Catching up with ... former Packer Reggie Love

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie Love's résumé continues to expand.

At 19 years old, he was a member of Duke's national championship basketball team. A year later, Love was a starting receiver on the Blue Devils' football team.

At 22, he had tryouts with the Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys.

At 24, he became a member of Illinois Sen. Barack Obama's team.

Although a career in the National Football League did not materialize for Love, the former Charlotte (N.C.) prep star seems to have found his niche in politics. But he still hasn't given up on his dream of playing professional football.

On Obama's campaign stop last weekend in Eau Claire, Love discussed his free-agent signing with the Packers in August 2004. Mike Sherman, then coach and general manager, brought the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Love into training camp to try out as a receiver.

"Being in Green Bay's camp was one of the best experiences I ever had," Love said Saturday afternoon after a rally of 3,400 Obama supporters at UW-Eau Claire's Zorn Arena.

"It definitely rekindled my love for the game. After coming from a program where we didn't win that often and where there wasn't a lot of respect given to the guys that played football, being part of the Packers and their tradition was one of my best football experiences ever.

"I was telling Barack just the other day that being a receiver for the Green Bay Packers would probably be one of the best jobs right now, with Brett Favre and all the talent on that team. And I said, 'No offense, sir.'

"And the senator goes, 'I wouldn't take any offense to that. Being a wide receiver for the Packers would be pretty cool.' "

Love is a personal aide to Obama, a Democratic presidential candidate and avid Chicago Bears fan.

Martin Hendricks

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are some very unflattering photos of a drunken Reggie Love at a UNC frat party that surface from time to time down here. It's part of the Dook vs. UNC rivalry.

Latest posts