Capers go heavy up front due to lack of CB depth?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since our CBs are all busted up. Could Capers move to a heavy Defensive front, and a lot of blitzing LBs? I mean we don't really have much choice if Randall and Rollins are not able to play. Rollins was rushed to hospital... Not good. Dorleant out as well. We basicly have to the Gunter and Hyde as the CBs if everyones hurt....

Capers always seems to play to his players strengths when he is lacking in talent. You might see some crazy schemes, but he will get his productive players out there...

What we do have is great safetys. Peppers, Mathews,Perry are Impact guys. Both the young ILBs are back making plays. We have a solid corps of Dlinemen who can really get push.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Burnett seems to be a decent CB. Hyde was a CB and is again. Saw Evans on the field as well as Brice. Also noticed Clay dropping into coverage in the middle of the field late in the game. A heavy front will put slow young defenders man on man against Odell and Cruz. You really want that?

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
The Packers will probably go Hybrid with Dbacks I'm hoping this can confused teams or even scare them into changing there game plans to favor us

H

HardRightEdge

Burnett seems to be a decent CB. Hyde was a CB and is again. Saw Evans on the field as well as Brice. Also noticed Clay dropping into coverage in the middle of the field late in the game. A heavy front will put slow young defenders man on man against Odell and Cruz. You really want that?
The Packers prefer fixed corners left and right and don't try to match up. This has been the case for a couple of years.

I would prefer the Packers break form and put Gunter on "Don't Touch Me!" Beckham in press coverage with top side help. Ride him off the snap (a Gunter specialty), push him around, get him frustrated. Cruz is not the player he was before the nearly 2 years on IR...still a decent player but not the threat he once was. He was shut out in the first meeting with most of the credit going to Hyde. If Hyde has to play outside, then Burnett likely gets the call on Cruz. Shepard looks like a pretty good ballplayer, I wouldn't go to sleep on him.

But despite a decent collection of weapons, the Giants offense has looked bad having watched them the last 2 weeks. The have not scored more than 19 points in any of the last 5 games. The running game is weak, the O-Line is shaky, Eli's running cold, and Beckham, not to put too fine a point on it, is a distraction.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Here is the crazy thing and I put the blame on TT for this. Look at our PS. Herb Waters, a converted WR, who is most likely a project at CB is the only CB on the PS. With the way injuries were decimating that position, wouldn't you think TT would have gone out and found one or two a month ago?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Herb is just the next UM UDFA that will thrive as a CB for the pack. Shields was a WR at The U initially.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the crazy thing and I put the blame on TT for this. Look at our PS. Herb Waters, a converted WR, who is most likely a project at CB is the only CB on the PS. With the way injuries were decimating that position, wouldn't you think TT would have gone out and found one or two a month ago?
the same old dead tires that have been kicked so many times even they don't want to be kicked anymore were the only ones available a month ago, and the only ones available now.

and if we have more go on IR then I'm sure he'll put one there and pick up something to fill a space. But without a roster spot empty, even as poorly as our inured Db's have played at times, they've also shown they have skills in the past 2 years and with experience and health, there's good reason to believe they'll get better. But we should cut one of them for a guy they, and the rest of the league already knows has nothing left to offer?

Sky King

Reaction score
After watching the wounded Randall and Rollins struggle mightily yesterday and in previous games I have to wonder whether they might actually be better off with a couple of green but healthy UDFAs. As bad as things have gotten at CB it's bothersome that they haven't given Josh Hawkins more playing time after his bad showing earlier this season. He must really be in the dog house. That, or he's even worse playing healthy than Randall and Rollins have been playing at their injured worst.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
the same old dead tires that have been kicked so many times even they don't want to be kicked anymore were the only ones available a month ago, and the only ones available now.

and if we have more go on IR then I'm sure he'll put one there and pick up something to fill a space. But without a roster spot empty, even as poorly as our inured Db's have played at times, they've also shown they have skills in the past 2 years and with experience and health, there's good reason to believe they'll get better. But we should cut one of them for a guy they, and the rest of the league already knows has nothing left to offer?

I was referring to having at least one capable CB on the Practice Squad. A guy who has been practicing with the team and learning Capers system. Now maybe Waters is THAT guy, but given that he was a WR up until a few months ago, it would shock me to see him activated and playing.

I wasn't trying to imply that there is a top notch CB sitting in the weeds waiting, but given the injuries and poor play at the position this year, as well as how banged up Randall has been playing, I would have been a lot more comfortable seeing some depth at the position.

Guess we will wait and see how the injuries play out and the corresponding moves.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'll bet that dead horse is glad that it's dead tires we're kicking, now. :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there probably are some guys on some other guys PS they could try and get. But now we're talking about taking an active Roster spot, not the practice squad in terms of roster moves.

at this point in the season, i think we just go with who we have and adjust the best we can.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts