Cardinals releasing safety Tyrann Mathieu

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could he moved to CB? Oh Susanna why don't you sign him.. If he is too rich for AZ he is too rich for GB... But a man can dream.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we fine at safety, if we lose Burnett? I know we have Haha and Jones, but..........now I'm all for drafting Derwin James.

Without Burnett Packers still have same problem. Haha and Jones are both better as strong safeties. If you draft James you then have 3 guys who are best in the same spot. I'd prefer a guy like Justin Reid or Jesse Bates in the 2nd/3rd round. Or even Fitzpatrick at #14. Pettines system is single high safety heavy apparently. Those 3 guys could excel in that role. Maybe Jones can but haha has proven he cant

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I know in the past Mathieu played quite a bit of slot corner, which the Packers could certainly use. He has the movement skills to do it (or *had* at least-- not sure how injuries have effected him there). But I don't know how much he's done that lately. Signing him would be a major departure from the Packers' traditional insistence on height/length at the position. I personally think that the insistence on tall/long corners is idiotic. You can fine a ton of great shorter corners in this league.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Heard on the radio he is due 18 million this year and didn't want the pay cut

It could be that he wanted them to cut him so he could play elsewhere. It's a new regime with a new defense and probably a rebuild in Arizona. I'm guessing he liked the idea of catching on with a contender that runs a system better suited to his skillset.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we fine at safety, if we lose Burnett? I know we have Haha and Jones, but..........now I'm all for drafting Derwin James.
I think we are. A football friend of mine is a huge Brice fan. This guy knows football. I think we are biggest issue with the secondary was coaching. I trust that matter is resolved with Pettine. We have 3 talented safeties. We need more help at CB, WR, and Edge. Let' focus any $ left on those areas.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Brice, I think he can cover a lot of ground and put a bit in people, but so far his body hasn't held up to his style of play. Not sure if it was just bad luck or if that's how it's going to be. I would like to see him stay healthy, I think he'll surprise some people back there

D

Deleted member 6794

If they are dumping him, they must have a very good reason. We are fine at safety.

I'm not absolutely convinced the Packers are set at safety with Clinton-Dix regressing last season and Jones struggling big time occasionally during his rookie campaign. With that being said the team shouldn't spend crazy money on Mathieu.

Without Burnett Packers still have same problem. Haha and Jones are both better as strong safeties. If you draft James you then have 3 guys who are best in the same spot. I'd prefer a guy like Justin Reid or Jesse Bates in the 2nd/3rd round. Or even Fitzpatrick at #14. Pettines system is single high safety heavy apparently. Those 3 guys could excel in that role. Maybe Jones can but haha has proven he cant

Clinton-Dix is definitely capable of playing single high safety when he's on top of his game. Unfortunately that hasn't been true for last season.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Love honeybadger, but he’s going to get PAID. He’s nothing worth the money he would get for a team that is pretty deep at the position.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Love honeybadger, but he’s going to get PAID. He’s nothing worth the money he would get for a team that is pretty deep at the position.

Per PFF, Mathieu played about 65% of his snaps last season at slot corner (not safety). His 91 pass rating allowed was about average, and was a bad season by his standards. If the Packers view him as a slot corner, he would make sense.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Per PFF, Mathieu played about 65% of his snaps last season at slot corner (not safety). His 91 pass rating allowed was about average, and was a bad season by his standards. If the Packers view him as a slot corner, he would make sense.
Interesting might be a good fit after all, though the money he is looking for would likely require us to dump someone else.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not absolutely convinced the Packers are set at safety with Clinton-Dix regressing last season and Jones struggling big time occasionally during his rookie campaign. With that being said the team shouldn't spend crazy money on Mathieu.

Clinton-Dix is definitely capable of playing single high safety when he's on top of his game. Unfortunately that hasn't been true for last season.
But the talent is there. Haha played well 2 years ago. Why did he regress? Why did Hyde and Hayward regress, only to play well after they left)? Why did Rollins and Randall both regress? I think the pattern is obvious and consistent. Either the DBs are all eating at the same place and there is something in the food, or the coaching was less than what it should be.

D

Deleted member 6794

But the talent is there. Haha played well 2 years ago. Why did he regress? Why did Hyde and Hayward regress, only to play well after they left)? Why did Rollins and Randall both regress? I think the pattern is obvious and consistent. Either the DBs are all eating at the same place and there is something in the food, or the coaching was less than what it should be.

Capers was the defensive coordinator for all of the seasons the defensive backs you mentioned performed at an adequate level though as well.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting might be a good fit after all, though the money he is looking for would likely require us to dump someone else.
look at size and speed..

you want him to cover Dez? Or anyone like that?

we shouldn't take him. need a TRUE corner

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers was the defensive coordinator for all of the seasons the defensive backs you mentioned performed at an adequate level though as well.
I know. That is important to what I am saying. He coaches them as rookies and as 2nd, 3rd and fourth year players. They look good early, so we know the talent is there.

He teaches, treats or utilizes rookies differently than 2nd or 3rd year players. When most of his secondary players go through this, it' not players it's coaching. I don't know exactly what it is, but it seems obvious to me. I'm interested in other theories. Blaming TT for drafting players who peak as rookies and then decline does not seem very likely.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Last year Dix was bad. Year before, he was pretty damn good playing single-high.

Now let me tell y'all something...you don't fluke your way into playing well for a year. Maybe a game or two, but not a year. Doesn't happen. Dix should have given a lot more effort, but Capers did not help him out AT ALL. He's going to be just fine playing single high. You don't want Dix in the box, unless you're Timberlake.

Members online

Latest posts