Can we discuss the CURRENT running backs?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
First off the 4.4 is skewed cause he breaks a 8 or 10 yarder once or twice a game. Then 2-3 then LOSES 2 throughout the rest of the game. You're the 2nd person to say he's ok for what we need right now. I still don't understand what that means.. What we need is someone who gives consistently POSITIVE yards so we're not in the damn 2nd/3rd and 8+. Instead we can get in more 2nd and 3rd and 2's. Then play action works and boom.. passing game opens up.

LOL so AP always gets positive yards?

How is 4.4 skewed thats his average??

He is very consistent go read his game logs, almost always will give you 50 yards a game thats not "skewed" thats what he is nothing more

This will end up as we need so and so so lets fix that now

Is Jackson the best we have right now? Or is Ryan Grant when healthy?

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kuhn has shown that he can reliably get 1 yard. as in every time even when we need more than 1.

Jackson im liking more with each week. we need to keep kuhn out unless its short yardage - 1-2 yards.

period

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is they are the best we have right now and sometimes you just have to make the best out of what you have and stop wondering and worrying over what you can't have.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wow. You're basing your opinion of him based off his average. Okay then Jackson is better than..

Frank Gore
Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
DeAngelo Williams
Ray Rice
MJD
Portis
Steven Jackson
to name a few.. seriously?

and IMO the best RB in the NFL averages 4.7 ypc. So Jackson is right behind him! lol

Is there anything else you can say to argue Jackson is good or even above average besides YPC? Because clearly that doesn't work.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's like saying my nephew should be a professional baseball player because he batted 1000 his senior year in baseball. He got three at bats all season. (he was a pitcher btw).... You can't base a players ability because he broke one 75 yard touchdown that raised his per carry average through the roof.... Take away that 75 yarder and recalculate THEN you'll see what we're dealing with!

406 yards on 93 carries is 4.4 yards per carry
subtract the 75 yard run

331 yards on 92 carries is 3.6 yards per carry... which.. .is John Kuhn and ranked #40 for yards per carry in the NFL.... do we REALLY want a #40 running back (much less two of them) starting on our offense??

I knew some hater would take out his longest play

Then go to Rodgers, Jennings, Filey, and everyone elses take away longest play and the stats to it if you want to nit pick it...Cuz its just plain stupid...The guy got 71 yards and you want to take it from him LOL

He doesnt get enough touches to prove anything more then what he is now..Grant hardly got 20 carries a game, but we all heard it, that as game went on he got better... Maybe Jackson would too?

I just wish for 2 weeks in a row Jackson gets 20 carries per game..

As it is now 11 per game means nothing..

Do I wish we had Grant, or AP or someone esle? **** yeah

But we dont and for what he is ASKED to do he is doing it..

Not fumbling, blocking good.

but we could have Lynch with his 2.8 yard sper carry and thats with the good game he had vs the Pack

I will be okay ( not extremely happy but OKAY) with Jackson..

And rest of you can ***** in one hand and crap in other, cuz in the end you get same results.

nothing

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off the 4.4 is skewed cause he breaks a 8 or 10 yarder once or twice a game. Then 2-3 then LOSES 2 throughout the rest of the game. You're the 2nd person to say he's ok for what we need right now. I still don't understand what that means.. What we need is someone who gives consistently POSITIVE yards so we're not in the damn 2nd/3rd and 8+. Instead we can get in more 2nd and 3rd and 2's. Then play action works and boom.. passing game opens up.

Newsflash: That's what RB's do. They hit a couple big ones and get stuffed on a couple small ones. Every ******* running back in the league takes the occasional two or three yard loss. It happens to Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, and yes, Brandon Jackson.

And the "If you take away this one run" ******** is retarded. If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, and if I won the lottery I'd be rich. Neither of those are true. He got the yards, didn't he? They were legit yards, right? So why insist that they be discounted?

No running back breaks a big run every single snap they play. Not. A. Single. One. They hit plenty of two or three yard gainers, lose a couple from time to time and then eventually break off a big one. I'm not sure why people expect Jackson to be any different.

BTW, look up LT's stats from yesterday- 16 for 54 and 3.4 ypc. Now compare that to Brandon Jackson- 15 for 55 and 3.7 ypc. Pretty close numbers considering both teams sold out to stop the run.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's like saying my nephew should be a professional baseball player because he batted 1000 his senior year in baseball. He got three at bats all season. (he was a pitcher btw).... You can't base a players ability because he broke one 75 yard touchdown that raised his per carry average through the roof.... Take away that 75 yarder and recalculate THEN you'll see what we're dealing with!

