Can Packers Defense Take Pressure Off Favre?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
(AP) GREEN BAY
For the Green Bay Packers, this year isn't about Brett Favre and his gunslinging.

At least it's not supposed to be.

While Cheesehead Nation spent the offseason fretting about whether Favre would return for another season, general manager Ted Thompson spent much of his time -- and his free-agent money -- trying to build a better defense.

In theory, that would allow new coach Mike McCarthy to take pressure off Favre, making a stubborn commitment to the running game and taking shots downfield only when warranted.

It's a philosophy Favre seems to buy into.

To a point.

"I'm more willing to bend and do it the way they want to, but they also know I play a certain way," Favre said. "So we'll see."

After a 1-3 preseason, it's unclear whether the defense and running game will be reliable enough to convince Favre he doesn't have to try to make something spectacular happen on every play. That attitude led to a career-worst 29 interceptions last season, as Favre tried to compensate for the loss of several top offensive players to injury.

The offense should be boosted by the return of running back Ahman Green, but the offensive line remains suspect. Starting a pair of rookie guards and attempting to install a new zone blocking system, the Packers averaged only 3.3 yards per carry in four preseason games.

And opponents converted 54.8 percent of their third-down chances against Green Bay's revamped defense, which gave up 48 points to the Cincinnati Bengals in the third preseason game that is generally considered a dress rehearsal for the regular season.

If both those trends continue to drag the Packers down, will Favre's gunslinger tendencies resurface?

Favre has promised to try "dinking and dunking," but it might be too late to teach the suddenly gray-haired three-time MVP new game management tricks.

"I want to play perfectly," Favre said. "And there's only one way I know how to play, and that is aggressive. At times it's not pretty. Does it hurt the team at times? I don't know, I'll leave that up to you guys to decide. But I will go down swinging."

Favre caused a moderate stir early in training camp when he pronounced this year's team, seven months removed from a 4-12 season, the most talented he has ever played on -- adding the important caveat that it was also the least-experienced team he has ever played on.

Favre isn't backing off his assessment, but it has become clear that it might take time for the rookie-heavy roster to develop.

"We've got a lot of work to do, there's no question about that," Favre said. "There's times we've had some good moments and some bad moments, and that's not uncommon considering the amount of new guys that we're playing, getting some guys back who were injured."

With an inexperienced line and Green coming off his ruptured right quadriceps tendon, it might be natural to expect the offense to struggle in the preseason. But the defensive struggles were something of a surprise.

Despite their record, the Packers weren't awful on defense last year, especially considering how often they were put in bad positions by Favre's interceptions.

Thompson found four new starters in the offseason, signing cornerback Charles Woodson, safety Marquand Manuel and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett in free agency, and drafting A.J. Hawk with the fifth overall pick.

In theory, the Packers should have a top-level secondary, with Woodson and Al Harris at cornerback and Manuel and highly regarded Nick Collins at safety. But the four haven't spent much time on the field together.

Harris and Woodson both skipped the majority of the team's voluntary offseason workouts. Manuel participated in the workouts, but was injured for the early part of training camp.

McCarthy has blamed communication problems for some of the team's defensive struggles.

McCarthy also wants to see improved chemistry from the offensive line, where rookies Jason Spitz and Tony Moll were chosen as starters after the second preseason game. The Packers have experienced tackles in Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton, but the entire unit has struggled with the zone-blocking system.

"That's why we made the decision as early as we did, because they need to play," McCarthy said. "And we've just got to continue to work it. But when the scheme works, it's obviously very effective."

Green has looked sharp in camp and should be a good fit for the new blocking system, but needs holes to run through.

"I know I can help this team out," Green said. "This team depends on me, too, if I'm healthy. That's one of my main goals."

One of the brightest spots in the youth movement has been second-round pick Greg Jennings, a wide receiver out of Western Michigan. Jennings has unseated Robert Ferguson to start opposite Donald Driver, although the Packers will use Ferguson frequently in three-wide sets.

"You can't be satisfied, or you can't become complacent," Jennings said. "Especially in the business, especially when guys are breathing down your neck to take your job, you can't (ever) become complacent."

By CHRIS JENKINS

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it can. Charles Woodson should be solid in my opinion. Better than Carroll in my opinion and I'm judging him off of past games and practices as well not just one game. Pickett has looked good from all reports. AJ Hawk is starting to come on. I'm a big Brady Poppinga fan and I think finish 2nd in sacks behind KGB this year. Colin Cole has played solid as of late. Manuel is my big question right now.

