Cap Space

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
So, I made this in response to a post that just got deleted before I hit submit. But I think it is an interesting topic for debate"

I have a feeling there's more to our cap space then we know. With the CBA possibly expiring soon, I could see the board of directors wanting the organization to be conservative with their spending in order for the organization to remain financially stable when and if there is no salary cap. It's going to be awful hard for Green Bay to compete with the likes of Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys in spending.

But you know, or, we could just put all the blame on Ted. Whatever works.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Can I chime in here..if your talking about competing financially then TT approach is sound as he hangs on for cap dollars and then signs are top guys in the next two years long term.
By having a young team..the youngest he is locking up that talent long term to try and keep us competitive in the long term. Will this work...maybe or maybe not.
I agree this is an interesting debate on a dollars and cents level but predicting how we can compete or if that many years out is a guess at best.

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Reaction score
I certainly wasn't slamming Thompson's management of the cap at all. I'm simply saying there are many who do and probably don't even know half the story.

I think the board of directors wants Ted to be SOMEWHAT conservative with the cap space so that Green Bay can compete financially for years to come, even without the existence of a CBA.

wizard 87

Reaction score
that statement would be correct. I think this board tends to be conservative by nature..there all bankers etc.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there any other team thats saving this much $ for a rainy day in the league? Isn't the point to use it to get better rather than wait for the unknown? Guys, he's some some deity thats all-knowing. He is **** to mistakes. Im glade as heck that we didn't use that philosophy in the 90's.
Sorry Mr. White and Jones, we are saving this $ incase our younger guys develope into great players. As for you Mr. Rison, we need to see what Freeman can do before we sign you.

wizard 87

Reaction score
actually from what I am reading ..starting to be a trend. KC is one also the bungles who have a crap load of revenue issues.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wizard 87 said:
actually from what I am reading ..starting to be a trend. KC is one also the bungles who have a crap load of revenue issues.

And I believe these three teams have a combined record of 3 wins six weeks into the season.

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Reaction score
angryguy77 said:
wizard 87 said:

And I believe these three teams have a combined record of 3 wins six weeks into the season.

So, you obviously don't understand the point of my post. I'm stating that Ted might be heavily URGED to be a bit conservative with money in case the CBA ends in a couple of years.

But, regardless of that, you're right. We should have spent millions like the vikings did and we would have been GREAT.

Excellent logic. It obviously works. Just look at the Vikings and the Browns. Geeez.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DoddPower said:
angryguy77 said:
wizard 87 said:

So, you obviously don't understand the point of my post. I'm stating that Ted might be heavily URGED to be a bit conservative with money in case the CBA ends in a couple of years.

But, regardless of that, you're right. We should have spent millions like the vikings did and we would have been GREAT.

Excellent logic. It obviously works. Just look at the Vikings and the Browns. Geeez.
Or those bad teams like dallas. Vikes don' t have a good qb and the browns just suck. You can't make your team great by money alone, but you can make it much better if your team is decent

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Reaction score
What big names did Dallas sign this year?? Adam Jones?? He's contributed, but definitely hasn't changed this team by any means.

Dallas has set themselves up pretty well through the draft and with one or two big FA pickups, such as TO. The Packer's and Dallas are pretty even there.

Tank Johnson and Adam Packman Jones aren't making Dallas what they are or pushing them over the edge at all.

Nice try, but that argument isn't working.

The Browns are playing like they suck, but in no way do they suck. They have plenty enough talent to be an elite team. I put the blame on coaching. No amount of money spent on free agent players will fix that . .

HotKarlneedsabeer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DoddPower said:
So, I made this in response to a post that just got deleted before I hit submit. But I think it is an interesting topic for debate"

I have a feeling there's more to our cap space then we know. With the CBA possibly expiring soon, I could see the board of directors wanting the organization to be conservative with their spending in order for the organization to remain financially stable when and if there is no salary cap. It's going to be awful hard for Green Bay to compete with the likes of Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys in spending.

But you know, or, we could just put all the blame on Ted. Whatever works.

You can't be right! If Ted is thinking or hearing that the cap will expire, he surely would have rolled the dice and gone after a Superbowl this year right? That would be the smart move if this is indeed the case, correct?

Of course, we raised part of $300 Million for Lambeau by raising the Brown County sales tax by 0.5%. Perhaps we can bankroll the team as well, then our banter will really mean something.[/i]

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DoddPower said:
What big names did Dallas sign this year?? Adam Jones?? He's contributed, but definitely hasn't changed this team by any means.

Dallas has set themselves up pretty well through the draft and with one or two big FA pickups, such as TO. The Packer's and Dallas are pretty even there.

Tank Johnson and Adam Packman Jones aren't making Dallas what they are or pushing them over the edge at all.

The Browns are playing like they suck, but in no way do they suck. They have plenty enough talent to be an elite team. I put the blame on coaching. No amount of money spent on free agent players will fix that . .

What bif free agents have we picked up? I don't see how we are even there. And sometimes thats all you need is a couple of good pick ups. We havn't done that.
If the Viks had been smart and went after a solid QB, they would be doing much better.

And if the Browns should be good but its their coach, then why are we not saying the same about MM. Can't have it both ways.

Karls motto should be read by all the homers on this board.

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Reaction score
angryguy77 said:
DoddPower said:

What bif free agents have we picked up? I don't see how we are even there. And sometimes thats all you need is a couple of good pick ups. We havn't done that.
If the Viks had been smart and went after a solid QB, they would be doing much better.

And if the Browns should be good but its their coach, then why are we not saying the same about MM. Can't have it both ways.

Karls motto should be read by all the homers on this board.

I never said we can't be saying the same about McCarthy. I think that's fair game as of right now. And that goes all the way down the line for our coaching staff right now.

And who has we picked up? How about Charles Woodson, the leader in the NFC in interceptions? Ryan Pickett perhaps? Great defensive tackle when he doesn't have to be on the field constantly. Brandon Chillar, one of our better special teams player and would be a starter on most teams. We went out and made a trade for Ryan Grant who still has the potential to be one of the better backs in this league if he has an offensive line.

So that's two big picks up at LEAST, not counting 4-5 solid pick ups. The biggest one I can think of with Dallas (although I'm not expert) is TO, who has been doing very little lately.

Hmmm . .

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, reality check. For those of you who are upset at TT and the management. Who are upset about how much Cap Space we have. Can you name me one player on Defense or Offense that would have really made enough of a difference as a Free Agent? I'm not sure there were hardly any Free Agents that really would have made a difference in how this team is doing. I can think of one name. Alan Faneca who is with the JEts a Guard, but I'm not so sure he'd have made that much a difference on the Oline. Can anyone name any other FA that could have helped?

I mean yeah, hypothetically it would have been nice if we had better quality depth or a few better players, but who would those players be. The MOre I think about it the more I realize that its a bit like early election polls. A lot of folks might prefer a Generic candidate from X Party, but when they look at the candidates being offered by X party, they may not really like them as much as the general position. The same is true here. I think some of us have this hypothetical notion that there is a player X, Y, or Z at a certain position that would have made that difference to help us beat Atlanta or Dallas, but I've not heard one person say who that Free Agent should have been. A year ago you could have maybe argued Randy Moss, I suppose, but I don't know how much a difference that would have made this year with this team. So who, who are these miracle Free Agents that some are saying would have made a difference? I'd love to see some examples cited :D

Members online