406 yards on 93 carries is 4.4 yards per carry
subtract the 75 yard run

331 yards on 92 carries is 3.6 yards per carry... which.. .is John Kuhn and ranked #40 for yards per carry in the NFL.... do we REALLY want a #40 running back (much less two of them) starting on our offense??

so your judgement of RBs is Yards Per Carry this season? Okay I can live with that. I generally do that too with some exceptions.

By that reasoning Chris Johnson, Ray Rice, Ryan Matthews, Frank Gore, DeAngelo Williams, Ronnie Brown, and MARSHAWN LYNCH all are worse RBs than BJACK :)

did you really compare high school baseball averages to NFL averages?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. You're basing your opinion of him based off his average. Okay then Jackson is better than..

Frank Gore
Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
DeAngelo Williams
Ray Rice
MJD
Portis
Steven Jackson
to name a few.. seriously?

and IMO the best RB in the NFL averages 4.7 ypc. So Jackson is right behind him! lol

Is there anything else you can say to argue Jackson is good or even above average besides YPC? Because clearly that doesn't work.

What I am saying and been saying

HE DOESNT GET ENUFF CHANCE TO PROVE ANYTHING BUT WHAT HE IS

MORE MIGHT SHOW HE WEARS DOWN AT THE END OF A GAME

MORE MIGHT SHOW THAT AS GAME GOES ON HE GETS BETTER AND CAN GET 5,7,8 PER CARRY WITH HIS 20TH AND 25TH TOUCH

MY GOD PEOPLE

and I was yelling cuz no one ever reads that part of my posts, only focus on the fact I think Jackson is OKAY

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can we take away clays sack too? That was a pretty big play. If that was the case we could talk about how little he contributed yesterday.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My eyes. Oh my eyes.

My take? Jackson is a running back. Lemme re-phrase. Jackson is a common running back.
If we had a great OL, JAckson would be getting amazing numbers. And the OL isn't blocking badly right now, so Jackson had a good game against a top D.

And LTF is right, after more touches, after the D is tired, Jackson can be very effective.

But, looking at film, Jackson gets too much bad yardage. Players like LT (fully healthy), Peterson, Johnson, they get the extra yardage. They're harder to bring down. They identify holes better.

Jackson too many times leaves yardage on the field. If we were a running team, no way in hell we could rely on him.

I do think that, once Nance gets the 3rd down role, jackson will get more carries, and the running game will be better. Not like with Grant, but better, though.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can we take away clays sack too? That was a pretty big play. If that was the case we could talk about how little he contributed yesterday.

Haha, great point. Maybe take away Jennings 30 yard catch yesterday too. Man, Rodgers and Jennings just aren't cutting it at all! /sarcasm

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew some hater would take out his longest play

nothing

So just because I don't think Brandon Jackson is a solid choice for running back, I'm a hater? F THAT! I've been bleeding Green and gold since I was born and want to see the Packers succeed just as badly as anyone. All I'm saying is we can't and won't succeed with Jackson. We're barely a playoff team without a running game. Don't you get it that the reason we're not running the ball more isn't because MM is a moron, but it's because Jackson isn't that good?! With your logic, you should be saying that Samkon Gado is a good running back and he succeeded because of line play, NOT talent. YES we have to go with what we have in Jackson, but how many stuffed 3rd and 2 plays are you wanting before you realize that Jackson isn't the answer??

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think that, once Nance gets the 3rd down role, jackson will get more carries, and the running game will be better. Not like with Grant, but better, though.

This is a good point I failed to recognize. Part of the reason he doesn't get more catches is probably because he's also needed for that 3rd down blocking role.

BTW, for those wondering, Nance was out due to an ankle injury suffered in practice. Not sure how serious it is.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Newsflash: That's what RB's do. They hit a couple big ones and get stuffed on a couple small ones. Every ******* running back in the league takes the occasional two or three yard loss. It happens to Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, and yes, Brandon Jackson.

And the "If you take away this one run" ******** is retarded. If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, and if I won the lottery I'd be rich. Neither of those are true. He got the yards, didn't he? They were legit yards, right? So why insist that they be discounted?

No running back breaks a big run every single snap they play. Not. A. Single. One. They hit plenty of two or three yard gainers, lose a couple from time to time and then eventually break off a big one. I'm not sure why people expect Jackson to be any different.

BTW, look up LT's stats from yesterday- 16 for 54 and 3.4 ypc. Now compare that to Brandon Jackson- 15 for 55 and 3.7 ypc. Pretty close numbers considering both teams sold out to stop the run.

