Cardinals 20 Packers 13...no, it really happened!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been VERY critical of the Packers thus far, so I thought I'd throw in some optimism.

2003, the Packers start the season 1-2 after losing to Jeff Blake and the lowly Cards, and getting out rushed and passed in the process. Tough games ahead vs. the undefeated Chiefs and in St. Louis put the Packers down 3-4.

The Packers later turned things around and fielded a team that many of us feel had the best shot at the SB since '97 after outplaying, yet losing to, the Eagles in the divisional playoff game.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outplaying and losing due to very bad coaching, why didnt we go for the fourth and 6 inches and that would have been the end of it we had a much better O Line than their D line, and if we havent got it they would have been in their 30th yard line, no instead we panic, we send Bidwell and then they went for 4 and 278769 yards and 3 inches and beat our butts in over time.....

Please dont keep reminding me of those moments musccy, I have tried to support Sherman but I really cant anymore....

Please throw some optimism How about the Ice Bowl ?? How about any of Lombardis moments? How about the first Lambeau leap? the about the Majik man magical moments? How about Whit + Brett + Holmgreen Superbowl?

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
Outplaying and losing due to very bad coaching, why didnt we go for the fourth and 6 inches and that would have been the end of it we had a much better O Line than their D line, and if we havent got it they would have been in their 30th yard line, no instead we panic, we send Bidwell and then they went for 4 and 278769 yards and 3 inches and beat our butts in over time.....

Please dont keep reminding me of those moments musccy, I have tried to support Sherman but I really cant anymore....

Please throw some optimism How about the Ice Bowl ?? How about any of Lombardis moments? How about the first Lambeau leap? the about the Majik man magical moments? How about Whit + Brett + Holmgreen Superbowl?

I'm not bringing up Majik man and the icebowl because they aren't relevant...the cards game was just 2 yrs. ago. The Packers screwed themselves over on Sun (no hurry up) just as they did vs. the Cards...they looked just as ugly, and were equally embarassed.

Things looked just as bleak and dismal 2 yrs. ago...most of us had thrown in the towel and all of these "at least we'll get the #1 pick" posts dominated the boards. Will this year's team turn it around? I don't know, but recent history has shown it that it will happen. (2000, 2003, 2004)

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
But what kind of fans would we be if we didn't discuss the games?

Well, it's one thing to discuss games, but it's another to constantly trash Sherman and spell gloom and doom right off the bat (not pointing fingers).

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
after outplaying, yet losing to, the Eagles in the divisional playoff game.

you try optimism, but after that line i leave this thread with a sad face...

"IT'S FOURTH AND LESS THAN A YARD WHY ARE YOU SENDING IN BIDWELL"

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
musccy said:

A previous 4th and 1 failed, and if MS decides to go for it, and the Packers not only fail to convert a second time, but in doing so, give the almost hopeless Eagles the ball on the ~40, imagine the heat he justifiably would have received. Had it not been for Barnett and Sharper being out of position on the infamous 4th and 26, we aren't debating whether or not he should have gone for it.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
JavonWalker084 said:
musccy said:

because, if I'm not mistaken, a previous 4th and 1 failed, and punting and giving the ball to the eagles around the 10 (hopefully) is better than giving it to them at the ~40 if you fail to convert.

that was a 4th and goal from the 2 while we were up 14-0, a field goal couldve put us up three scores

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're talking out of both sides of your mouth...You're criticizing MS because he went for the kill early in the game, and then you criticizing him because he didn't go for the kill later. Damned if MS does, damned if he doesn't

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
you're talking out of both sides of your mouth...You're criticizing MS because he went for the kill early in the game, and then you criticizing him because he didn't go for the kill later. Damned if MS does, damned if he doesn't

"1-14-04: NEVER FORGET"

yes you're damned if the packers lose and i get to get harassed to no end by eagles fans...that was the high-watermark for sherman's coaching tenure and nothing short of a super bowl will ever allow me to forgive him

yes you take the field goal to go up three scores on a not very explosive eagle offense.

yes you go for the kill 4th and inch on the 39, considering that bidwells punt sailed thru the uprights, netting 19 yards...and considering you were stupid enough to run favre on a naked bootleg on 3rd and 5, your 1,800+ yard running back got ZERO touches on two plays that could've put away those damn eagles

4th and 26 or Favre's pick in OT don't bother me because we never should've reached that point in the game...

