WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carucci: 2006 Mock Draft

By Vic Carucci
National Editor, NFL.com

(April 26, 2006) -- One man's mock draft:

1. Houston: Reggie Bush, RB, USC
I do not buy any of the talk that the Texans are seriously considering passing on Bush in favor of North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams. There is a lot to like about Williams, but there isn't another player in this draft on a par with Bush. I also don't think the Texans are going to trade the choice. Bush is an incredibly rare talent who is capable of changing a game whenever he touches the ball as a runner or a receiver. The Texans might never get a chance to acquire a player of that caliber again, even if they own next year's top overall pick.

2. New Orleans: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
The Saints would love to deal this pick to a team, most likely the Oakland Raiders, that wants to land a quarterback, most likely Vince Young of Texas, and use a hefty bounty of extra picks to address multiple needs and perhaps make other deals. But if they stay put, the Saints' draft board figures to make Ferguson the logical choice. They don't need help on their defensive line, which eliminates Williams, but they could shore up an offensive line that lost center LeCharles Bentley and guard Kendyl Jacox. Ferguson would make any line instantly better, and is headed for a long and distinguished NFL career.

3. Tennessee: Matt Leinart, QB, USC
Speculation abounds that the Titans' decision-makers don't have a consensus on any of the quarterbacks of this draft, and that their offensive coordinator, Norm Chow, who formerly held the same post at USC, is the lone voice in the organization touting Leinart. If they don't go with Leinart or Young, Williams could end up being the perfect compromise pick and be a nice pass-rushing complement to Kyle Vanden Bosch. But the Titans need a franchise quarterback, and coming from the highly advanced Trojans passing game, Leinart is the best prepared to step in sooner and have long-term success. One could legitimately describe him as a left-handed Tom Brady -- a little limited when it comes to arm strength and mobility, but a smart and savvy player who knows how to win.

4. N.Y. Jets: Mario Williams, DE, N.C. State
With questions surrounding the health of Chad Pennington and the talent of Patrick Ramsey, the Jets need a quarterback. The one they would take in a heartbeat is Leinart, especially if new coach Eric Mangini, the former Patriots defensive coordinator, sees those Brady-like characteristics that many others do. If Leinart isn't available, Williams makes perfect sense as a perfect fit in Mangini's new 3-4 scheme. He is a pass-rushing terror who also is stout enough to stop the run.

5. Green Bay: Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
With Brett Favre planning to return for another season, the Packers need to give him the best pass-catching playmaker in the draft. Davis has an extraordinary combination of size, speed and power. True, the Packers already have a decent tight end in Bubba Franks, but he misses a lot of time with injuries.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm glad someone agrees with me, but this guy is a moron. Bubba has only ONE injury plagued season and that was last season. Spare last season Bubba has NEVER missed a game.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched an interview with Vernon on NFL Network, and lets just say he I didn't feel he is the most articulate fella in the world. He will be a tempting pick for Uncle Ted, but I'm starting to agree with the majority around here that Hawk is going to be our pick.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at the value vs. need thing...the Packers find both in A.J. Hawk. Unless someone steps up he's logical.

There's an old saw that a linebacker can't be drafted that high because he isn't an impact player. This guy could be an impact player, a starter from day one. I put him as the most likely guy.

The offense can go as is, especially if Walker is resigned...but..round two, look for TT to draft the best guard or center. If Nick Mangold is there, there's another player who could start this year at center.

I think the team will take Hawk(if Williams falls--not likely--he will be picked) but Hawk fills a need now, with equal value on the board. The stars are in alignment.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually really like the idea of drafting Davis. I think he'd open up a lot of options on offense for Franks, the RBs and WRs. He's the perfect player to keep defenses second guessing themselves.

That being said, I believe all of TT's offseason movements thusfar indicate he'll be drafting defense. The biggest FA signings have been focused on defense and it's fairly obvious TT is working to make that a strength of this team. If Williams is still there, he will be coming to GB. Otherwise I think Hawk will be picked, especially since Arrington won't be a Packer.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's upcoming decision just sucks for us fans. Everyone in here is making excellent points about why they want whichever guy. I flip flop daily on who we should thank. I think Thompson has it exponentially worse because he has a scouting staff telling him the strengths and weaknesses of all these players.

