1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Can you honestly see us as making it this year?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Forget Favre, Jan 26, 2014.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,823
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Finley back in green and gold, but I'm absolutely sure he won't play another down for the Packers, and most likely in the NFL.

2. Just|Me

Just|Me Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    honestly: I never did. Because of our defense the gap between us and the top teams in the NFC is still bigger than our top offense could overcome. I mean, the weak points in our defense basically ended our postseason a year ago and where never adequate addressed during the offseason. so, imho, we are still at the same point we were a year ago...in desperate need of upgrades on ILB and S.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gbpowner

gbpowner Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98
    I have to disagree that either Jennings or Finley would have made much of a difference when we had the 3 Amigos (Wallace/Tolzein/Flynn) at the helm.

Flynn couldn't throw a fade pass to save his life! Even if it had been the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice or Don Hutson; they would have had to sprout 10 foot wing spans and grown to 7 ft tall to have been in the same vicinity as some of these passes! No small wonder our RZ efficiency tumbled.

4. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    Not only the fades and touch passes...but people underestimate what Rodgers gives them sideline to sideline. The entire playbook shrinks by 50% with Rodgers out, despite what Mac might say publicly.

5. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +329
    It is not just his knowledge of the playbook but his arm strength as well (something that I think a lot of people take for granted and don't realize how strong his arm is). All of those back shoulder passes down the sideline, the 15 yard out patterns, and the ability to get velocity on his ball from "poor" throwing positions makes a huge difference.

Those 2 pass pattern I mention above do not happen just because he knows the playbook or is in sync with his receivers, they happen because of his arm strength combined with the other stuff, there are maybe 5 QB's in the NFL that can effectively throw those routes. I think most experts would put Rodgers, Flacco, Stafford, Cutler and Brees in the top 5 for pure arm strength and the only guy that can match Rodgers accuracy is Brees.

6. Packerlifer

Packerlifer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +253

Yes and no. Yes the injuries changed this team. But the roster did get exposed for not being all it was supposed to be, too. If it was that good they should have done a little better than 2-5-1 during Rodgers' absence. And let's not forget that the Packers even had a shot at the playoffs in that last season game because the Lions and Bears blew their chances to clinch before that time.

7. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,481
    I would have given us a 50/50 or better shot of winning in Carolina, seriously.

Seattle, much less. It would have taken a near perfect game. Not impossible, though.

Had we somehow gotten past them I would have liked our chances against Denver expecting a shootout game that could have gone either way.

8. NOMOFO

NOMOFO Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +394
    That is exactly what I am referring to. MAC said he didn't take anything out of the playbook. Well, might be true... but I guarantee he's not going to make many of those same calls with Rodgers that he would the others.