Can you lose your position due to injury in the NFL?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You hear it all the time that typically a player does not lose his starting job because of an injury but I think Scott Wells needs to be the starting center on the O-Line. Flanigan has done a tremendous job for GB in the past but he needs to stay in the past and let Wells, the better player, take over from here.

Sherman was quoted as saying Flanigan will come back as the starter...I think that's a huge mistake. Any thoughts?

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should have tryouts. The Packers have done better with Wells than Flanagan this year.

Since Green hasn't done anything this year and then got injured I was actually hoping that Davenport would be awesome on Sunday and take over starting duties from Green. But then he got injured too.

I think I'll give Green one more shot in week 7, but if he sucks then too I think we should just bench him.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate statements like that coming from a coach. It should be more along the lines of; "Well, we will let both of them get some time with the first unit and whoever is performing better will start."

This is one of my main concerns about Sherman....without knowing if his longtime starter can or will out-perform his new starter, he is already giving Flanny the job back. And in the event he comes to his senses and starts Wells, he has created a very awkward situation that can have negative ramifications in the locker room. By being neutral, he cannot come off as going against his word, and subsequently lose the trust his team has in him.

Boneheaded statement.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say stick with the O-line that has given you success. They have been a better line since Wells replaced Flannigan.
Flannigan was good in his prime but has not looked good this year for whatever reason.
This is the old "what have you done for me lately" thing and Flannigan hasn't done that good.

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad to hear from all of you about this. I agree that Sherman made a bonehead statement about Flanny coming back as the starter. That just has to burn Wells' *** doesn't it? Here is a guy that comes in, does his job, and has to know he's outperformed Flanigan. What's his reward? Sherman going to the media saying Flanny is the starter! The least MS should do is open up the competition and make Flanny earn it, which I have my doubts on...

Wells is the player of the future but the future is now for the Green Bay Packers IMHO.

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly DePack....and that is my point.

The biggest move in Packers history was Majik Man going down with the injury that allowed Favre to play and the rest is history. BUT...you hear this all the time about how a position shouldn't be lost due to an injury and now Sherman comes out and names Flanigan as his starter once he comes back from his sports hernia. We have Scott Wells in the game, playing better than the guy he replaces, yet he isn't even given the shot to become the full-time starter??? What gives?

spillage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This shouldn't be a union type job based on senority. The better player should play, period. Wells has outshined Flanigan this year. When Flanigan gets better, he should have to beat Wells out of the job he holds not take it back over just because.

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yep..yep Wells should be playing and a lot of us were saying that back in the preseason this year. Wells has outplayed him bar none. Just can't believe that MS would come out and make the statement that Flanny is the starter regardless when he comes back - I think it sucks.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well...

What do you expect from a BONEHEAD...wisdom?

The guy is a complete friggin' moron..i can't believe that you people do not see that....

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
There's an easy way around this for Sherm. Just keep saying Flanny isn't 100% healthy!

All due respect DePack, that isn't the answer...Flanny isn't going to sit back when he recovers and allow Sherman to claim a phantom injury without speaking up. He's a free agent next year and looking at one more payday, too bad it's not coming from the Packers though!
8)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I know ND...I was being facetious. Bottom line is the best guy will play. Flanny may be given another shot but if he doesn't perform as well as Wells he will lose his job. This time it won't be because of injury.

Pack66....you are refering to whom? Surely you can't be talking about Sherman? Why the sudden about-face? Thought you were a fan?

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figured as much DePack, just wasn't sure...Flanny should get a shot but I just don't see it in him anymore like it once was. I remember thinking the same about ol' man Frank Winters. The sun sets on everyone's career sometime...this may be Flanny's time.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flanagan is coming off a major injury, and the coaching staff may be thinking that it's worth tolerating a slow start so he can be up to speed by the end of the year. It's sort of like how Clifton and Tauscher got off to slow starts in 2003, and improved as the season went on.

But in this case, there should be less patience, because Flanagan is older and there are some capable guys (both Wells and Ruegamer) playing behind him. I agree with you guys that at this point it should be a wide-open competition, and may the best man win.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts