Can you honestly see us as making it this year?

D

Deleted member 6794

And it will be interesting to see if we do intend to resign Finley, and how serious we are about it.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Finley back in green and gold, but I'm absolutely sure he won't play another down for the Packers, and most likely in the NFL.

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thread topic said:
Can you honestly see us as making it this year?

honestly: I never did. Because of our defense the gap between us and the top teams in the NFC is still bigger than our top offense could overcome. I mean, the weak points in our defense basically ended our postseason a year ago and where never adequate addressed during the offseason. so, imho, we are still at the same point we were a year ago...in desperate need of upgrades on ILB and S.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to disagree that either Jennings or Finley would have made much of a difference when we had the 3 Amigos (Wallace/Tolzein/Flynn) at the helm.

Flynn couldn't throw a fade pass to save his life! Even if it had been the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice or Don Hutson; they would have had to sprout 10 foot wing spans and grown to 7 ft tall to have been in the same vicinity as some of these passes! No small wonder our RZ efficiency tumbled.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I was actually talking about our current receivers as I coukdn't care less about Jennings (though you're right about his size). The reason for his better red zone production was already pointed out by HRE.

The guy we really missed in the red zone is Finley though, and if we want to improve our efficiency there we'd better replace him adequately this offseason.
I have to disagree that either Jennings or Finley would have made much of a difference when we had the 3 Amigos (Wallace/Tolzein/Flynn) at the helm.

Flynn couldn't throw a fade pass to save his life! Even if it had been the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice or Don Hutson; they would have had to sprout 10 foot wing spans and grown to 7 ft tall to have been in the same vicinity as some of these passes! No small wonder our RZ efficiency tumbled.

Not only the fades and touch passes...but people underestimate what Rodgers gives them sideline to sideline. The entire playbook shrinks by 50% with Rodgers out, despite what Mac might say publicly.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only the fades and touch passes...but people underestimate what Rodgers gives them sideline to sideline. The entire playbook shrinks by 50% with Rodgers out, despite what Mac might say publicly.

It is not just his knowledge of the playbook but his arm strength as well (something that I think a lot of people take for granted and don't realize how strong his arm is). All of those back shoulder passes down the sideline, the 15 yard out patterns, and the ability to get velocity on his ball from "poor" throwing positions makes a huge difference.

Those 2 pass pattern I mention above do not happen just because he knows the playbook or is in sync with his receivers, they happen because of his arm strength combined with the other stuff, there are maybe 5 QB's in the NFL that can effectively throw those routes. I think most experts would put Rodgers, Flacco, Stafford, Cutler and Brees in the top 5 for pure arm strength and the only guy that can match Rodgers accuracy is Brees.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're an elite team in this league without the injuries. We finished 8-7-1 with our franchise quarterback out for nearly half the season. That says something about the caliber of roster we have. Matthews being out killed us as well. I do agree that we can compete with anyone without the injuries, we proved it against the 49ers who were full strength.

Yes and no. Yes the injuries changed this team. But the roster did get exposed for not being all it was supposed to be, too. If it was that good they should have done a little better than 2-5-1 during Rodgers' absence. And let's not forget that the Packers even had a shot at the playoffs in that last season game because the Lions and Bears blew their chances to clinch before that time.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have given us a 50/50 or better shot of winning in Carolina, seriously.

Seattle, much less. It would have taken a near perfect game. Not impossible, though.

Had we somehow gotten past them I would have liked our chances against Denver expecting a shootout game that could have gone either way.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is not just his knowledge of the playbook but his arm strength as well (something that I think a lot of people take for granted and don't realize how strong his arm is). All of those back shoulder passes down the sideline, the 15 yard out patterns, and the ability to get velocity on his ball from "poor" throwing positions makes a huge difference.

Those 2 pass pattern I mention above do not happen just because he knows the playbook or is in sync with his receivers, they happen because of his arm strength combined with the other stuff, there are maybe 5 QB's in the NFL that can effectively throw those routes. I think most experts would put Rodgers, Flacco, Stafford, Cutler and Brees in the top 5 for pure arm strength and the only guy that can match Rodgers accuracy is Brees.

That is exactly what I am referring to. MAC said he didn't take anything out of the playbook. Well, might be true... but I guarantee he's not going to make many of those same calls with Rodgers that he would the others.

Members online

Latest posts