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just said the eagles offense was not very explosive. If that's the case, why would you take the chance of shortening the field for them if the 4-1 doesn't work? If their offense isn't very good, then it would appear that you're playing the odds by putting the game in their hands to drive the field.

I'm not saying Sherman doesn't make mistakes...I agree w/ what you say about Green, I'll also point out that it was stupid of the Packers not to have kicked the fg w/ about 25 sec. to go on Sunday, thus giving them more of a shot in the event that the ensuing onside would work...yes, he screws up.

However, I disagree w/ a lot of the justification used when calling for his head. If you go by the book, in that Eagles game, Sherman should have been kicking the fg AND punting on the latter. However, since people aren't satisfied w/ the result, they use the benefits of hindsight to unfairly tear him down (meaning, it's a lot easier to say it was stupid to punt when you now know the end result)

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
You just said the eagles offense was not very explosive. If that's the case, why would you take the chance of shortening the field for them if the 4-1 doesn't work? If their offense isn't very good, then it would appear that you're playing the odds by putting the game in their hands to drive the field.

I'm not saying Sherman doesn't make mistakes...I agree w/ what you say about Green, I'll also point out that it was stupid of the Packers not to have kicked the fg w/ about 25 sec. to go on Sunday, thus giving them more of a shot in the event that the ensuing onside would work...yes, he screws up.

However, I disagree w/ a lot of the justification used when calling for his head. If you go by the book, in that Eagles game, Sherman should have been kicking the fg AND punting on the latter. However, since people aren't satisfied w/ the result, they use the benefits of hindsight to unfairly tear him down (meaning, it's a lot easier to say it was stupid to punt when you now know the end result)

its cool, i expected a lot of feedback for my opinions about this game...living in eagle territory, that game meant so much more to me than anyone could imagine...it does seem like i just contradict sherman's every move (should've kicked when you ran, should've ran when you kicked)...but here's my rationale...

the goal line stand was, i'm guessing sometime before the half, i know the packers were still up at that point, 14-0 i think...this is philadelphia, they want to win and nothing else (any city does but...) the eagle fans are the most rabid when they're ahead, and the most ready to bury the team when they're losing. We're winning by a sizeable amount in their barn, and I've seen instances like this before, you can not give a struggling team's fans motivation to get back in the game...stuffed on 4th and goal, here come the fans and here come the eagles...instead i kick it and go up 17-0, another commercial break, more boo's...bottom line, the goal line stand kickstarted the eagle rally

on the other hand, 4th and short on the eagles' 39...its different from the earlier situation because the pro's outweigh the cons...you're headed to carolina if you as much as lean forward..."you dance with the girl that brought you" is the expression you hear throughout sports, and did smash mouth football get you there, or did your punting game and ed donatell's band of merry men? at home play for the tie, on the road play for the win...another adage that seems like a cleshea most of the time, but held true on that day

and to respond to the arguement..."they stopped us once they'll stop us again"...it was the fourth quarter, after we had amassed some 200+ yards on the eagle defense, they're tired, we're running downhill on these guys at this point. Yes they stopped us on the goal line but with more territory to cover they would have to loosen up and respect Favre's playaction capability to an extent and also the possibility of favre trying to draw us offside, or just taking the delay of game penalty and forcing bidwell to kcik the ball further to reach the goal line on a punt

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You may disagree w/ me on this, but I don't think there were obvious choices on how to handle the 4th and 1s in that game. Although ultimately I disagree w/ you, I certainly think both TOpf and your points are valid! For this reason, I get a little irked when ppl use these specific situations to criticize MS because if Bidwell lands the punt on the 5, or if the Pack score a TD, I doubt many ppl, including us, would be criticizing MS over his 4th and 1 calls...meaning ppl are more upset w/ the result than they are w/ the decision.

However, that's not to say I don't think MS didn't make some poor decisions in that game...you referenced a few good points (not utilizing Green).

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
2003, the Packers start the season 1-2 after losing to Jeff Blake and the lowly Cards, and getting out rushed and passed in the process..

I was at that game, and I still can't believe we lost it. :(

Hopefully the Packers can rebound this year too like they did then, but a lot of young guys will have to develop fast in order for that to happen because the schedule only gets tougher.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts