Carroll vs. Thomas

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was one of a majority of fans who thought Joey Thomas should've started instead of Ahmad Carroll in the first game. As expected, Carroll stank up the place with penalties. So Thomas got his chance to start against the Browns, but he was not exactly a world-beater either. He quickly collected a penalty and later got burned for an 80-yard TD.

So who should start against the Bucs on Sunday? I'm sticking with Thomas. Consider that Carroll has started a bunch of games now, and has continued to make the same mistakes over and over. He has become a marked man for the officials because of his "grabby" technique. We can complain all we want about the officials, but this is reality, and it cannot be changed.

Thomas was starting his first NFL game against the Browns, so he was bound to make some mistakes. Although he did get burned by Braylon Edwards on that long TD, it would have only been a 10 or 15 yard gain if Nick Collins had been doing his job instead of selling out on the run.

So after giving Carroll about a dozen chances to prove himself, with little success, it's only fair that the coaches give Thomas more than one chance.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The thing I like about Carroll is his raw speed. Too bad he can't use that to his advantage though. I don't know who to start anymore. I was not impressed one bit with Thomas, not at all.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither one of those guys has the type of technique to be successful. They get caught on penalties because their technique is bad. Seriosly, I doubt that either of those two guys will be with the team in two years.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll. He has the talent needed and Thomas possibly cost the Packers the game. He held Rogers to one catch last week and got screwed on a couple very questionable penalties. The penalties by him do need to stop though and if they don't then he should be benched. I think he is probably aware now that he has that reputation and will try to be more cautious, hopefully not so cautious that he doesnt try to be physical at the line, but enough that he doesn't get penalties. I never saw Thomas try to jam a reciever like Carroll does and that is really important.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahmad Carroll is a stud! I wish we had 2 or 3 of him to play for us!

j/k we should make a trade with someone and get a decent CB in return. Trade Carroll and a draft pick for a decent CB.

Or since Earl Little wants to start so bad maybe he could play CB. :idea:

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget both of them. Hawkins will seize this job before the end of the season.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seemed to me that Carroll usually stays with the receiver pretty well, but he can't keep his hands to himself. I haven't seen Carroll get beat as bad as Thomas did the other day though.

I remember seeing Harris get smoked just as bad as Thomas in a preseason game, and Harris was just lucky the receiver dropped the ball. So I don't want to give up on Thomas after one bad play, because veterans like Harris have gotten burnt at times too.

But I really don't know which one should start. I haven't seen enough of Thomas to know if he gets beat often in practice, or if he just had one bad play the other day. I sure hope 1 of the 2 can step up and take the job by the throat though.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd go with Carroll at the moment, he seems to be doing allright as a cover corner (wow, never thought I'd be able to say that after last season!)...But I'd put him on an "illegal hands to the face" flag count...2 and your replaced, out there.

Yeah, Hawkins really needs to be tested. Hey the kids talented and quick...Yeah-yeah, we know he's "raw", but take a shot at maybe catching a solution with this kid.

I've always said, I wish NFL teams would be willing to go against the book sometimes...

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think talent wise Carroll is the obvious choice as long as he knows that he is on thin ice with the penalties and that he will be pulled if he keeps it up. I think he should have been pulled from starter during the first game because it would of had more of an effect than not starting him the next game. I think he has to start but he keeps the penalty crap up, don't hesitate to pull him.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm anti-Carroll about as much as anyone, but the thing EVERYONE (fans, media, etc.) seems to continue to completely ignore is the fact that Carroll's penalties in the Detroit game were a load of crap. There was ONE that was legitimate, but the others were really bad calls. To the point where it was blatantly obvious that the refs had it out for him (IMO). Especially the one where Mike Williams (a rookie in his first game) pushed Carroll's hands up (at the line) and not only did that cause Carroll's hands to go up, but Williams even had his hands in Carroll's face! Now, whether you want to argue that we can't afford to have Carroll in there because the refs have it out for him, and whether or not he actually is guilty, is one thing. But, if I was the Packer Brass I'd have been on the horn the second the game ended (or as soon as they verified the calls were horrible by watching video) complaining to league officials to call the g&%d*mn game fair instead of trying to teach someone a "lesson".

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
recte44 said:
Forget both of them. Hawkins will seize this job before the end of the season.

That'd be cool. I'd like to see him have a shot.

I have been telling this since they drafted this guy,,, He will be the starter by seasons end !!!!

Anyway maybe next year we could use our 1st draft pick to get some serious defensive help,,, or maybe trade that one to get a couple of defensive players, because noone could think to use a first or second averall draft pick, maybe if we get lucky minny will get th 1st and we will get the 3rd or 4th overall, on a defensive player !!!! :twisted: :wink:

I am happy today for other reasons,, so lets see it this way foot ball us just a game and we are playing bad,,, so what???

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PACKERS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Thomas did a nice job of tackling Sunday. Yeah, he got burned big time on that big play was where was the safety help? I think it was a lack of someone not knowing their assignment more than anything. Thomas needs to keep starting.

Members online

Latest posts