You are so defensive it's insane. You also aren't really comprehending what I'm saying? No **** every RB takes losses, but go watch all three games and tell me you can put Jackson in the same category (or close) and come back and i will lol @ you. Both Peterson and Johnson are quick, fast, find the holes, and break tackles. Jackson does none of that. If he breaks long ones, it's typically because the line has opened big holes for him, and Jackson guessed correct. If you can't see it all I can say is take off the glasses guy. And both teams did not sell out to stop the run. I'm not sure where you got that from. They were hardly putting 8 guys in the box on our I-FORMATIONS. lol

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are so defensive it's insane. You also aren't really comprehending what I'm saying? No **** every RB takes losses, but go watch all three games and tell me you can put Jackson in the same category (or close) and come back and i will lol @ you. Both Peterson and Johnson are quick, fast, find the holes, and break tackles. Jackson does none of that. If he breaks long ones, it's typically because the line has opened big holes for him, and Jackson guessed correct. If you can't see it all I can say is take off the glasses guy. And both teams did not sell out to stop the run. I'm not sure where you got that from. They were hardly putting 8 guys in the box on our I-FORMATIONS. lol

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Very good posting again Stylz.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My eyes. Oh my eyes.

My take? Jackson is a running back. Lemme re-phrase. Jackson is a common running back.
If we had a great OL, JAckson would be getting amazing numbers. And the OL isn't blocking badly right now, so Jackson had a good game against a top D.

And LTF is right, after more touches, after the D is tired, Jackson can be very effective.

But, looking at film, Jackson gets too much bad yardage. Players like LT (fully healthy), Peterson, Johnson, they get the extra yardage. They're harder to bring down. They identify holes better.

Jackson too many times leaves yardage on the field. If we were a running team, no way in hell we could rely on him.

Really good post. I said a week ago that Brandon Jackson is just "a guy". He's nothing special, just what Green Bay has at this time.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nowhere did you see me say I thought Jackson was as good as Johnson or Peterson. I've never once made that claim.

No, what I did correctly point out is that EVERY RUNNING BACK IN THE LEAGUE GETS TACKLED FOR A LOSS FROM TIME TO TIME. For example, it happened to Johnson a couple times vs. Jacksonville and even a couple times yesterday vs. the Chargers. Happened a couple times to Peterson as well. I'm not sure why you expect Brandon Jackson to be flawless when even the best RB's in the league aren't.

You act like we have the worst running game in the league. The Packers currently sit at 22 in rushing while Brandon Jackson is currently 18th. I know the cynics will point out that both are in the bottom half of the league, but I'll point out neither are the bottom of the league.

It is what it is. Yes, it could be better, but it could also be worse.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nowhere did you see me say I thought Jackson was as good as Johnson or Peterson. I've never once made that claim.

No, what I did correctly point out is that EVERY RUNNING BACK IN THE LEAGUE GETS TACKLED FOR A LOSS FROM TIME TO TIME. For example, it happened to Johnson a couple times vs. Jacksonville and even a couple times yesterday vs. the Chargers. Happened a couple times to Peterson as well. I'm not sure why you expect Brandon Jackson to be flawless when even the best RB's in the league aren't.

You act like we have the worst running game in the league. The Packers currently sit at 22 in rushing while Brandon Jackson is currently 18th. I know the cynics will point out that both are in the bottom half of the league, but I'll point out neither are the bottom of the league.

It is what it is. Yes, it could be better, but it could also be worse.

We are a passing offense, I think it would be somewhat counter productive if we were anywhere higher than 14th.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Really jackson isnt quick?

Damn you got me I been saying he was as fast as AP or Stephen all along

:shock:

I personally never said his talent level is the same correct?

I said for what we need he is doing the job

He is nothing more then a 50 yard a game guy

He is just a guy

I guess no one reads all my points I make, they generalize my entire post chew on it and **** it out

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So just because I don't think Brandon Jackson is a solid choice for running back, I'm a hater? F THAT! I've been bleeding Green and gold since I was born and want to see the Packers succeed just as badly as anyone. All I'm saying is we can't and won't succeed with Jackson. We're barely a playoff team without a running game. Don't you get it that the reason we're not running the ball more isn't because MM is a moron, but it's because Jackson isn't that good?! With your logic, you should be saying that Samkon Gado is a good running back and he succeeded because of line play, NOT talent. YES we have to go with what we have in Jackson, but how many stuffed 3rd and 2 plays are you wanting before you realize that Jackson isn't the answer??

Ok sorry for saying HATER but your dont like him lol

Tell me what is Grants avg carries per game for his career as a starter in GB?

Well I'll tell ya

16 carries per game

So MM doesnt USE the running game like a reg coach does...

My point once again

Jackson doesnt get enuff carries to show us what he is really like

You want to take away his one long run, fine do it..but why? cuz its a SMALL sample

11 carries a game is to small of a smaple to REALLY figure out what we got..

Does it appear he is just average and will NEVER be anything more

yes

But give him 20 GAME TO PROVE OTHER WISE

BTW Grant is a 4.4 runner too

So i am going to go and take away every 25+ yarder he ever had and come back with those stats that way we are comparing both runners equally

Members online

Latest posts