I think Favre needs to take pressure off the D as well though. Setting the opponent up in scoring position every other drive sure doesn't help. So if both can come together things should be ok. It's the running game and o-line that worry me the most heading into this season and keeping only 4 WR's makes no sense at all either.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone worried for Brett cause no help was brought in on offence but I think the guys brought in on defence will benefit him the most. This year he'll be able to throw it away and let the D get him the ball back. On the other hand if he does throw a pick at least it won't automatically be a score against them. Now Brett just has to use that to his advantage, and have faith in them

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think anyone who is signable now other then a trade is someone that probably is of no use or they would already have a job unless we're waiting for the FBI to release us a list of players released from the pen. Seems to be enough of those.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm so ****ing tired of hearing all this **** about Favre and his INT's. He's held accountable but what about the other 52 ****ing players and coaches. He's the one piece I don't fret about. There are another 10 people on offense and another 11 on D. Let alone the Special teams which are about to take the Special bus to the games. AHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. I'm tired of this ****. Can anyone play their ****ing position without Brett taking Blkame for their own inadequacies. Jesus Christ....give it a rest.

Sorry to all....but enough is enough. Let's play some football w/o blaming Brett for everything. Just because the economy is in the sink, housing prices are beyond reachable, and the Cailfornia drivers exam is printed in ten ****ing languages.....it's not all of Brett's doing. He's the one thing right with the Pack...and the world. Give me 53 Brett aafavres at every position and the SB trophies will never stop. He plays his *** off and tries to win on every play. I'm out.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frustration go very high when it comes to talking about Brett Favre and interceptions. The fact of the matter is, no matter how we view the players around him, that Brett threw way too m any intereceptions last year. I don't care what the reasons were, you can't win when your QB throws 29 interceptions. The fact of the matter is that Brett is a HOF QB and I just happen to expect way more of him than what happened last year. That's just the way it is. I think Brett is a superb quarterback. Last year he wasn't.

As for the defense, unless you guys see something I didn't see in preseason, I don't know how the defense is going to help Brett cut down on interceptions. The defense looked incredibly weak to me and I am very surprised at that.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Frustration go very high when it comes to talking about Brett Favre and interceptions. The fact of the matter is, no matter how we view the players around him, that Brett threw way too m any intereceptions last year. I don't care what the reasons were, you can't win when your QB throws 29 interceptions. The fact of the matter is that Brett is a HOF QB and I just happen to expect way more of him than what happened last year. That's just the way it is. I think Brett is a superb quarterback. Last year he wasn't.

As for the defense, unless you guys see something I didn't see in preseason, I don't know how the defense is going to help Brett cut down on interceptions. The defense looked incredibly weak to me and I am very surprised at that.

he had no choice but to throw the ball in the air. thats what happens when your team is down in the 4th quater and you dont have many playmakers on offence.

yes they did lose games because of his ints but the games where very close because of him.

if it wasnt for him the packers would have lost every game by +10 points.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going back to the original question, can Packers Defense take pressure off Favre? I strongly think yes.

Favre has a history of being spectacular in the red zone. Get him good field position and he'll shine. Favre's weakness is when he's backed in a corner. Well, it's not really a weakness, but more like a loaded hand grenade. One day it will blow up the opponents, one day it will blow up us.

So yes, the defense would help. My main concern though is the OL and the running game. I think those two elements have a much bigger impact with taking pressure off of Favre than the defense.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
Going back to the original question, can Packers Defense take pressure off Favre? I strongly think yes.

Favre has a history of being spectacular in the red zone. Get him good field position and he'll shine. Favre's weakness is when he's backed in a corner. Well, it's not really a weakness, but more like a loaded hand grenade. One day it will blow up the opponents, one day it will blow up us.

So yes, the defense would help. My main concern though is the OL and the running game. I think those two elements have a much bigger impact with taking pressure off of Favre than the defense.

I have the same two concerns as you ( OL and Running Game ) and to be honest I just could not tell enough from pre season to be sold on either. Sorry, my answer to this is I just don't know. I think our D should improve as it gels but will it be ready for the Bears ? Not sure either but at least the Bears offence will not be one of the better ones we face this year. The only thing I can tell you is that I am glad we are going up against a tough D first game. This really will help us get ready for games two and three. Cheers !!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
It was a cycle. Everything contributed to everything else.

Last year def was a negative cycle of various events that I really believe we won't see again !!

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the defense will make a lot of big plays, with Barnett Poppinga
(or Taylor) And Hawk back there, thats hard to stop. GB's two great DE's are back with a new DT Ryan Pickett and I'm not sure who's the starting DT. Safety Marquand Manuel and Nick Collins seem very reliable and solid. Cornerback, The returning Al Harris, with the brought in FA Charles Woodson, everyone says that woodsons washed up but I can see hmi and Harris making stops and interceptions.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, i mean its simple football, and i never even read the article. A top ranked defensive team takes pressure off of any QB, because if the opposing team is unable to score points, then that's the less points the "Offence" has to put up.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main problem with this defense, or should I say the key to this unit being effective is having the ability to pressure the QB. We have a bunch of harworking overachievers on the DL, but none(with the exception of KGB) has shown great pass rush ability. Also, during the preseason the LB blitz looks were nothing to write home about.

This will be the key to the overall success of this unit. If the line has success getting to the QB everything else will snowball into a top 10 unit.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts