Capers vs Pettine

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw the same article and wasn't that surprised. I have said before that stats don't always tell the whole story but in this case, they may.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How bout cutting dead weight and stop playing zone defense.

Every team plays zone defense. Some play more man than others, but you can't play exclusively man. You'd get consistently destroyed by crossing routes and slants.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Iwas starting to think that my own eyes were failing me - that this defense was stellar and I wasn't seeing it.

...anyway, it has to be fixed. There are people who really and truly believe that Brett Favre's and Aaron Rodgers' careers were wasted because Ron and Ted didn't give Brett and Aaron enough "weapons". In my book, they didn't provide enough defensive weapons to win games. Just my personal opinion.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Iwas starting to think that my own eyes were failing me - that this defense was stellar and I wasn't seeing it.

...anyway, it has to be fixed. There are people who really and truly believe that Brett Favre's and Aaron Rodgers' careers were wasted because Ron and Ted didn't give Brett and Aaron enough "weapons". In my book, they didn't provide enough defensive weapons to win games. Just my personal opinion.

Both can be true. Thompson invested plenty of picks into the defense after the SB win. On the flip side the offense was damn near completely put on the back burner due to the constant whiffs on the defense year after year. It was bound to catch up to us eventually

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Jesus.....do people NEED to find something to ***** about around here ?? Yes we need to improve but please do we HAVE to find negative **** to moan about all the ****ing time ? If we were the Browns then yes but we aren`t, we`re the damn Packers......smh

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gave up 13 points and people still *****ing about defense. This team is not perfect. News ****ing flash. They weren't to start the year, they aren't now. Half you ****ing jokers didn't think this team would be .500 and you complain louder and louder with every win. Nothing kills your Shoutbox circle jerk like a Packer victory, but you can bet your hot crossed buns you'll be back next week the first time they give up a pass to a TE. LOL

You know who gave up more points to the Giants this year? Every single team they've played this besides the Vikings. Cowboys, Patriots, Bills, Bears, etc, etc. all gave up more points that out ****** *** defense.

They're not a perfect team, we get it. But seriously, if all you have is gloom and doom after every single effing play that isn't complete Packer domination, kindly ****? I mean it in the nicest way possible. It's almost insanely funny how you can predict who's showing up and when after any number of plays. By the same token, they're rather predictable as to when they'll disappear too.

We'll likely not win a super bowl this year. and i'm sure they'll all be here to tell us how they "told us so" LOL If you can't enjoy a game, go find something else. Seriously, your wife, kids, packer nation, co-workers etc will thank you.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gave up 13 points and people still *****ing about defense. This team is not perfect. News ******* flash. They weren't to start the year, they aren't now. Half you ******* jokers didn't think this team would be .500 and you complain louder and louder with every win. Nothing kills your Shoutbox circle jerk like a Packer victory, but you can bet your hot crossed buns you'll be back next week the first time they give up a pass to a TE. LOL

You know who gave up more points to the Giants this year? Every single team they've played this besides the Vikings. Cowboys, Patriots, Bills, Bears, etc, etc. all gave up more points that out ****** *** defense.

They're not a perfect team, we get it. But seriously, if all you have is gloom and doom after every single effing play that isn't complete Packer domination, kindly ****? I mean it in the nicest way possible. It's almost insanely funny how you can predict who's showing up and when after any number of plays. By the same token, they're rather predictable as to when they'll disappear too.

We'll likely not win a super bowl this year. and i'm sure they'll all be here to tell us how they "told us so" LOL If you can't enjoy a game, go find something else. Seriously, your wife, kids, packer nation, co-workers etc will thank you.

I would love it if everyone who is *****ing about the team would honestly tell us if they felt this was a SB caliber team before the season started! I for one am pleasantly surprised by how well we are doing with a new offensive scheme and HC. We need another good WR opposite Adams and a TE who can run and catch. We have a young secondary so it seems a lot of the issues back there are communication problems. We also need an ILB who can actually cover a TE. After this season's success I have a feeling 2020 will be even better. :D

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The phrase "red zone" is absent from this article. To belabor the point:

Defensive Red Zone TD %:

2017, Capers, 65.2%
2018, Pettine, 60.7%
2019, Pettine, 47.5%

I've been happy with Pettine honestly.

I think a lot of what the article points out though is that Capers did a pretty damn good job for a while when he was here

Was it similar to TT when he started to suck balls at his job towards the end of his tenure in Green Bay?? Sure.

But Capers did a pretty good job for the "most" part. I think people should appreciate what they have had before and stop being so quick to jump to the "next thing" so often.

I have liked the way that Clark, King, Jaire, Savage, and both Smiths have played with Pettine so far.

I am confident (and hopeful) that Pettine can turn Savage into the next Nic Collins, high hopes I know...

But let's not discredit and say that Capers' entire tenure in Green Bay was all just crap...because he had some pretty damn good moments here

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the first time in a long time, I feel like the Packers can honestly concentrate on restocking the offense next season. We've been pretty lucky with the approach of drafting three low round RBs or three low round WRs and seeing if one of them sticks. Now it's time to ante up for TE, WR, and OT in the draft. We have needs such as ILB on defense but the needs on offense finally outweigh the needs on defense in my opinion.

Pettine is about as good as Capers was early on. That 2010 defense was a big part of winning the trophy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've been happy with Pettine honestly.

I think a lot of what the article points out though is that Capers did a pretty damn good job for a while when he was here

Was it similar to TT when he started to suck balls at his job towards the end of his tenure in Green Bay?? Sure.

But Capers did a pretty good job for the "most" part. I think people should appreciate what they have had before and stop being so quick to jump to the "next thing" so often.

I have liked the way that Clark, King, Jaire, Savage, and both Smiths have played with Pettine so far.

I am confident (and hopeful) that Pettine can turn Savage into the next Nic Collins, high hopes I know...

But let's not discredit and say that Capers' entire tenure in Green Bay was all just crap...because he had some pretty damn good moments here

Capers did a great job during his first two years with the Packers but the defense regressed significantly thereafter.

For the first time in a long time, I feel like the Packers can honestly concentrate on restocking the offense next season. We've been pretty lucky with the approach of drafting three low round RBs or three low round WRs and seeing if one of them sticks. Now it's time to ante up for TE, WR, and OT in the draft. We have needs such as ILB on defense but the needs on offense finally outweigh the needs on defense in my opinion.

Pettine is about as good as Capers was early on. That 2010 defense was a big part of winning the trophy.

The current Packers defense is nowhere near as good as the one the team featured in 2010.

Members online

Latest posts