The guys I think we can cancel out are Huff and the two DT's. Yesterday's signings strengthened both postions. I don't think we are trading down anymore either, unless a trade proposal that can't be denied comes along. Hawk or Davis look like the pick right now! The funny thing is, the teams above us all have the similar problem of having multiple needs! It should make for an interesting first three hours. I'm stoked.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
however it pans out, this promises to be one of the most exciting first few hours in quite a few years. too bad i'm graduating from college this weekend and i have family coming to visit me. that equals out to me not being able to watch the draft. i really think we need to draft hawk. i think he is a field general, with that urlacher-esque never-say-die attitude. i think he'll make barnett a better player. he will be the face of the defense. that being said, i hope ted doesn't decide to draft davis in order to placate brett, even though i don't see that happening. the guy is an athletic freak, but he's an ogre. i think one of hawk's biggest strength, if not THE biggest, is his head. that guy's the whole package man, and since i'm beginning to get an ********, i shall now bow out of this conversation.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The no drafting linebackers early thing is probably going to go down the toilet for most nfl teams now. The last couple of rookie classes have shown that linebackers can have a very significant impact immediately.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont get the whole 'dont draft linebackers early' arguement when there's a similiar 'who drafts TE's early' arguement from me

unless its Kyle Brady, Rickey Dudley, Kellen Winslow

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a good pick. The Draft isn't about needs. You don't fulfill your needs through the Draft. You add depth and take the BPA with your first pick. Davis would be a great pick. Anytime you can add a one of a kind prospect you usually take him. Hawk isn't a one of a kind prospect. Davis is.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say AJ or Mario if either of them are avaliable. We need to address needs, so HAWK is my choice unless Mario is on the board.

If some bizarre situation has Mario and AJ off the board...I say Young. Vernon Davis would be a great pick up...but Fanks and Lee, please...that would be a wasted pick.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
god it's gonna be nice once the draft is over so we can start talking about something new. that being said, i hope we get hawk. dammit.

bsmith_501

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually dont think it would be a bad pick. We signed Woodson, along with Pickett and the other DT. Davis is tall, strong, fast, and can flat out catch the ball. I think he would help Favre out. Dont get me wrong, i love Bubba, but he's getting old and worn down. But then again i dont think offense is our big concern. So for me it is kind of a toss up.

Freeway3137

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Carucci: 2006 Mock Draft

By Vic Carucci
National Editor, NFL.com

(April 26, 2006) -- One man's mock draft:

1. Houston: Reggie Bush, RB, USC
I do not buy any of the talk that the Texans are seriously considering passing on Bush in favor of North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams. There is a lot to like about Williams, but there isn't another player in this draft on a par with Bush. I also don't think the Texans are going to trade the choice. Bush is an incredibly rare talent who is capable of changing a game whenever he touches the ball as a runner or a receiver. The Texans might never get a chance to acquire a player of that caliber again, even if they own next year's top overall pick.

2. New Orleans: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
The Saints would love to deal this pick to a team, most likely the Oakland Raiders, that wants to land a quarterback, most likely Vince Young of Texas, and use a hefty bounty of extra picks to address multiple needs and perhaps make other deals. But if they stay put, the Saints' draft board figures to make Ferguson the logical choice. They don't need help on their defensive line, which eliminates Williams, but they could shore up an offensive line that lost center LeCharles Bentley and guard Kendyl Jacox. Ferguson would make any line instantly better, and is headed for a long and distinguished NFL career.

3. Tennessee: Matt Leinart, QB, USC
Speculation abounds that the Titans' decision-makers don't have a consensus on any of the quarterbacks of this draft, and that their offensive coordinator, Norm Chow, who formerly held the same post at USC, is the lone voice in the organization touting Leinart. If they don't go with Leinart or Young, Williams could end up being the perfect compromise pick and be a nice pass-rushing complement to Kyle Vanden Bosch. But the Titans need a franchise quarterback, and coming from the highly advanced Trojans passing game, Leinart is the best prepared to step in sooner and have long-term success. One could legitimately describe him as a left-handed Tom Brady -- a little limited when it comes to arm strength and mobility, but a smart and savvy player who knows how to win.

4. N.Y. Jets: Mario Williams, DE, N.C. State
With questions surrounding the health of Chad Pennington and the talent of Patrick Ramsey, the Jets need a quarterback. The one they would take in a heartbeat is Leinart, especially if new coach Eric Mangini, the former Patriots defensive coordinator, sees those Brady-like characteristics that many others do. If Leinart isn't available, Williams makes perfect sense as a perfect fit in Mangini's new 3-4 scheme. He is a pass-rushing terror who also is stout enough to stop the run.

5. Green Bay: Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
With Brett Favre planning to return for another season, the Packers need to give him the best pass-catching playmaker in the draft. Davis has an extraordinary combination of size, speed and power. True, the Packers already have a decent tight end in Bubba Franks, but he misses a lot of time with injuries.

ye but on the ESPN special today, they had the Pack choosing AJ HAWK so u neve know

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts