1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Can the Pack stop Peterson?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by MontanaBob, Nov 5, 2007.

1. brnt247

brnt247 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The good thing about going against the Vikings is that they don't have a TE who will hurt our safties. With Collins out and Bigby in a bit of a slump right now that would have been a tough cover.

However, Bigby is very good against the run and stacking him in the box with Harris and Woodson pressing against their recievers I think we have a great shot at containing him. I see us playing 8 in the box pretty regularly and KGB not very involved in the game. Jenkins hopefully finds a way to push the oline around and let Barnett and Hawk make the plays. If we want to win we need to tackle AP on the first chance, we can't let him break tackles and get into the second level.

Our offense however should flourish vs the Vikes. Jones and Jennings should be running up and down the field with Lee and Driver opening up the middle and flats. A few slants to Jennings and Driver will set up big plays downfield.

My projected offensive stats-

Favre 28-40 375 2td 0 int.

Grant 14 carries 46 yards

Driver 7 catches 80 yards.

Jennings 4 catches 85 yards TD

Jones 3 catches 70 yards TD

2. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    I think the smart play is Rouse in the box and Bigby back with Collins out.. Bigby has a little more chemistry with the corners at this point.. but heck of a second post.. Welcome..

3. Danreb

Danreb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We stopped him once and we'll stop him again.

But don't let the purple fool you--Adrian Peterson is a freakin' stud. Him in purple scares me more than Randy Moss back in the day. The Vikings hit a home run picking this guy.

But he has a tremendous flaw. Watch him run. It's not careful at all. He runs straight up with a stiff posture, and that's just him guaranteeing an injury. If Peterson were to take a shot, he'd instantly get hurt unless he changes that stance he runs in.

I mean, in college he injured himself doing a TD celebration.

4. brennan1884

brennan1884 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    theres also another flaw people arnt mentioning, he fumbles. WE gotta for the strip when hes in a pile becuase hes got a few fumbles this year already. One more thing to mention, the vikings are one dimensional, they have no pass game, i say we stack the box and make them beat us with the passing game.....it wont happen

5. johnny_blood

johnny_blood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We didn't stop Peterson. Childress stopped Peterson in that game.

That said, I think we will contain him.

He will be a thorn in our side but if I remember correctly, we played Barry Sanders twice a year for a long time, and did pretty well for ourselves.

6. LambeauEast

LambeauEast Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This is how I'm looking at it. He will get his yards, we just have to "contain" him". Of course that means 100-150 yards, but we have to put 8-9 in the box. If there was any passing game I'm not afraid of, it's the Queens. Although the Rice-Bush matchup kinda oogs me out, but that's it.

7. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Keep them out of the end zone. Thats all that matters.

8. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    The linebackers have to stay home and stay in their zone. Our backers tend to bite hard and over run plays that always leads to danger. If the linebackers stay in their zone, you can control him. The other key is to keep the ball in your hands and control the game and get the lead so they can't sit in their running game. He is the real deal, that's for sure.

9. brennan1884

brennan1884 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    how about flipping that question.....maybe we wont be able to completely stop ap, the guy is a gifted athlets

but heres my question

can they stop favre and our receivers

the answer is no!

10. packattack92

packattack92 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    exactly. let him break his own record, but if we stop them from scoring we are set. Our offense is on fire.

11. vikefan

vikefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If Tavaris is playing, it'll be tough to win, even with Peterson. The guy might be a QB some year but not this one.

The key will be the defense......they played lights out against SD and need to do it again.

The problem there is Favre is not Rivers.

12. mike_donnelly

mike_donnelly Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If we get a big lead up on them, then they are going to have to do time management. If anybody knows anything about time management, you try to use the run as little as possible.

13. Gattocheese

Gattocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No we cant stop Peterson. We could not before. He is a stud but that O-line sure deserves alot of the credit as well. As long as we dont turn the ball over alot i think we come away looking really nice in this game. I saw some stat predictions, i am gonna jump on the wagon.

Favre- 24-36 320yds 3tds 1int
    Grant- 18 for 73yds
    Lee - 89yds 1td
    Driver- 65yds 1td
    Gennings- 120yds 1td

14. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll tell you exactly how to stop Adrian Peterson. It's actually quite easy for us (not for most other teams).

You take him out of the game by starting off super aggressive. Get the passing game going and run up the score early.

Childress will get all freaked out and abandon the running game.

Now, if we keep the score close, Childress might do something intelligent and use AP a lot. That won't bode well for us.

15. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You're on the right track.
    Favre throwing for 350 yards and 3 TDs and hitting our WRs constantly will be better than AP running for 150 yards and scoring a pair of TDs.

We take out AP by scoring first, scoring often, and forcing the Vikings to pass to keep up.

16. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    We have a stout scheme against the run designed to disrupt the blockers and let the LB's take over and it works well for us.

We will not stop Peterson but the Vikes will be able to stop our passing game less. They are second worse against the pass and we run stop fairly well so...they're not in a great spot here.

We're not that great at running it which is what they are good at stopping but we can sure pass it and they can't stop the pass. This is not a good matchup for the Vikes.

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    GOOD post!!!!
    Go for the ball!

18. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No. As we've seen time and time again this year, a good passing game trumps a good running game.

19. brennan1884

brennan1884 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i honestly not worried about this game at all......btw......weather man is calling for firdgid weather at the tundra.....

GO PACK GO

G FORCE TOWELS!!!!!!!!

20. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    That's exactly what I just said. They will not stop our passing game.

21. brennan1884

brennan1884 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    theres no way in hell we loose this game......unless the packers beat themselves, we would be 8-0 right now barring stupid turnovers. To be quite honest I think we have by far been the best team on the field for every game this year in regards to our opponents.

22. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I'm looking for sharpness. let's keep the ******* penalties to a minimum, PLEASE!

23. brennan1884

brennan1884 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i know ...its getting really old screaming about penalties every week

24. Danreb

Danreb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not about stopping Peterson. It's about stopping the referees.

25. brennan1884

brennan1884 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i swear the refs have been doggin us all year, the bubba td catch, that bull **** call agaisnt the bears on the field goal, numerous holding and defensive penalties......its gettin assinying