Nickel Back than our current "team" of NBs, then I'll think the same thing about our first 3 selections.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some video here on this guy, not much out there. the link is in this thread earlier. he only started 22 games but is an athlete.

Reaction score
he only started 22 games but is an athlete.

First year as a starter he had 20 deflected passes. That's crazy, the dude has serious skills and potential to develop yet.

Patrick Lee, the (unknown) son of Bruce Lee. I pretty much expect him to kung-pow any WR that gets too cocky and thinks they can school him.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny thing about this draft is that TT is planning for the future of the team, but in the meanwhile has been improving the special teams. A very good strategy which should pay off where these guys can contribute, but still take their time to learn the GB system.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me likey. I'm excited to see this kid ball it up.

...and is a hard worker. He has been durable throughout his career and does not come with any character baggage.

^^^^ Reminds me of a certain to-remain-unnamed-in-this-thread CB who used to play here.... except completely the opposite!!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny thing about this draft is that TT is planning for the future of the team, but in the meanwhile has been improving the special teams. A very good strategy which should pay off where these guys can contribute, but still take their time to learn the GB system.

I agree 100% TKT. I think ST is way truly the reason why we went 13-3 and not 10-6 last year. Very few NFL fans (surely none of whom post on this forum!) have any idea how important ST play is for the success of the team.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

I agree 100% TKT. I think ST is way truly the reason why we went 13-3 and not 10-6 last year. Very few NFL fans (surely none of whom post on this forum!) have any idea how important ST play is for the success of the team.

That's a rather pompous comment.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
TheKanataThrilla said:

didn't mean to offend. I was not referring to most of the packers fans on the site. on the contrary, i was mainly referring to the Vikings trolls who think that their team will win it all now because of the addition of Jared Allen, without regard for all the draft picks they gave up. quality ST players are vital to a team's success, but many people don't understand that, including the previous Packers GM. Sorry if that's pompous, but i think it's true.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
bozz_2006 said:
TheKanataThrilla said:

didn't mean to offend. I was not referring to most of the packers fans on the site. on the contrary, i was mainly referring to the Vikings trolls who think that their team will win it all now because of the addition of Jared Allen, without regard for all the draft picks they gave up. quality ST players are vital to a team's success, but many people don't understand that, including the previous Packers GM. Sorry if that's pompous, but i think it's true.

Well, giving STs a little credit, we would have started off 0-1 last year if it wasn't for being rescued by the STs.

Reaction score
Pack93z said:
PackOne said:
some video here on this guy, not much out there. the link is in this thread earlier. he only started 22 games but is an athlete.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fo...8/video/?c=Player&p=215788&s=3030302&i=274724

Just a fun little tidbit... Lee goes up against Jordy Nelson in one of those highlights.

Thanks for the heads-up.

In case people want to watch that clip, it's around the 1:05 minutes left mark in the video.

It kind of looks like Lee might have slapped Jordy's hand instead of the ball... possible uncalled penalty?

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once Cason was picked, the next CB on Ted's board had to be Lee.

Flowers may be a better corner, but Lee is a better fit for what defense scheme we want to run. I am still wondering if this defense scheme is the best one to use in GB. This year will definitely help determine that.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once Cason was picked, the next CB on Ted's board had to be Lee.

Flowers may be a better corner, but Lee is a better fit for what defense scheme we want to run. I am still wondering if this defense scheme is the best one to use in GB. This year will definitely help determine that.

I think the scheme is a perfect fit especially on the back end. I also think the Packers need to do a better job at blitzing the QB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts