Can the O-Line really get the job done ?

• Thread starter I_am_smoked_cheddar
  • Start date

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What you talking bout Willis ? The O-Line could use a Bakhtiari at starting RT.

From what I've heard, this may be a reality. Bakhtiari has impressed so far in TC and might beat out Newhouse. Sherrod? /sigh. Maybe by mid-season he'll get some playing time and then we'll see.

A real shame that Tretter broke his ankle. Would have liked to see his potential.

So what will it be? Going from left to right, Bulaga, Sitton, Dietrich-Smith, Lang, Bakhtiari?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what or who is the solution for our O-Line woes but all I know is this problem has extended all the way back to the Superbowl year when injuries started to pile up. ............................

I'm not going to pretend to have the solution of who or what will resolve it but I'm going to ask the question do you think it's a personal problem or a coaching problem and that includes the conditioning/ training staff as we have seen a slew of O-Line injures in the last 3 years including most notably the Superbowl year. One could be the result of the other such as the injuries as a result of poor training/ coaching/ conditioning.
I think you answered your own point. Bulaga and Sherrod were both drafted in the first round to be the LT of the future. Injuries put Bulaga at RT until now and is keeping Sherrod out of the picture. The rest were just draft and develop guys for backup roles and interior line spots. EDS is the latest of these to step forward after seeing how Lang did it. Newhouse was a seat warmer and was in over his head at LT. He was not drafted to be there, Sherrod was. The line is still quite young and hopefully are getting to the top flat spot of the learning curve where it all starts to make sense. Sitton is there and hopefully Bulaga joined him. EDS and Lang need to be there soon so we will just need to wait for whomever at RT to catch up. Maybe they should all get the hat that Sitton sported at Family Night.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Will Bakhtiari start at RT ?
Will the run blocking be better this season ?
Will the pass protection protect Rodgers ?
Will E.D.Smith be the answer at center ?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The guy's want to hear your opinions !!!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Will Bakhtiari start at RT ?
Will the run blocking be better this season ?
Will the pass protection protect Rodgers ?
Will E.D.Smith be the answer at center ?

The guy's want to hear your opinions !!!

He is in a 3-way struggle for it now. At worst the #2 RT, LT, and C.
The line is picked for their pass blocking ability not run blocking so I'd not expect major changes.
Will he learn to trust it and not abuse it by holding the ball even longer?
Yes

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like Bulaga may be out for the season :( The O-line already was our weak spot, losing our best tackle only makes it worse.

So the question is, who will play on the left? I would say Newhouse, since he has tons of experience on the left. Than Baktiari and Barclay will compete for the right side. My guess would be that the O-line will look like this Newhouse-Sitton-EDS-Lang-Baktiari.

Also troublesome is the O-line depth. We only one NFL level back-up in Barclay (assuming he loses against Baktiari and Newhouse). Than van Roten, Datko (who has a bad camp) or Taylor has to be lineman number 7. My guess would be van Roten wins this competition, but we will see.

At least, I hope that Sherrod will be healthy soon, because we might need him.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, we went into the second round of the playoffs and scored enough points to win with Newhouse at LT, and it sounds like Bakihari is an an upgrade over Barclay at RT and maybe even an upgrade over Newhouse at LT. Unless there's another injury, our line will be better than last year.

We DO NOT NEED TT to make a trade that will hurt the team long term for what is actually one of our deepest positions on offense.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said trade? Plenty of guys to take off someones practice squad once cuts are made. I am still intrigued by Jared "big lazy" Gaither. If they can somehow get him to buy in to the Packer way he might be worth a look. If they got him and he was a dedicated player and teammate he would be a huge upgrade.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Don' Panic , it could just be a sprain !!!

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

It calms the nerves and settles the stomach.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say that it just saved the Packers salary cap a lot of money...unless we go out and use it on a free agent. I don't see that out of TT but then again, this is a mighty blow to the O-line. I'm not advocating for it but TT seems to shift strategies just when you think that you've figured him out. As has been widely reported, he did a 180 in 2009 when he traded back up into the first round to get Clay Matthews. Nobody expected that move out of stingy old TT.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't really know that ACL injuries are something that get someone termed injury prone, unless it's a non-contact thing. Getting rolled up on by a player is something that's more of a freak bad luck thing than anything else. Positions other than oline you'd probably see value drop substantially since the athleticism doesn't really come back after the ACL injury in professional-age players, however I don't think that's the case for an oline guy.

I'd say it lowers his value in that he'll have missed all but a handful games in two seasons, not injury-prone but lack of a large sample size of his play. Let's remember that he had a great 2011 but his 2010 was poor and his 2012 was up-and-down at best.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am still intrigued by Jared "big lazy" Gaither.

Gaither, are you serious! He was horrible in San Diego and was a huge distraction. The guy is lazy and actually faked injuries, at least that what his teammates say. Everyone in the San Diego squad hated the guy. San Diego even cut before OTA's him even though they did not gain any cap space by doing so. We need to stay away from this guy, we cannot use a distraction in the locker room.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Datko can be the tackle. He's certainly got the size at 6'6" and ~320. But I would imagine there will be a revolving door at Lambeau of veteran tackle candidates in the next few weeks--maybe even Clifton??

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Don't really know that ACL injuries are something that get someone termed injury prone, unless it's a non-contact thing. Getting rolled up on by a player is something that's more of a freak bad luck thing than anything else. Positions other than oline you'd probably see value drop substantially since the athleticism doesn't really come back after the ACL injury in professional-age players, however I don't think that's the case for an oline guy.
ACL tears are common in non-contact situations. It's often when the foot is planted and the player changes direction. I agree it doesn't signal "injury prone" any more than any other injury. Football is a contact sport and injuries happen. I don't have a clear definition of "injury prone" and I think it's used too often by fans but Justin Harrell sure seems to fit the bill.
Athleticism doesn't take a hit at all but support in that knee will always be questionable. It's no different for any position in NFL football.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

I'd say it lowers his value in that he'll have missed all but a handful games in two seasons, not injury-prone but lack of a large sample size of his play. Let's remember that he had a great 2011 but his 2010 was poor and his 2012 was up-and-down at best.

Bulaga played 9 games in 2012, now he is gunna be out for all of 2013.......how does that not hurt him? Playing only 9 out of 32 games due to injury in 2 seasons? Might be considered not durable by some teams. All but a handful of games? You might want to re-check that.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as losing Bulaga hurts, it could have been worse. We have options at tackle--none as good as Bulaga, but we have them. We won a lot of games with Newhouse and Barclay. DH looks good and I look forward to seeing what he can do at LT.

An injury at center would have been far, far worse. Who's EDS' backup?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts