Can this team compete going forward even with Rodgers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you think this effort today, and the past two and a half months, by the Pack is strictly a lack of defensive scheme or coaching, you’re not very bright. This is a lack of talent issue, and it falls squarely on Teddy. Every NFC playoff team clearly has a more talented roster than us built for the long term and it's not even debatable. The Vikings aren't going anywhere anytime soon so all we can hope for are wild card berths for the foreseeable future unless the necessary changes are made.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends if MM and Capers are still around. I think MM relinquishing playcalling duties to someone more competent would go a LONG way. During today's game I saw Nelson on the sidelines mouth "THIS ******* PLAYCALLING" after a WR screen on 3rd down. Even the players know MM sucks.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their backup QB was an absolute albatross this year and Dom's firing has been long overdue.

Both of those will be remedied for next season and they'll be competing again. Nonsense that all they can hope for is wild cards for the foreseeable future.

OP
OP
gonzozab

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not on the Fire MM train, but if Murphy does the right thing and cans Teddy, chances are the new GM will want to bring in their own head coach, which would be fine with me. Teddy is holding this organization hostage with his never ending draft and develop philosophy, hardly ever adding key free agents to put the team over the top. If you're going to do the D and D/ undrafted free agent strategy you'd damn well better be great at it, and he has been far from great.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh ******** :). They don't even have a quarterback under contract for next season I do t want to hear about their next decade of dominance just yet.

Our roster needs some work, they have their best opportunity in a decade to strengthen it.

OP
OP
gonzozab

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Jason Wilde tweeted, If you’re Mark Murphy … and you watched this game … even considering all the injuries/starters out … with McCarthy saying the Packers are playing for “pride” and “the G on our helmets” … and this is what they’ve done ... does this game give you pause? Or doesn’t it matter?

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
With all the cry’s again of fire them, unfortunately we will see the same staff next year, my biggest fear is that opponents now know even though they will not admit it, focus on knocking out Rodgers, and a key receiver or two, because their backup will never take them any where but down....

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is terrible. His scheme is stale and exploited. We were shut out twice without Rodgers. Even the Browns aren't as bad as our offense has been in his absence.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
W/O Rodgers and no D at all we could never compete with what we have now, only keep watching other teams move on.

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
Depends if MM and Capers are still around. I think MM relinquishing playcalling duties to someone more competent would go a LONG way. During today's game I saw Nelson on the sidelines mouth "THIS ******* PLAYCALLING" after a WR screen on 3rd down. Even the players know MM sucks.
Hahaha I saw that too!!

OP
OP
gonzozab

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers did the same thing in the Cowboys game, saying "Stupid f'ing call". Play calling has been questioned by players as well as fans. I don't think Rodgers is as fascinated with MM as he would let you believe.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers did the same thing in the Cowboys game, saying "Stupid f'ing call". Play calling has been questioned by players as well as fans. I don't think Rodgers is as fascinated with MM as he would let you believe.
I watched the game on DVR and I swear even MM didn’t look as if he was that interested in the game today. Maybe he knows his days are numbered. And I swear his blind allegiances to Capers and Hundley should be reasons for skepticism

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the Packers should/could be relevant for the next 4-5 years. At the time of Rodgers' injury, the Packers were 4-1. This offseason the Packers will have a top 14/15 1st round pick, 4 picks in the top 3 rounds and money to spend in free agency (if they decide to go that route). The Packers must've have realized that this team can only go as far as Rodgers takes them. Hopefully, Thompson spends the money and puts the proper players around Rodgers.

Hbg Packers fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So going forward what do you think mgmt. Should do regarding the QB situation? Find a capable backup to AR or start looking for his future replacement? We definitely need the former.

OP
OP
gonzozab

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So going forward what do you think mgmt. Should do regarding the QB situation? Find a capable backup to AR or start looking for his future replacement? We definitely need the former.
I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference, but they need to bring in a wily veteren Doug Pederson type to back up Rodgers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference, but they need to bring in a wily veteren Doug Pederson type to back up Rodgers.

I woukld love that as well but I don't know if that guy is out there. Certainly not as a FA right now. Someone may get cut who would fit the bill but right now any potential QBs that would give that presence is going to want to go somewhere where they can compete for the starting job. According to sportrac these are the FA QBs right now.

Drew Brees QB 38 NO TBD 15 4,089 22 10 2 8 5 $24,250,000 UFA -
Kirk Cousins QB 29 WAS TBD 15 3,935 27 167 3 10 13 $23,943,600 UFA Market Value
Sam Bradford QB 30 MIN TBD 2 382 3 -3 $18,000,000 UFA Market Value
Jay Cutler QB 34 MIA TBD 13 2,660 19 32 14 6 $10,000,000 UFA -
Josh McCown QB 38 NYJ TBD 13 2,926 18 124 5 9 11 $6,000,000 UFA -
Drew Stanton QB 33 ARI TBD 4 749 5 8 4 2 $3,250,000 UFA -
Chad Henne QB 32 JAC TBD 2 -5 $3,250,000 UFA -
Ryan Fitzpatrick QB 35 TB TBD 6 1,103 7 78 3 $3,000,000 UFA -
Derek Anderson QB 34 CAR TBD 3 17 -2 $2,350,000 UFA -
Mark Sanchez QB 31 CHI TBD $2,000,000 UFA -
Case Keenum QB 29 MIN TBD 14 3,358 21 160 1 7 1 $2,000,000 UFA Market Value
Matt Moore QB 33 MIA TBD 4 861 4 9 5 $1,775,000 UFA -
Scott Tolzien QB 30 IND TBD 1 128 2 2 1 $1,750,000 UFA -
Teddy Bridgewater QB 26 MIN TBD 1 -3 1 $1,712,376 UFA -
Geno Smith QB 27 NYG TBD 2 212 1 12 2 $1,200,000 UFA -
Kellen Clemens QB 34 LAC TBD 7 36 -3 1 $1,000,000 UFA -
Tyler Bray QB 26 KC TBD $962,500 UFA -
Chase Daniel QB 31 NO TBD 1 -2 $900,000 UFA -
Joe Webb QB 31 BUF TBD 15 35 54 1 $900,000 UFA -
Josh Johnson QB 31 HOU TBD $900,000 UFA -
Blaine Gabbert QB 28 ARI TBD 5 1,086 6 82 6 7 $895,000 UFA -
Jimmy Garoppolo QB 26 SF TBD 5 1,268 5 12 1 3 1 $870,975 UFA -
Austin Davis QB 28 SEA TBD 3 -1 $855,000 UFA -
E.J. Manuel QB 27 OAK TBD 2 265 1 15 1 $800,000 UFA -
Brock Osweiler QB 27 DEN TBD 6 1,088 5 66 1 5 2 $775,000 UFA -
Brandon Weeden QB 34 TEN TBD $775,000 UFA -
T.J. Yates QB 30 HOU TBD 3 386 4 42 2 5 $775,000 UFA -
Matt Barkley QB 27 ARI TBD $775,000 UFA -
David Fales QB 27 MIA TBD 1 $690,000 UFA -
Tom Savage

Even if we assume all of them reach the open market guys like Brees and Cousins are obviously out of the question and even someone like Keenum and McCown and Bradford will get a chance to compete after the year they had thus likely not to be interested in coming to Green bay where their only hope to play is an injury to Aaron Rodgers.

If we could convince McCown that a backup role is right for him He would probably be my choice but like I said earlier I think he will get a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere or at least go somewhere where the starter is no where as entrenched as Green Bay. Besides that he will be 39 by next season.

I'm not even going to bring up he who shall not be named.

The only three I wouldn't mind seeing are Matt Moore has won games and will likely be a backup and maybe Derek Anderson but has he played in a game in forever. I seem to recall the last time he did he wasn't very good but he did have some success for a short time and maybe Fitzpatrick ? I could see either of these guys coming in and pulling a Keenum or a Foles. Other than that I don't see anyone on the list that would have much confidence in to come in for another 6 or 8 weeks and win more than 2 games which I think is what you are asking for.

Now there might be some younger guys that would be worth a look see but they wouldn't be that wily veteran Doug Pederson type. Maybe we could convince old Doug to unretire. He did do a pretty darn good job coaching the Eagles.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yes, the Packers should/could be relevant for the next 4-5 years. At the time of Rodgers' injury, the Packers were 4-1. This offseason the Packers will have a top 14/15 1st round pick, 4 picks in the top 3 rounds and money to spend in free agency (if they decide to go that route). The Packers must've have realized that this team can only go as far as Rodgers takes them. Hopefully, Thompson spends the money and puts the proper players around Rodgers.

This is precisely why I don't want Thompson in there anymore. They have the $ and the picks to turn this thing around. My fears keep coming true and I further fear Thompson isn't the guy to make the right moves going forward.

Cheese Meister

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For years I have felt so goes Rodgers, so goes the Pack. The viking fans cheered when Aaron was carted off the field because they knew the Packers were out of playoff contention. So did I. When Aaron broke his shoulder I said "There goes the season."

Aaron was the keystone of the Packers. Loose him (and ALL the teams know this) and the Pack is just another crummy team to beat up on.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course it can! We were 4-1 when he got hurt.
Remember going into the season, everyone was saying that the first five games were the tough ones, and that if we could get through those, we'd be in good shape? I don't think hardly anyone expected us to be better than 4-1 at that point. But then Rodgers got hurt and the wheels fell off.

Would we have won the division or contended for the #1 seed had Rodgers not been injured? Or would the weaknesses that we all saw in the rest of the team show up and drag us down anyway? Unfortunately, we'll never know. The best we can hope for is Rodgers is healthy next year, we pick up some good talent in the offseason, and the new DC whips this team into playing inspired defense next year. Go Pack Go!

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You make sense. I just dont feel MM would ever let someone else call the plays. He is arrogant, stubborn and over proud. He is insecure. That's why he pronounced himself as a highly successful NFL coach!! No one can do it as good as he can...I'm being sarcastic. No one will ever call plays again but him, so he should go away!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online