can the pack continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so far #4 has averaged 40-45 passes a game. can the packers continue to win with no running game. on 4th and 1, we could not run in in, MM has said he has no confidence in his running attack, how long before the offense is a more balanced attack? will it happen in 2007?

i'd like to see some RB get at least 20 carries. my pick is Wynn.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'd like to see us win.

there's already a thread about the running game with some great post. you should check there and you'll get a good idea about what a lot of people here think about our running game.

so far #4 has averaged 40-45 passes a game. can the packers continue to win with no running game. on 4th and 1, we could not run in in, MM has said he has no confidence in his running attack, how long before the offense is a more balanced attack? will it happen in 2007?

i'd like to see some RB get at least 20 carries. my pick is Wynn.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are using the short pass instead of the run, that's a tactic that has won superbowls, so don't worry.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are using the short pass instead of the run, that's a tactic that has won superbowls, so don't worry.

I agree. Whats the difference between a 4 yard run, and a quick slant? Espicially with our recievers! You have Driver who is illusive when he catches the ball, and Jennings/Jones who are strong.

°Jacob°

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yah thats always good but i think when morency is back the running game will pickup atleast a bit.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Using a short pass instead of a run is pretty usual for the west coast offense we run.

McCarthy is running an offense that is very similar to that of the old Bill Walsh west coast offense.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Using a short pass instead of a run is pretty usual for the west coast offense we run.

McCarthy is running an offense that is very similar to that of the old Bill Walsh west coast offense.

Yesterday with as much as they were using the empty backfield look, I was starting to think the RunNShoot made a come back.

Whatever gives us the best chance to win, is what we should run.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the pure west coast offense McCarthy is running, it's the best scheme when you execute it properly. Sherman's was extremely poor and outdated.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The West Coast offense is actually like this to an extent. The short passing game and screens is basically the running game. The reason why you haven't seen this much is because everyone has their version of the west coast offense and a true west coast offense doesn't really exist. Seattle is close wiht Mike Holmgrem but he has Shaun Alexander too.

The last one to look like this was probably Bill Walsh's whom was the inventor of the west coast offense. So as bad as the running game is, keep in mind that the short passes and screens are really our running game. If you can find tape on the old 49ers it's a good comparison. I'm not saying we're in that class but I think that's what we're going to have to do to win games.

Now another thing to factor in is eventually teams are going to have to play the pass against the Packers. That'll open up passing lanes. Green Bay will just pass the ball until teams can stop it and when they do the running lanes should open up.

It's going to be interesting to watch.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look how a short pass can turn into a big TD!
Hey, if Favre can keep throwing like this, and our guys keep catching, who CARES HOW we get the yards and the wins?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
MM has said he has no confidence in his running attack

Did McCarthy actually say this, or are you just making stuff up again? I would like to see the actual quote and the source, please.

I would too. I don't care how lousy your players are, you never say "i have no confidence in the running game." and ESPECIALLY not from a 3-0 team. I call serious ******** on this thread. quit making **** up.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't say it............it's just another statement taken and expanded into something completely different.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The West Coast offense is actually like this to an extent. The short passing game and screens is basically the running game. The reason why you haven't seen this much is because everyone has their version of the west coast offense and a true west coast offense doesn't really exist. Seattle is close wiht Mike Holmgrem but he has Shaun Alexander too.

The last one to look like this was probably Bill Walsh's whom was the inventor of the west coast offense. So as bad as the running game is, keep in mind that the short passes and screens are really our running game. If you can find tape on the old 49ers it's a good comparison. I'm not saying we're in that class but I think that's what we're going to have to do to win games.

Now another thing to factor in is eventually teams are going to have to play the pass against the Packers. That'll open up passing lanes. Green Bay will just pass the ball until teams can stop it and when they do the running lanes should open up.

It's going to be interesting to watch.

I remember the 49ers under Walsh one year won the Superbowl with a bunch of young noname guys...

The basic idea of the West coast offense popularized by Bill Walsh is to use short slants and short horizontal routes to stretch the defense and open up passing- and running routes, in fact forcing the defense to play honest by playing unpredictable, that is why you need good routerunners (and that is why we picked Jennings and Jones instead of other receivers the fans yelled for).

However in the true West Coast offense, the passing game is 65 - 80% of your offense.

The philosophy McCarthy is developing in Green Bay looks more like Bill Walsh's old West Coast offense than any other variant of it I've seen.

Remember a lot of HC's in the NFL actually derive from Walsh in one way or another.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MM says "We game planed to throw, because their DB's are suspect"

Someone will say "SEE!?!? He said he has no confidence in our running game!"
Some just TRY to stir up crap for their own entertainment.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On an internet message board? NOWAY - say it ain't so Cheesey :D

Seriously while the running game hasn't blown the doors off I believe it has accomplished most of what MM has asked of it. I'm not so sure Morency's return is going to make that much of a difference. Jackson, Wynn and Grant are getting the job done

I do not believe GB has "abandoned the run" - they simply chose to exploit the passing game when they gameplanned SD (hmmm - similar to how NE did which similar results).

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

On an internet message board? NOWAY - say it ain't so Cheesey :D

Seriously while the running game hasn't blown the doors off I believe it has accomplished most of what MM has asked of it. I'm not so sure Morency's return is going to make that much of a difference. Jackson, Wynn and Grant are getting the job done

I do not believe GB has "abandoned the run" - they simply chose to exploit the passing game when they gameplanned SD (hmmm - similar to how NE did which similar results).

Thank God somebody else realizes that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
"We have to do what we feel is in our best interest to move the ball and score points," Philbin said. "Tuesday afternoon, you're not drawing up an 80-percent pass, 20-percent run game plan, typically. But when you win a game, you don't really give a (expletive)."

Mike McCarthy

"I would prefer to be a heavy run team, but that's just not the way we're built right now, and that's not the way that gives us the best chance to score a lot of points in my opinion," McCarthy said. "Now that's week to week. But there will be a time here where we'll pound the football."

"It's not that I don't believe in our players," McCarthy said. "I am getting more comfortable with our runners, as far as the different things we're asking them to do. You have to have a comfort when you call particular plays in certain situations, and there have been some growing pains there."

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Did McCarthy actually say this, or are you just making stuff up again? I would like to see the actual quote and the source, please.

MM said
You have to have a comfort when you call particular plays in certain situations, and there have been some growing pains there.
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/09/24/2/

in other words, we ran passing plays on 4th and goal 'cause i have no confidence in our running game!

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MM says "We game planed to throw, because their DB's are suspect"

Someone will say "SEE!?!? He said he has no confidence in our running game!"

and sometimes...if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, guess what...it is a duck!!

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think sooner or later teams are going to force the packers to run. I don't think brett can continue to pass 45 times a game. sooner or later the weather will get cold and the team will have to run the ball. i'd like to see what wynn could do with 20 carries.

it already seems that B-Jack is going to be used on passing downs. the team started out w/grant at rb, and not b-jack.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
dhpackr said:

MM said
You have to have a comfort when you call particular plays in certain situations, and there have been some growing pains there.

in other words, we ran passing plays on 4th and goal 'cause i have no confidence in our running game!

He did not say it...big difference..

If you also read about that play, he also said. Brett isnt going to like the replay, cuz he didnt throw to the right guy..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
i think sooner or later teams are going to force the packers to run. I don't think brett can continue to pass 45 times a game. sooner or later the weather will get cold and the team will have to run the ball. i'd like to see what wynn could do with 20 carries.

it already seems that B-Jack is going to be used on passing downs. the team started out w/grant at rb, and not b-jack.

Is your 1st name Cliff??

Cuz that is almost word for word as to what Cliff on sports radio 1250 out of Milwaukee said at about 220 pm local time..

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

Is your 1st name Cliff??

Cuz that is almost word for word as to what Cliff on sports radio 1250 out of Milwaukee said at about 220 pm local time..

yeah, i work on milw radio, then post on here as a hobby. it is common sence...everywhere, but here on this forum. most fans want to know why the supposed #1 RB, is not starting at RB. don't you wonder why a guy that got to the packers through a last minute trade is starting over the 2nd round draft choice.

Myself, and many other packer fans do!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
dhpackr said:

MM said

This is not the same thing as saying he has no confidence in the running game. He was talking about a particular situation, not making a statement about the running game in general.

So this thread is based on a lie and I am through with it.

And by the way: Cheer up. The Packers are 3-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts